Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna take an opportunity to disagree with most of you, something I rarely do, but feel it's important to state.

This is not a argument about who has money and who doesn't. This is not a "rich vs. poor" or "real enthusiasts who are ballers vs. fake enthusiasts who don't have pennies to rub with." This is a argument about business practices and macro economics. Period. If you are here to make the argument about money, then you might as well be comparing dick sizes because you have the maturity of a 15yr old.

Here is the reality: these companies (XXR, Rota, etc) that are selling wheels at $100 a pop.. their goal is solely to make money. They don't want to help grow the scene. They don't care about you as a enthusiast. They aren't interested in bringing anything new to the scene. They see an opportunity to take advantage of a market and will abuse it until that market is dried up. The question you have to ask yourself is simple: "at $100 a wheel, how are they making money?" They are making money because they are copying designs (intellectual property), they are using the cheapest of materials (cast iron), they are using the cheapest of processes, they have zero "quality control" (if you don't know what that means, go to college and take a ops mgmt course) and there is absolutely no research and development and thus no testing. Because of this, they are able to still have healthy margins at $100 / wheel retail.

There is a reason why we like the wheels that XXR and Rota re-produce... it's because BBS, Work and others took the time to develop classy and sexy designs / wheels that we all love. Without these companies, XXR and Rota would have nothing to copy.

Now back to my original point... this is NOT about price. There are plenty of people on here who make $8.50 a hour and have great looking rides with quality parts. They either negotiate like crazy, scour the internet for months until the right deal comes along or (and this is a revolutionary concept) they SAVE for the real thing. For some, they might be able to buy a brand new set of Work wheels out of one of their paychecks... for others it might take a year to save up for a used set. The point is, they are backing the companies that back the enthusiasts. Period.

I will repeat for the 11x, this is not a issue of money or dick measuring, but a issue of philosophy... are you gonna support the companies that invest heavily to insure that auto enthusiast market is here for a long time to come, or you going to insure that the companies out their who are sucking the blood out of our scene, continue to do so until there is nothing left? It really is as simple as that.

You want wheels right now, but are on a budget? Rock some OEM wheels.. run adaptors.. scour for a used set.. run spacers.. there are WAY too many options out there to rock original design wheels on a budget. Please support the companies that support us. By doing so, you help to insure that we all get to continue to modify cars the way we "want" vs the way we "have" to.

Ben

Comment

^
      Always the voice of reason, very well-said as usual!

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
      Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

I agree Ben, but everyones favorite excuse for rockin cheap reps is because "they're broke". It can be done on a budget with some patience, however most aren't willing to put in the work because its way easier to go buy reps anyway.

As for my last post, i got called out, I set the facts straight.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
          I agree Ben, but everyones favorite excuse for rockin cheap reps is because "they're broke".

While this statement is true, it is simply a current mentality... there should be a standard to all auto-enthusiasts who intend to modify cars indefinitely. That standard has to be held to insure the companies we all love continue to invest in the community.

Another thing I'm tired of hearing is people stating, "well that is just how things are." That is a defeatist mentality that seems to manifest itself often within the car scene. Anything can change, if your committed to seeing it change. That's where the rubber meets the road and separates the talkers from the true believers.

Comment

i said the same thing as your essay a page back. .. minus a million extra words

why do you usually type soo much extra ?

Comment

Originally posted by 610EURO View Post
              i said the same thing as your essay a page back. .. minus a million extra words

why do you usually type soo much extra ?
              Because he made an excellent well articulated point, and put it in perspective for everyone, and he is saying that reps in general are hurting the scene, where as you said that you were ok with it for budget applications which is not what Ben was saying.

Ben the more I think about it, the more I agree with you, there are some killer older OEM wheels out there you just have to search, I found some Porsche mesh wheels off a 924 I had never seen before they were amazing and right as I was about to pull the trigger on them, the guy sold them. While I'm not sure I will ever find wheels like them again, there are some amazing wheels out there you just have to be willing to wait and do some research. Check forums, craiglist, local junkyards, whatever, eventually you will find something much more appealing to you than those Rota's you originally thought were the coolest thing since sliced bread, (which is also played out btw). Be original keep looking and you will find something.
              - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

there is no oem wheels that fit an e30 and dont look like shit. there is no company destroying the scene. the mentality of car owners is destroying it.

Comment

You can always run adapters, or get wheels redrilled, and there are tons of people out there with E30's running OEM wheels from other cars that look dope. All I am saying is that reps don't really help anyone out, and the more people that think oh yeah I can just cheap out and get reps cause they look the same at 1/2 the price is not going to help the legitimacy of the scene in any way.
                  - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

This thread is getting a bit out of hand, seems like some people are on their high horses.

