Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7mgte 2wd hilux swap (its gonna take a while)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T1Riley View Post
    fuck yeah blink 182! haha
    nothing but the best

Comment

progress has been slowed as chili peppers, the killers, grinspoon and childish gambino are on for big day out next year and i couldnt go without a ticket. sorry hilux

Comment

Originally posted by jlaffo91 View Post
        nothing but the best
        indeed

IG: Nick475

Comment

got the head back from cleaning and surfacing. will upload pics soon. i am sorely tempted to buy another car. there is a licensed ke70 corolla with new tires, anf rego just paid for 600 bucks, and then a 2jz-ge and gearbox for 500 bucks. heavily tempted to make a purchase but im trying to resist and focus on the hilux and e21.

Comment

Head is going in tomorrow to get surfaced and ultrasonic cleaned. i agree.

Comment

nice thread KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

Comment

some pics of the cleaned and surfaced hea. i am yet to start putting things back togather but ill try and knock some stuff off this weekend. head has a bit of pitting but nothing major. it'll be all good. apologies for the phone pics.

just home from work and its friday woooo. off to drink beer

Comment

Bought a valve spring compressor today. Will start rebuilding the head tomorrow

Comment

so got some stuf done on the head today. stayed up late so only took a quic ksnap of the head. valves are back in with springs etc. just need to drop in the cams and seals and all will be good. also put some cardboard as sugested infront of my radiator. thankfully my heater now blows warm again and the engine actually heats up. also after the head was cleaned i didnt really notice a great difference until i put togather a comparison. did wonders around the valves

will get more pics when i have the head completely reassembled
                    Last edited by jlaffo91; 07-22-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Sorry about no updates. The gasket kit i got was missing 2 valve seals so has held me up. Annoying how something so tiny can be such a problem. Also the 22r alternator in my hilux stuffed up, blew the regulator and a bunch of other stuff so i have to replace all that now. Still not charging even with a new alt, reg, fuses, rewired. Looks like its the excitor behind the dash, so ill try rip into ittomorrow. I think this is the car telling me it doesnt want to be modified.

Comment

cool build man can't wait to see the finished product!

Comment

50 bucks!!!! 7mgte with BHG. came complete with a340 trans, and 160,000km. torque converter looks pretty new as well. finally got the hilux fixed. was a bad relay which supplied 12v to the voltage regulator.

Comment

so i know i havent updated in ages. you'd think being on holidays would make things pregress a bit faster but somehow theres always something to distract you. got myself a w58 (i think) at last at a great price of $50. seals and bearing replaced but never got put back in the car so its in great nick. put some fresh oil in it and all seems well. only problem is that im fairly certain it may be from an older celica. maybe an ra60.65 as it has a 21r bell housing so now i need to source a 7m housing. on the upside i can now swap in the bix with the current 22r to mae sure all runs smoothly.engine is basically built but im missing a couple of small gaskes here and there. the sort that get with a full set but are impossible to get on their own. that aside i have put in some thermo fans with the supra radiator and removed the mechanical one. measured things out and i got plenty of room for the 7m. just waiting for a new shifter bushing to arrive and ill throw in the gearbox. had a hell of a time getting the filler bolt off. some one had stuffed the hed on it. i tried EVERYTHING to get it off. snapped an easy out aswell. ended up welding a piece of stee rod to it and using a 1.5m cheater bar. with some heat it finaly came off. then just cut off the rod and welded a nut to the top of the bolt. not pretty but i ran outa gas so i used flux cored wire and lots of power. its not going anywhere.

also spent a day in the inspection pit digging out years of sand and committing genocide on spider colonies. my mum took this, as some people found it hilarious to take the pressure washer i was using and spray me with it knowing i couldnt get out in a hurry

hopefully next update will be an installed gearbox

Comment

got the gearbox in. the mount sits a coupke of cm further back so i cut the mount and welded it back about 1cm, then welded the cutout piece back on as a brace. box is in. seals are good and gear changes are smooth with no whining noises in any gears. i am happy. i only have shitty phone pics as it was late and i was tired. havent done anything about covering up the hole i cut in the floor so the gearbox could sit back. for now i have a towel covering the front of hole to avoid me breathing in fumes.

will clean it all up in time. still chasing a few odd bits for the 7M but helping my brother with his S14 and dad with his E30 at the moment

Comment

Keep it up! It's a pretty bad ass truck in the making. That's a dope "inspection pit" by the way. I'm jealous.
                                The only thing lower than my standards is my truck.

Build thread!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X