No announcement yet.

Cousins of Organization - A two-wheeled build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I think I'm finally going to have some time to work on the bike again now, so hopefully I can start updating this thread again soon.

My goal is to have the bike finished sometime in the next couple months.
    -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread
    Another Frankenbike Build

sigpic

Comment

nice progression that is a good bike for a bas for a cafe racer build. i have a cafe build thread on here to: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ght=cafe+racer
      [IMG]http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag203/Kristianbolster/cars/nmdsnfm_zpsac00cc92.jpeg[/IMG]
      instagram= @BIMMERSPOTTER instagram: @kristianbolster

Comment

Sheesh, almost 9 months since I updated this thread?

I finally decided it's time to get this damn bike put back together again so I can ride it instead of just looking at it! I still need to finish up the wiring harness and order some other assorted parts, but the bike is nearly rideable again.

Once I get it running, I'll take it for a few shake down runs to see if anything needs to be tweaked; then it all comes back apart again for paint/powdercoat and final finishing.
        -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

AWHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAA.

this thing is beyond sweet! is there a decision on the color for the bike yet?
          then i smash yo corolla

Comment

Originally posted by ChanceTheNapper View Post
            AWHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAA.

this thing is beyond sweet! is there a decision on the color for the bike yet?
            Thanks! And yes, I finally decided on a color scheme.

Tank and frame will be this color (or something close to it)

Wheels and a few accent pieces will be something like this:

Most everything else will be black.

I'm also trying to get my hands on a front end from an '06 GSXR1000 because I want to have a proper sport bike suspension in the front and because the forks on those are anodized bronze.

-Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

That colour combination should look amazing once everything is put back together.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

wow thats gonna look sweet! haha funny question but whens the last time you actually rode this thing?
                then i smash yo corolla

Comment

Just over two years ago. So much for this being a quick winter makeover.

I have two bikes, though, so I still have something else to ride. And working on "finishing" the Harley is also one of the reasons the Suzuki has taken so long to make progress on.

Last edited by Capt. Obvious; 11-11-2014, 11:07 PM.
                  -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

This sir is what i like to call

Instagram: @GregKline55

1999 M Coupe
                    1987 325e
                    1987 325IS

Comment

Well, that ended up being easier than I thought. Turns out there is no shortage of idiot 20-year-olds with too much bike under them who wreck it a month after buying the bike.

Scored myself a complete front end from an '08 GSXR 1000 last night for as much as a new front tire and clip-ons (handlebars) were going to cost for the Triumph suspension that's on the front of the bike now.

-Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

The GSXR front end bolted up without a hitch, just had to swap the Bandit stem onto it and it was good to go. I'll need to machine a small bushing for the upper triple clamp though, as the GSXR stem is a larger diameter than the bandit one, so there's a bit of wiggle room up top.

I also started the bike for the first time in two years last night, but not before wanting to burn the bike to the ground.

I spent about 5 hours yesterday checking connections with my voltmeter, looking at wiring diagrams, and tracing wires. Everything was working and had power, but I had no spark.

Finally, after reading up on it some more, I found out that their is some trickery hidden in the factory ignition (key) unit to prevent theft. Turns out that one of the wires that I thought was supposed to be +12v from the battery to power the ECU was actually a powered ground that needs a resistor on it. Said resistor is hidden in the ignition on the factory bike, so if you try to hot wire it, the ECU won't see the resistance in the ground wire and won't send a spark signal to the coils. Once I addressed that, it fired right up! It only ran for about 10 seconds though because then it ran out of gas. Next weekend I'll put the tank back on and hopefully take it for a little shakedown run.
                        -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

Well, I just rode the ol' girl for the first time in two years. It rode pretty good. Needs a few adjustments, but nothing major. Now it's time to finalize the wiring harness and a few other items, then it comes back apart again!

-Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

My new exhaust showed up yesterday and, as it turns out, it won't require much work to make it fit. It pretty much bolted right up in exactly the spot I want it to be!

(The old dudes following this thread will probably have fond memories of Supertrapp pipes from back in the day)

Also, my new lithium battery arrived. This sucker weighs less than a pound!

The new carb jets should be here before the end of the week, and then I can start tuning the bike.
                            -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

i do not believe in your battery

Comment

Battery smaller than a beer can?! wow. I feel like there are phablets that need more battery than that! thats amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X