No announcement yet.

E30 Coilover options for budget ballin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's actually fucking legit. I do (kinda) value handling, but FORM > FUNCTION. My roommate drives a MINT Monte Carlo SS, which he cut a coil out of last weekend. Still handles decent, though he regrets it and now has proper springs on order.

Is cutting OK!?

Comment

• Well, cutting is fine to an extent, when you cut a spring the rate goes up, but the shocks are still too long, and for aggresive fitment (like my rears which rub rim) its too soft. I think a coil and a bit is ok, after that it starts to get dicey i suppose. It's not that the spring will break, but its hard on your strut towers and shocks when the shocks are too long and the springs aren't stiff enough or long enough to keep from bottoming out.

However I've been dailying like this for well over 10k, plus a trip down to ocean city which was roughly 1100kms one way from good ol Canada.

My advice, do it as temporary, but be prepared to break stuff, and it is quite hard on the car. I can't rock any people in my back seat without a pretty constant rub under any acceleration, even in 5th. That and the pan being less then 2 inches from the ground on soft springs is pretty risky, but fuck it, sucks to roll hard.
      Last edited by Dutchy; 11-18-2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• I would expect the JOMs to be of decent quality, although there is hardly anything out there to go off of in the e30 application. Also, given the design, i wouldnt expect them to get you dumped.

If you want 16s tucked, start saving up. You will need short body shocks up front, small springs out rear (depending on your arches) The JOMs i guarantee will not tuck, nor will cut springs or a basic GC conversion

Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          If you want 16s tucked, start saving up. You will need short body shocks up front, small springs out rear (depending on your arches) The JOMs i guarantee will not tuck, nor will cut springs or a basic GC conversion
          I have to disagree, if it weren't for my fitment being so agressive, I could tuck rim out back, up front definitely not possible without some seriously short shocks and housings. Mind you, if you got some g60 shocks and shortened the e30 housing with cut springs or by a lowered spring perch I'm sure you could tuck rim, I tuck tire currently on stock length shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            I would expect the JOMs to be of decent quality, although there is hardly anything out there to go off of in the e30 application. Also, given the design, i wouldnt expect them to get you dumped.
            Would I be able to modify them to get lower? Cut the housing or anything?

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            If you want 16s tucked, start saving up. You will need short body shocks up front, small springs out rear (depending on your arches) The JOMs i guarantee will not tuck, nor will cut springs or a basic GC conversion.
            I just want the tire a little into the fender, I have GC camber plates on the horizon and some XXR 513's sitting in my basement. Stock, the XXRs poke, but aren't close to the fender yet.

Hmmm, I need more low in my diet.

Comment

• Yes, no!?

Comment

• what is the g60 billy sport?

Comment

• Man buy my setup it handles good and will put u on the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hartgeh27 View Post
                    Man buy my setup it handles good and will put u on the ground.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...601#post371601
                    great price too
                    Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
                      Would I be able to modify them to get lower? Cut the housing or anything?
                      No you can't shorten the housing for the JOM coilovers b/c the provided shocks are not shorter. If you want to be super low in an e30 you have several options but JOM is not one of them. Ground control with shorter housings, shorter shocks, and camber plates is, you could also look into bags. Put simply you will have to shorten the OE strut housing if you want a significantly lower altitude in an e30 chassis.

Comment

• BUMP anybody else with KWs out there or what?

madface, still like them?

Comment

• this is what JOM's got me in front.

i cant use a oil pan reference because i raised mine
                          -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                          -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                          MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                          Got Drop??

Comment

• does anyone have pics of GCs with non modified front struts? thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
                              this is what JOM's got me in front.

i cant use a oil pan reference because i raised mine
                              pics of full car?

Comment

• If you're gonna go with those wheels and you dont want wheel gap you will need to go a lot lower. I've got an 86 325e with 15x8 and 15x9 0 offset with 195/45 S drives. I've got H&R lowering springs and kyb shocks and from my fender to my sidewall is still about 2 inches. I'm getting GC coilovers to slam it but if you don't want it that slammed I'd go with bigger wheels

My Intro Here:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50512
                                My E34 Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54494
                                My '78 CB750 Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56809

Comment

Working...
                                X