Anyway, the only way you think that the "scene" is getting ruined, is if you think that. What are you saying, it's going to get to the point where you just about it anymore because others "destroyed" the scene?

Who cares what other people rock, every time a thread like this starts, it turns to this.
                    Last edited by Zach; 07-26-2010, 01:58 PM.

Comment

how much does a polar bear weigh?
                      Originally posted by TheNeek
                      BP ain't got $#!T on StanceWorks!

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                        This thread is getting a bit out of hand, seems like some people are on their high horses.

Anyway, the only way you think that the "scene" is getting ruined, is if you think that. What are you saying, it's going to get to the point where you just don't give a fuck about it anymore because others "destroyed" the scene?

Who the fuck CARES what other people rock, every time a thread like this starts, it turns into a clusterfuck like this.
                        It hurts the scene because people think "Oh my reps look exactly like real wheels, here let me put a real cap on there and act like they are real," and yes I know there are lots of people out there who don't do that but at the same time they are still replica wheels, and most of the time are the same played out reps like Grids or XXR 002's. Sure there are some truly proper executions of these wheels, BUT if you can do that with reps, imagine what getting some old OEM wheels that you rarely see with that fitment would look like.

I'm not telling people what they should or shouldn't have all I am saying is that it doesn't help anyone, I **** to see really really proper cars sitting on reps, when clearly a ton of time and effort went into the rest of the build, it just spoils it for me.

I'm not on my high horse either I'm 17 I get $10/hr and I am currently rocking my OEM wheels, the thought of getting reps has crossed my mind more than once, but I know if I hold out, I'm going to find something that looks better, is much more original, and will have cost the same as a set of reps.

I'm not sure why you needed to use that language to express your views, we are having a civilized conversation you don't need to come in here swearing like a sailor thinking that its going to make your point stronger, or make you look any "tougher".
                        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Rat-rodders just make their own shit for their cars. They dont care about how "legit" their parts are. Their philosophy is if it looks badass and works, then its good to go. I wish the rest of the car scene shared this point of view. If we did, it would diminish alot of the un-neccesary drama.
                          Last edited by OSSHWA; 07-26-2010, 02:03 PM.
                          MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
                          Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

Originally posted by prodigee View Post
                            It hurts the scene because people think "Oh my reps look exactly like real wheels, here let me put a real cap on there and act like they are real," and yes I know there are lots of people out there who don't do that but at the same time they are still replica wheels, and most of the time are the same played out reps like Grids or XXR 002's. Sure there are some truly proper executions of these wheels, BUT if you can do that with reps, imagine what getting some old OEM wheels that you rarely see with that fitment would look like.

I'm not telling people what they should or shouldn't have all I am saying is that it doesn't help anyone, I **** to see really really proper cars sitting on reps, when clearly a ton of time and effort went into the rest of the build, it just spoils it for me.

I'm not on my high horse either I'm 17 I get $10/hr and I am currently rocking my OEM wheels, the thought of getting reps has crossed my mind more than once, but I know if I hold out, I'm going to find something that looks better, is much more original, and will have cost the same as a set of reps.

I'm not sure why you needed to use that language to express your views, we are having a civilized conversation you don't need to come in here swearing like a sailor thinking that its going to make your point stronger, or make you look any "tougher".
                            I edited my post for your views.

As for the high horse deal, that was mainly directed to a certain other person who posted MULTIPLE pictures of cars he has/had to show his "legit wheels". But whatever, I'm in no right to call others out.

Anyway, I'm also 17. I do understand the legit wheels argument, I just don't understand why EVERY thread that is made like this, turns into a huge debate. We all already know there are people who rock legit, and who don't.

Basically, I just don't see why we are beating a dead horse with this topic, it just never ends.

Comment

Comment

Understood, but you just said it, they make their own stuff, thats completely original, every time, if you make your own stuff its not going to be the same as anyone elses no matter how hard you try, something somewhere will make it different.

Now with that said, sure you can't just go out and make wheels, but you can look and spend time looking for something that will make your car your own, actually spend time looking for wheels and get a deal, rather than just settling for reps, which if I am not mistaken is what most people do, they settle for reps, after a weak search, or not being able to afford real wheels. Even though there are tons of other options out there.

Once again this is just my opinion on the matter, there is no need to get angry at anyone here, everyone has different views that they are entitled to, I am just sharing mine.
                                - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Working...
                                X