Anja the Type 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Saturday I got a fair amount done.

Windscreen washer motor all hooked up and working. Rear seat replaced. Wheels were dropped off. Painted a bit of the underbody with sound deadener/anti-corrosion stuff.

Then I headed up to my grandparents place. Zero reception. I helped my Uncle out with his mountain bike trail he's building. Earlier today we got home, so I figured I'd tick the last couple of things off I wanted to do before I took her to Regency. I pulled her out of the driveway so I could grab a few photos of the height change.

This is at stock height, so I am pretty happy with how she sits at this height.

Unfortunately there was an issue with the left hand side brake light. It just wouldn't work. So I called on a couple of mates, they came around and boom, the brake light issue is resolved.

So, I decided I didn't want it looking too daggy anymore. I got rid of the roof racks and the sun visor. Now it's all clean and smooth.

Now all I am waiting for is the new number plates and she's ready for clearing the defect. Have to wipe down the engine too, but I can do that the morning I drive there.
    Last edited by SebastienPeek; 06-09-2014, 04:53 AM.
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

I started splitting the 15" RS' last night. Just want to get them apart so I can decide what size lip and barrel I want to go.

Unfortunately the brake setup that I want is super pricey for the Square. Have to buy that before I can really test fit the wheels at the rear properly.
      1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
      there there.

Comment

this is so sick. I liked the sun visor though!

Comment

So, here's some photos of the wheel splitting progress. Yay.

Original specs of my set of RS034's.
          15x6.5j +17 5x114.3

Original bolts are the worst to get out. This is probably the shittest job. Splitting three piece wheels that have never been split before since being made.

1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
          there there.

Comment

refinishing never split wheels is a bitch haha
            Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Now isn't that the truth!

I might go out tonight or tomorrow and grab a rattle gun. Might make life a bit easier.
              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
              there there.

Comment

Defect cleared.

She's on the road legally.
                1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                there there.

Comment

congrats bud

Comment

Thanks Anth.

Now it is time to put some miles on her. I'm pretty sure the front wheel bearings are starting to get noisy, so will probably fix that when I get the brake setup I want. Got a credit card, so first purchase might be the front brake setup and rear brake setup.

I might be purchasing the old brakes off of Zelda, but need to figure out if the front brakes are a direct replacement or not.
                    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                    there there.

Comment

Killer man! I love the color

Comment

Took her out last night for a little drive and to test out the heaters. Which work, but unfortunately the heater boxes are welded to the current installed extractors. I have to either source used heater boxes or buy brand new ones (around 330USD each) so I can run the exhaust system that I want to purchase.

Anyway, moving along. I grabbed the following two pictures out on the trip last night. Too much noise, but oh well.

Now I have been given word that my brake setup from Zelda will be a direct replacement on Anja. The only downside will be that I'll need to go to smaller brake shoes at the rear but that doesn't really bother me really. I also have to find a set of daily wheels with 5x114.3 PCD before I fit up the brakes. Unless I just take her off the road until I build the 15's up.

She needs a wheel alignment before I do any of the brake changes though. She pulls ridiculously to the left.
                        1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                        there there.

Comment

Drove past Anja's doppelganger this morning on the way into work. Was awesome.
                          Gave the driver the thumbs up and he returned it with a massive grin on his face.

This is why I missed driving an old Volkswagen.
                          1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                          there there.

Comment

Picked up front disc brakes today for Anja.
                            Hopefully I'll pick up the rear drums over the next week or two. I might put the front discs on while I wait to hear back in regards to when I can pick them up.

I also grabbed some other little bits like a replacement fuse box and a very special number plate.

Speaking to Harvey made me really think about what I want out of Anja engine wise.
                            So I have ordered the first bit, a replacement exhaust and a pair of J tubes. No heaters.

I'll be planning on building a mild 1916cc engine for her. Should give her enough grunt for some fun.
                            I'll have to write out a list of parts I need to get and then slowly accumulate them. I think I want to sort out paint first, but will see what I can do.
                            1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                            there there.

Comment

So, today I decided to install the front disc brakes. I removed the disc brakes from the struts yesterday.

I couldn't really be bothered cleaning them up as I just wanted to get them on. After a few braking cycles the rotors will clean themselves up. I need to get some brake pads that are specific for cross drilled rotors as well. Anyway, moving along. Original discs had to be removed.

I was met by a dodgy repair on the speedo cable. The speedo cable is threaded from behind and through the dust cap. A circlip is then placed to hold the cable in place. It had been siliconed instead of fixing it properly.

The next step is unbolting the brake calliper. I made up a breaker bar from my trolley jack handle. It made removing the untouched bolts holding the calliper on a lot easier.

The next step is to remove this nut that holds the rotor onto the spindle. Using an allen key and a 19mm spanner, I got this off and was faced with a big issue.

It was at this point I ran into a bit of an issue. I grabbed the new rotor and put it up against the spindle. I tried to bolt it up and realised there wasn't enough thread. I then took to removing the backing plate and was faced with another issue.

The bolts that held the backing plate on.

So, out came the angle grinder and I cut them back.

Once that issue was rectified with the bolts protruding, the rotor popped straight on and bolted up perfectly. I then bolted the calliper back up, put the dust cap back on and threaded the speedo cable through. Took a few times to get the circlip working 100% but now it is fixed as Volkswagen intended.

Then I repeated the above on the other side (bar the speedo cable) and got the wheels bolted up. Some Ford stock wheels from an EF Falcon I believe. I can't remember the exact specs but now I have them on.

They're a 195/50, so the front sits a bit lower now as previously they were 165/80's all round. Now I just have to get the rear drums organised and hopefully that all goes to plan.

Things are happening which is good!

1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                              there there.

Comment

Subscribed.

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

Working...
                                X