X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• verlumpt
    replied
    T&P...

I'd get all new tie rods and fully disassemble them and lube liberally w/ anti-seize, even the lock nut/bolt (depending on your tie rod design). I always do this when doing suspension work on cars. It pays dividends later.

Leave a comment:

• mojocoggo
    replied
    Track status:

I know what I'm doing:

I actually got compliments on my fitment when I was at the track, I didn't even think real life people talked about that kinda thing.

I get about 10k miles on my front tires, 7k on the rear.

Leave a comment:

• Stolzy
    replied
    im unning -2 rear but my toyo proxes last about 7k miles. so i will replace them after 2-3 years haha

Leave a comment:

• Tuck&Poke
    replied
    i dont fit on the rack :p

im just lazy, theres a shop down here that will align anything you bring them, they do all the serious cars down here. One day ill get off my lazy ass and do it

Leave a comment:

• dinanm3atl
    replied
    Have him align it then if he knows the problem

If it is a VW problem I would have them align it for you, for free or low cost. That is what I would try first.

Leave a comment:

• Tuck&Poke
    replied
    my knowledge only goes as far as to its a common issue, i have a friend who is a tech at a vw dealership which is how i know its common

Leave a comment:

• dinanm3atl
    replied
    Well if that is what is required to do an alignment than that is what is required. Find a shop that will do an alignment

Why is the bolt getting seized?

Leave a comment:

• Tuck&Poke
    replied
    no, if i change it the same thing will happen after a little while. Common problem with this chassis. The real way to do it is lift the car, remove wheel, break the nut loose with a long breaker bar, put the wheel back on and throw it on the rack.

Leave a comment:

• dinanm3atl
    replied
    Time for a new tie rod assembly?

Leave a comment:

• Tuck&Poke
    replied
    no one wants to align my car

the tie rods seize and theyre way up top in the wheel well so its a mission to get to. I cant tell you how many times ive been turned down

Leave a comment:

• dinanm3atl
    replied
    Originally posted by verlumpt View Post
    beyond -3 you can start to see some wear from camber even if your toe is at zero.

-2.5 to -2.8 is about the limit for this.

any toe outside of zero at these camber levels will greatly increase your tire wear. Which is a big issue w/ older bmw's as the rear isn't adjustable unless you do slotted subframe w/ eccetrics.

I think another factor is that many lower their cars and don't get it aligned afterwards and just assume it's because they're low w/ camber.

My $0.02 on my experiences.
    I agree. Lots of guys lower their car, change suspension components and just drive afterwards for months or even years. A good, fresh alignment makes a HUGE difference.

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
    i put my falkens on in February, its july and my rears are just above the wear marks, my fronts are shot on the inside. I gotta flip the tires in the front and i can probably get another 5K miles out of them. Camber is approx -3 in the front and like -.8 in the back or something like that. My front toe is out of alignment, i just eyeballed it, and my rear isnt adjustable

If you just eyeballed it that is why they are dead. I am guessing the toe is out of spec by a good margin and it ate the tires up.

I am a couple months on my falkens and I am ~ -3 in the front and -2.5 in the back and they are flat wear across the tread. If I actually cleaned up and cared about my tires they would look brand new.

I have to hit the alignment shop again here soon as I need to install new front control arms, bushings and tie rod assemblies.

Leave a comment:

• Tuck&Poke
    replied
    i put my falkens on in February, its july and my rears are just above the wear marks, my fronts are shot on the inside. I gotta flip the tires in the front and i can probably get another 5K miles out of them. Camber is approx -3 in the front and like -.8 in the back or something like that. My front toe is out of alignment, i just eyeballed it, and my rear isnt adjustable

Leave a comment:

• verlumpt
    replied
    beyond -3 you can start to see some wear from camber even if your toe is at zero.

-2.5 to -2.8 is about the limit for this.

any toe outside of zero at these camber levels will greatly increase your tire wear. Which is a big issue w/ older bmw's as the rear isn't adjustable unless you do slotted subframe w/ eccetrics.

I think another factor is that many lower their cars and don't get it aligned afterwards and just assume it's because they're low w/ camber.

My $0.02 on my experiences.

Leave a comment:

• e36cruiser
    replied
    ive got -3* on front of my cobra and the last a few oil changes

Leave a comment:

• Feelinit18
    replied
    Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
    215/40-17 on 17x7.5 and 17x8.5.
    Do you have any pictures of the 215/40 on the 17x8.5?

Originally posted by Logan View Post

About 10k

perfect

Leave a comment:

Working...
X