Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have Rotas (see sig), but I don't really care. But you gotta understand, that the price for Rays/Works/whatever over here in Sweden is totally different from the states. First off, I'm not sure there are companies here that actually STOCKS expensive wheels. And to buy new ones, you better be ready to pay alooot.

And then there's used ones. On swedens biggest classifieds/for sale site, there are three sets of used Volk wheels listed. Two sets of GT-C's and one set of TE37 Time Attack.

GT-C set 1 - $3,500
    GT-C set 2 - $3,900
    TE37 - $4100

To save money for those wheels, I'd have to save forever, and not spend a dollar on anything else.

I've owned two sets of RAYS wheels though, a set of 17" GramLights 57c for my S13 180SX and 17" Prodrive GC-07 for my K20 swapped DC2 ITR. Both really nice wheels, absolutely. But, this is my second set of Rotas (had 17" Rota Gr.A on my GC8 WRX), and they are doing just fine, aren't that heavy, considering my current ones are 18x9.5. I don't drift/track (no local track whatsoever) so I don't feel the need to spend over $2000 for a set of wheels.

So yeah, as long as you personally like the wheels, buy whatever you want. If it actually looks good, who cares what brand it is? Although I can agree that it kinda sucks they are replicas, no-one wants their designs stolen..

When someone starts paying off my loan/insurance/whatever for my car, they can have a say on what I buy for it, but until then, imma roll on my Rotas Oh, and I don't pass them off as anything else, if they are Rotas, I'll say they are Rotas.

Comment

lol its 12-12-12 tied right now
      -Jason
      http://project-a3.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Presns3 View Post
        lol its 12-12-12 tied right now

i forgot to vote.

Comment

its such an odd debate really.

I don't support replica wheels because you get baller wheels cheap.
          I support them because its a cheap, aggressive wheel.

Take this example:
          I have $340 sunglasses that I wear maybe once a week, most likely a saturday.
          I have $10 sunglasses that I wear on the daily.
          The 10s look just as good, but if something happens to them. I don't cry.

Comment

Not a fan. If you don't have the money, don't fake the funk.
            Last edited by boligrafo123; 02-04-2010, 08:36 AM.

Comment

This thread should be retitled replica vs real. There are so many fakers out there.. keskin, ate, rota etc. But rota's are the ones that seem to get the most ****. Some people just don't want to drop 2-3gs on used real wheels when they can get something similar for $1200 brand new. Different priorities for different people. I'd have no problem dropping 5g's to make my car fast (er) but DO have a problem spending $3,ooo on wheels that I'll just sell in 3 months because I get bored with them..
              Ben Purkiss Design
              My Design Blog

Comment

people aren't trying to re-invent the wheel, if Work or Rays has a design that obviously sells alot and looks nice (TE's or CR Kai) then don't **** on companys for trying to up their business by providing an affordable look alike, (much like Fucci bags for women).

with that said, I wouldn't ever rock a rep/cheaper wheel because I know the value of buying a legit set of wheels, but I wouldn't knock the Rota user either.
                I ees een jur cambers, nomnomin on jur tairs

Comment

I used to have a set and they were chill.. they are good for daily.. I would rock if I couldnt afford real deals

Comment

you gotta pay to play..PERIOD

id rather roll on OEM wheels before i rolled on rota/sport max/steelies or any of that BS
                    hell my GF keeps buggin me about wheels and shes even said "why dont we just get rotas for my car in case i mess em up?" and my response is alwasy "HELL NO!"

its not because theyre cheap its becasue your faking the funk, if you dont have the money save up until you do. and it really irritaes me when ppl say "oh these are just gonna be my daily wheels" cause 99% of the time they never ever get real wheels.

BalleurBuilt•DSDone
                    form>function
                    "i mean we cant even rock dem shoes if it dont got a comma on the price tag..."

Comment

Well you also got to look at why do people by cars and then modify and put like 5k in a car when they could of bought the car just as fast as there car for 6k more you know? like why by a WRX do a turbo swap and be like a STI instead of just buying a STI or putting STI wings on WRX or Mugen wings on normal Civics... you know? woudnt that be like faking the funk?

Comment

i understand the desire for the real deal, but i have no problem with replicas...

as long as it rolls straight, looks good, and is safe i don't see a problem...it's still a wheel no matter how you look at it..
                        - Jon

Comment

i track mine. would you rather destroy a rota at the track or a RE30? no thanks. for the tiny microseconds that you gain from the lighter rim it isnt worth it if you race for fun.

destroying a $200 rota when u go off track is better then destroying a $800 rim

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            Id rather rock sportmax or DR steelies in the same price range

Why? cuz.
                            agree!
                            Lo-Fi lifestyle

"Våld löser alla problem"

Comment

Fitment>brand imo. But fitment+brand can't be beat.
                              I stretch my tires like I stretch my clothes! Haaa..

Comment

I'ts meh to me really, I rock MBs (Atechs) which I am sure is a knock off of something. However I would rather rock a sorted suspension setup with replica/no name/random japan wheels than rock ebay coils and baller wheels.

Like many said just don't re-brand or lie about what you are on. But ya its really a replica vs legit argument. Because if you have baller wheels but a replica backyard special (for example) body part with the fake tags on it whats worse?

Just never PIAA rims...

I like em dropped.

Comment

Working...
                                X