No announcement yet.

'73 mercedes 280, gas, blue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorry i haven't been on here, almost everything in my area of jersey got wrecked from a huricane last weekend, i don't have internet at home yet.

mushroom, whats the outer dia. of your shocks? and what are you using for the lower shock mounts? and where does it look like the bag is going to rub the shock? at the shock eye? also how is the bag mounted to the control arm? can you move to bag more towards the subframe?

the kyb w107 benz front shocks i was going to use are a larger outer dia. and have a much larger od bushing in the shock eye then the monroe suzuki shocks i have in now. the w107 shocks would have contacted the bag right in the area where the eye is welded to the shock tube. my suzuki shocks clear the bags by over a .250", i will try to get a picture when can. i did modify lower shock mounts that were from w107 kyb shocks to space the lower eye of the shock and mounting bracket itself closer to the hub.

i did go back and forth with the idea of using an re5 in the front in the begining but the proof is in the pudding:

re5: 5.5" Diameter 2.9" Collapsed Height 8.0" Extended Height
    re6: 6" Diameter 2.9" Collapsed Height 10.0" Extended Height

and not saying anything bad about dreamstate's old benz, (i wouldn't have my car if he wasn't on vortex years ago) but it is not close to aslow as mine, and has to have that lower spacer in place to achive an inch less then of lift then i have. that car drives with 125 psi in the front bags where i sit at the same height @ 80psi.
    Last edited by bobbyjones; 11-02-2012, 09:56 AM.

build thread?

Comment

• glad to hear everything is well with you man ! Hopefully sandy didnt hit you too hard.
      C280 Build Thread
      C43 ///AMG Build Thread
      E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

• I was just wondering how you faired through Sandy.
        IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

• Sorry to hear about the hurricane...

I read this just in time I was about to order RE5's for the front but I gotta look into it first. My only problem about the Re6's is that I might need to grind the lower control arms and that might make the car fail the safety testing..
          Check out my Alfa restoration here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8l...7WzTiNj8Xy6C4A

Comment

• Originally posted by A4crn View Post
            Sorry to hear about the hurricane...

I read this just in time I was about to order RE5's for the front but I gotta look into it first. My only problem about the Re6's is that I might need to grind the lower control arms and that might make the car fail the safety testing..
            do you need a front sway bar for safety testing? other wise i don't think and one is going to see any changes to anything.

build thread?

Comment

• No, a sway bar isn't essential, welding and grinding on suspension components maybe a failure but if done well it doesn't attract attention and should pass. The extra travel and lower running pressures make the RE6 sound interesting. I'm trying to do as much research as possible as I have buy the bags online and it can be a hassle to return/wait for a different set.

Once I get the car back from the shop (its been there forever!!) I'll take some measurements and what not and see what shocks can fit.

Comment

• Glad you made it through Sandy...she was a bitch for a lot of people unfortunately.

Well my shocks will rub on the lower mount and on the side of the shock on the side of the bag...theyre a very small diameter actually being for a 70 camaro. Was gonna try and find the samurai shocks but theyre special order around here, which is retarted given the amount of lifted/stock ones around haha.The lower mount im running is the oem shock mount taken off of the stock shocks with washers in place for spacers. It almost seems as if I need an upside down shock of some sort to make it 100% its not gonna rub. Im afraid if I move my bag back anymore its gonna rub on the subframe...its close now. I do like the re6s in the aspect that they take soooo much less air to air up than my last front bags.

Comment

• sandy wasn't too bad for me, we live like 15 miles inland now, about two years ago we use to live on the island that is totally destroyed now, it's sad to see the pictures of what it looks like now.

Originally posted by Mushroom_Toy View Post
                  It almost seems as if I need an upside down shock of some sort to make it 100% its not gonna rub.
                  thats exactly what i was looking for at first, haven't found anything in the right size with the eye on the shock rod and threads on the tube side yet.

can you just move the lower half of the bag more inward? there are three mounting points on the bottom of the bag. the center one i have alined with the the back of the hole on the control arm in the center on the spring seat and the mounting point on the bag that would be closest to the wheel is alined with the front of that same hole. i did have to cut one plate with two holes on it to sit under the control arm out of 3/16" steel.
                  Last edited by bobbyjones; 11-03-2012, 09:06 AM.

build thread?

Comment

• Could you not make custom offset upper &/or lower shock mount relocation brackets to move the top of the shock out that 1/4 inch you seem to need? (I can't see from those pics how close it is to the horseshoe curve of the control arm.)

Changing the shock angle will marginally affect ride, unlike a blown bag which may catastophically affect it!
                    52 Ford f1
                    62 Pontiac Bonneville
                    69 300SEL6.3 x 2

Comment

• How The hell have I missed this thing! Gorgeous, loving the blue. Another 115 up here is running the same wheels as you. We really need a 114/115 group. Glad to see my pictures being used as reference.

The third w114/115 I've seen in person actually being used on the road alongside my green machine at Berlin Klassik in Kitchener, Ontario this year...

Comment

• Those two look so good together
                        Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

Comment

• Originally posted by Zman86 View Post
                          How The hell have I missed this thing! Gorgeous, loving the blue. Another 115 up here is running the same wheels as you. We really need a 114/115 group. Glad to see my pictures being used as reference.

The third w114/115 I've seen in person actually being used on the road alongside my green machine at Berlin Klassik in Kitchener, Ontario this year...

your car next to the yellow one just shows how much work as went into that car over the years, it looks amazingly clean. i still follow your thread on vortex and get jealous from time to time.

build thread?

Comment

• ^thanks so much, but in reality, my car is in quite poor condition, rust is starting to get bad. Floors, rockers, rear quarters, fenders, etc. I'm torn between restoring the green one or buying a really clean rust free one and swapping everything. I personally would like to restore mine, but it will be a long and time consuming process...

Just put up the pic of the yellow one because quite a few of these things are popping up these days, it was cool to see another in person. Yours it looking great, I absolutely love the color!

And I'm running Monroe sensatrac 5752 shocks in the rear. I'm finding they are only lasting a year, but have not found a higher quality one to try yet.

Comment

• Creepy gf is creepy?

Good looking car though. Restauration is always a tough choice and long road. But you the. Know the car 100% more and even happier to drive it.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

• Originally posted by Zman86 View Post
                                How The hell have I missed this thing! Gorgeous, loving the blue. Another 115 up here is running the same wheels as you. We really need a 114/115 group. Glad to see my pictures being used as reference.

I never posted on your thread but saved every pic of the suspension for reference. Thanks for posting. I was at Berlin Klassik in Kitchener too, the beige benz was pretty cool!!

Comment

Working...
                                X