No announcement yet.

Project Ponton - '59 Mercedes 190D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when I got done commenting on your mk6 build, I see this.

I vote option 4.

Comment

Nice find, AGAIN!

I would choose option 2 or 3, they both will fit dirty penny :-) it will be family :-)

Comment

I'm torn between option #2 and #4.... But damn, four super clean awesome builds?! you're the man. Super jealous

Instagram: ian_ballzz

e30 build thread

Comment

As if having one awesome merc project isn't enough!

Love this, can't wait to see the end result.

#1 imo

Comment

Originally posted by dineno View Post
            So I caved and bought another Merc just before finishing Dirty Penny. It's a 1959 Mercedes 190D (W121). Black w/ Blood Red interior, a really desirable color scheme for me so I'm not sure how to approach it now. The problem is that regardless of how desirable the car is from the start I get the itch to completely change it. The ideas for it are as follows:

Option #1: Respray black, re-upholster same blood red color, copper plate all chrome pieces, bags, wheels

Option #2: Copper plate the car and try to create a "twin" for Dirty Penny, maybe start a whole collection of different era's of Mercedes with the same theme and of course bags/wheels

Option #3: Silver plate the car, brass plate the chrome pieces, restore interior, bags, wheels

Option #4: Get real crazy and go the vintage race car direction, coilovers, custom fabricated suspension components, meaty tires on old german modular wheels, big motor, etc
            Option #1 heres why:
            it shows you have diveristy in taste can stil be awesome but doesnt need to be batshit crazy.
            you already have atleast 2 other large projects and a full time job.
            the car looks to be in decent shape already extreme modification almost takes away from that.
            while cool i think a fleet of dirty pennies would get a little boring for you.
            personally i cant imagine this car as a vintage racer. looks to big, bulky, 4 door, just doesnt have the rigth shape for me.

other though depending on condition could you keep the existing patina and still do some modification?

personally i envision this glossy black, airbagged, nice polished wheels, and sutle modifications. few things shaved, tucked, etc... maybe suicide doors. keep it a gentlemens cruiser.

thats just my input but at the end of the day you need to do whats right for you. satisfy your needs. I am sure from your other builds what ever option you go with will be sick. going to be watching this one aswell.

For Sale - e24 Build thread

Add me on Facebook
            Instagram @Dared_Turtle

Comment

Originally posted by evilstar View Post
              Option #1 heres why:
              it shows you have diveristy in taste can stil be awesome but doesnt need to be batshit crazy.
              you already have atleast 2 other large projects and a full time job.
              the car looks to be in decent shape already extreme modification almost takes away from that.
              while cool i think a fleet of dirty pennies would get a little boring for you.
              personally i cant imagine this car as a vintage racer. looks to big, bulky, 4 door, just doesnt have the rigth shape for me.

other though depending on condition could you keep the existing patina and still do some modification?

personally i envision this glossy black, airbagged, nice polished wheels, and sutle modifications. few things shaved, tucked, etc... maybe suicide doors. keep it a gentlemens cruiser.

thats just my input but at the end of the day you need to do whats right for you. satisfy your needs. I am sure from your other builds what ever option you go with will be sick. going to be watching this one aswell.
              I like your thoughts on this. I actually originally wanted the w115 to just be a gentleman's cruiser, but the body wasn't as classy as I had wanted for such a style. I just have to figure out some unique aspect of my own I can add to such a style for this car.

Your statement about a fleet of dirty pennies becoming boring is spot on too, as much as I like the thought I just can't fathom doing the same thing twice.

Comment

Love all of the builds so far, but I would also have to vote for #1. There is nothing classier than seeing a period correct restoration with airbags sitting on the ground. Just my thoughts.
                05 Jetta GLI - The daily
                84 Volvo 245 turbo - Fun Time Cruiser

Comment

gtfo with all these rad projects, where do you even find all these barns full of cars?

+5 on Option 1 , get something clean rolling, especially if it's not all rotted out.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Black with red interior should be the only option here. Copying another car, even if it is your own, takes no creativity and will just be mediocre in the end. It will never be that other car and silver plating it is just too close. A vintage racecar would be rad as hell, but the time and money it would take to build something like that could be spent on another of your many projects. Classic black paint, red interior, classy shiny trim and wheels, creature comforts of air ride... that's a flawless victory for this chassis in my book.
                    IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

Originally posted by aLaFleur View Post
                      Black with red interior should be the only option here. Copying another car, even if it is your own, takes no creativity and will just be mediocre in the end. It will never be that other car and silver plating it is just too close. A vintage racecar would be rad as hell, but the time and money it would take to build something like that could be spent on another of your many projects. Classic black paint, red interior, classy shiny trim and wheels, creature comforts of air ride... that's a flawless victory for this chassis in my book.
                      My worry was that the original black with red interior would take no creativity, but I'll be sure to add my own conservative unique aspects to it. Creating another dirty penny would be extremely boring for me because I've already done it, the concept of having a collection of many era of Mercedes with the same theme interests me though. So I'll probably still involve copper into the black. I've been wanting to do a black car with copper trim/bumpers anyway.

Comment

If you go for a dirty penny -fleet, your fleet wouldn't be complete without a Gullwing, and well.... good luck with finding one of those for a decent prize

My vote would be #4 and then keep it completely vintage like (ex 21-century bucket seats):

I wouldn't mind opt. #1 too though...
                        Last edited by loekaaz; 03-27-2015, 07:54 AM.
                        Lucas
                        Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                        Originally posted by LCG
                        High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Originally posted by dineno View Post
                          My worry was that the original black with red interior would take no creativity, but I'll be sure to add my own conservative unique aspects to it. Creating another dirty penny would be extremely boring for me because I've already done it, the concept of having a collection of many era of Mercedes with the same theme interests me though. So I'll probably still involve copper into the black. I've been wanting to do a black car with copper trim/bumpers anyway.
                          It doesn't have to be all about creativity as much as it does being quality and unique though. Your work is good and with your own little flares you'll have a dynamic combination while not having a fleet of cars so far over the top that it seems you're just begging for attention. If that makes any sense. It's nice to see when builders can produce cars of different styles and not appear as a one trick pony.
                          IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

Awesome car. I think this would look cool as a vintage hillclimb car.

1976 VW Beetle
                            Eine Gruppe für Menschen, die am Heizkörper spotten

Comment

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
                              If you go for a dirty penny -fleet, your fleet wouldn't be complete without a Gullwing, and well.... good luck with finding one of those for a decent prize

My vote would be #4 and then keep it completely vintage like (ex 21-century bucket seats):

I wouldn't mind opt. #1 too though...
                              That car is the reason that option #4 made it onto the list lol

Comment

Option #1 with two tone. Black bottom and copper roof. For inspiration Peugeot Onyx Concept has a nice color combination.

Comment

Working...
                                X