• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks man!

Comment

no suggestions on front strut inserts? I'm sick of bouncing haha

Comment

Bilstein sports? I think they're not as thick as Konis, so they should work. Don't just take my word on that though.
        Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
        2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Are the front strut housings shortened? You could always shorten them and run a shorter shock insert, and then you'll have plenty of travel at that ride height (and lower even).

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

I'll look into bilsteins...

Yeah the front housings are shortened by 2", and I used a spacer at the bottom of the strut so the collar nut could tighten it into place.

Comment

Originally posted by SamuelWebber View Post
              I'll look into bilsteins...

Yeah the front housings are shortened by 2", and I used a spacer at the bottom of the strut so the collar nut could tighten it into place.
              Interesting. For being shortened by 2", I feel like your car isn't nearly low enough to start bottoming out the shock (no offense, just saying). I wonder if you could use Bilstein HD's from a 325ix model E30, which are commonly used on E30 coilover conversions because they are about 3.5" shorter than regular E30 shock inserts. Not sure if the E21 strut housings are big enough to fit E30 shocks though, you'd have to find out.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Car got a feature on Petrolicious! Since those photos the car has been lowered a little more, and front wheels have been spaced out a bit. New photos soon...

Owner: Sam Webber Year, Make, and Model: 1983 BMW 320is (E21) Location: West Brookfield, Massachusetts Photographer: Caleb Vincent DesCognets I became interested in cars after buying my first one, a Volkswagen GTI mk4. It was a fun car that left me wanting a faster car, then an older car, and then a more ‘stylish’ car. It was followed up by a BMW E28 5-series about a year later, but then I wanted to get back into something a bit smaller; at first, I thought of the classic, BMW E30. At a car show I met someone who longed for an E28, so we began talking about a potential trade. At that time, he was the owner of this E21 320is. Upon seeing it, I knew I wanted it. I was immediately drawn to the condition of the original paint, the driver oriented interior architecture, and the more simple body lines of the car’s exterior as compared to my E28. The trade didn’t go through and I said goodbye to this E21 for what I assumed would be forever.

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                  Interesting. For being shortened by 2", I feel like your car isn't nearly low enough to start bottoming out the shock (no offense, just saying).
                  He's right

Chances are the car is bouncing on the controls arms, not the strut bottoming out. The subframe will need to be shortend or notched to allow the arms to keep moving.

My shortened subframe on left, stock on right:

This is how low the car goes with the stock valance. No IS lip or BBS or anything:

I'm going to notch my subframe next to put the car all the way down.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeek View Post
                    He's right

Chances are the car is bouncing on the controls arms, not the strut bottoming out. The subframe will need to be shortend or notched to allow the arms to keep moving.
                    Let me straighten this out. I never said the strut bottomed out. I said it blew up. What I meant by that was that was the hydraulic fluid and gas blew out of the strut insert itself. Now, if blowing it up like I described is the result of bottoming out, I stand corrected...but I don't think that's the case. I feel like I would know if I was smacking the control arms and would probably hear it? As far as I'm concerned, the only rubbing is my wheel to my fender due to the lack of a working insert. I personally think the stock mk1 rabbit struts I used aren't durable enough. But then again, only one has blown out.
                    Last edited by SamuelWebber; 05-27-2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I was riding on my control arms for a VERY long time before I realized it. My subframe was starting to form itself around where the control arm was striking it. You can see it in the picture I posted on the right. I know of a guy who is riding on MK1 struts and had to shorten his subframe to take advantage of the extra space. Just sayin.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

guess i'll have to look into it. Thanks man

Comment

looks great man. always been a sucker for black.

instagram-brandonmckiernannn

Comment

Working...
                          X