This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
    I thought to myself "what would dave do?" then I realized "holy fuck! Im dave, and Id burn that shit to the ground".
    so how bad am i fucking up my 221,000 KM trans

i dont use the clutch to up shift. i pull it out of gear, put it lightly into the next gear but it doesnt pop in until the magic RPM, no grinding or aweful noises
    Originally posted by M.Burroughs
    I'd have to say this site was founded on building the cars we wanted to build, despite if the rest of the car community liked it or not. This site was founded on freedom of automotive self expression and the passion that goes in to each and every build... This site is about doing what you like, whatever makes you happy, and not caring about what other people think...

Comment

• Originally posted by jared1988 View Post
      so how bad am i fucking up my 221,000 KM trans

i dont use the clutch to up shift. i pull it out of gear, put it lightly into the next gear but it doesnt pop in until the magic RPM, no grinding or aweful noises
      Clutchless shifting, don't do it. If you're being serious, you're a fucking moron for doing it that often. Once in a while I'll do it just for kicks but that's fucking dumb to do it all the time.
      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Why ever do clutchless shifting?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kielan View Post
          Clutchless shifting, don't do it. If you're being serious, you're a fucking moron for doing it that often. Once in a while I'll do it just for kicks but that's fucking dumb to do it all the time.
          jesus i didnt say i ran over fucking children. its a $1k car, i could give a shit as long as it runs until 2014.

i dont do it all the time. i do put it nuetral w/o the clutch more often though

Originally posted by Alexander View Post
          Why ever do clutchless shifting?
          my legs hurt from working out. my trans is picky as fuck and the timing from 1-2 has to be exact other wise there is annoying lurching. because racecar
          I'd have to say this site was founded on building the cars we wanted to build, despite if the rest of the car community liked it or not. This site was founded on freedom of automotive self expression and the passion that goes in to each and every build... This site is about doing what you like, whatever makes you happy, and not caring about what other people think...

Comment

jesus i didnt say i ran over fucking children. its a $1k car, i could give a shit as long as it runs until 2014.

my legs hurt from working out. my trans is picky as fuck and the timing from 1-2 has to be exact other wise there is annoying lurching. because racecar
            That's some fucking bullshit excuse. Get an automatic.
            - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kielan View Post
              That's some fucking bullshit excuse. Get an automatic.
              thats cool

Comment

• You'd rather damage the trans and it's syncros instead of hurting your leg?

Comment

Lolwtf
                  Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

• You're going to have a shit ton of issues when your synchros blow (which sounds like they're having a blast 1st to 2nd already). Even with my blown 5th synchro shit is a pain, can't imagine what a bitch it'd be for the primary gears.
                    - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander View Post
                      You'd rather damage the trans and it's syncros instead of hurting your leg?
                      thanks

Originally posted by Dudermagee View Post
                      Lolwtf
                      i get lazy, go fuck yourself

Originally posted by Kielan View Post
                      You're going to have a shit ton of issues when your synchros blow (which sounds like they're having a blast 1st to 2nd already). Even with my blown 5th synchro shit is a pain, can't imagine what a bitch it'd be for the primary gears.
                      coulda said that in the first place. i was looking for a quick simple answer. i thought it was power shifting but that was wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
                        from all the rage in here, i thought it was friday
                        Might as well start early.

Originally posted by Gator View Post
                        Lol at people seriously thinking that they can have a unique car, as soon as someone else sees it (IF, big if, it was original in the first place) someone else will be doing it
                        lol

Originally posted by The Man View Post
                        wut
                        lolwut. You are?

Originally posted by Haole View Post
                        Just got fired from my job for being sick, I think the phrase FML can now be used appropriately.
                        Originally posted by Haole View Post
                        Was going thru a "flare" with the shit that I have. I told my boss 3 weeks ago that some days were more painful than others and I might need a day or two off.

He said that was fine and he would work with me. Have a Dr. appointment Wed. to get ish figured out. Boss calls today and lets me go, no warning or anything.
                        Lame.

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
                        burn the building down?
                        Who took my stapler?

Main Page - Facebook - Flickr - Instagram - Twitter
                        Originally posted by Oxer
                        You know who Jason is? Anyone here read the Bible or know most of the stories etc? Who's the guy that stands at the gate and decides if you get into heaven or not? That's Jason. He processes everyone in the intro threads and welcomes them.
                        Originally posted by Average_Jerk
                        Also you relinquish all of your rights by posting in RT. You can be banned at any time for no reason at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.Burroughs

Comment

In theory (and this is in theory, mind you), if there's NO load on the drivetrain when you move the stick from a gear gate into neutral, then you've worn the gears only minimally more than normal.

Going INTO gear is a different story. Knowing the rev versus vehicle speed correlation is important in a non-synchro transmission, or a transmission where you want to preserve synchro life. Otherwise, you'll just wear and grind your gears doing this.

HOWEVER, if your clutch pedal fails and you must absolutely drive the car, this is the way to do it. Car & Driver did an article on this exact thing a few months ago.

We obviously do not recommend this, but it's doable. Kinda like Kielan -- not recommended, but doable in a pinch

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                            www.stanceworks.com

I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

• Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
                              In theory (and this is in theory, mind you), if there's NO load on the drivetrain when you move the stick from a gear gate into neutral, then you've worn the gears only minimally more than normal.

Going INTO gear is a different story. Knowing the rev versus vehicle speed correlation is important in a non-synchro transmission, or a transmission where you want to preserve synchro life. Otherwise, you'll just wear and grind your gears doing this.

HOWEVER, if your clutch pedal fails and you must absolutely drive the car, this is the way to do it. Car & Driver did an article on this exact thing a few months ago.

We obviously do not recommend this, but it's doable. Kinda like Kielan -- not recommended, but doable in a pinch
                              thanks.
                              like i said, i dont grind em. i put a small ammount of pressure until it pops in. i wasnt thinking that clutch-less shifting was the greatest for the trans but i dont know enough about a trans to give a correct reason why i could or couldnt be harmful. so if i didnt hear grinding i thought everything was coo

Comment

thanks.
                                like i said, i dont grind em. i put a small ammount of pressure until it pops in. i wasnt thinking that clutch-less shifting was the greatest for the trans but i dont know enough about a trans to give a correct reason why i could or couldnt be harmful. so if i didnt hear grinding i thought everything was coo
                                Exactly. So you should be fine, just a bit more wear than if you used a clutch pedal, that's about it. Especially if you're careful.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                                www.stanceworks.com

I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

Working...
                                X