No announcement yet.

Cousins of Organization - A two-wheeled build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, random dude on Craigslist for the free Yamaha R1 exhaust.

It's just zip-tied on for now for mock up. If I decide to go this route, it will be tucked up higher and closer together. I was planning on just doing a really simple exhaust that dumps out under the bike, but I feel having the cans under the seat helps balance the bike out a bit visually.
    -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread
    Another Frankenbike Build

sigpic

Comment

That angle on the seat in the last pic looks pretty steep, your crotch wont be sitting on the tank will it?

Not sure how much money you want to put into the exhaust, but a stock R1 setup seems a bit plain for a project with this much custom work. Would be cool to see a custom exhaust with exposed welds and heat coloration.

Either way, its looking great, keep it up.

Comment

The bike sits lower with the engine in it, and will droop a bit more with me on it. So yeah, it looks a little steep on the stand, but it's pretty comfy once I'm on it.

I won't be sticking with that specific R1 exhaust, I'm just using it for mockup. If I decide to go with that style of exhaust, I'll be doing something custom.
        -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

Looks awesome, I cant wait to see more!

Heres a really cool blog that has pretty much every perfect bike ever made. http://www.pipeburn.com/
          I don't know if theres any cool ideas in there for your build, I'm not sure about the exhaust, it seems too clunky. I would just straight pipe it.

and
          Last edited by skiierman; 10-04-2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Pretty much put back together now and it's under 400 pounds. :rockon:

I've still got some fabrication to do and a lot of replacement parts to buy (to upgrade OEM items currently on the bike), but this is more or less what the bike will look like.

Things to do/buy still:
            - K&N filter pods and Holeshot stage 2 jet kit
            - Decide on/finish exhaust
            - Rear sets (foot controls)
            - Brake/clutch levers
            - Figure out tail light placement
            - New headlight brackets
            - Gauges
            - Clip ons (handlebars, I don't like the ones I current have on there)
            - Tires
            - Brake pads
            - New rear rotor
            - Find a better place for the battery
            - Re-do wiring harness

Then, I need to tear it back apart for paint/powdercoat/polishing.

If only I could decide on what color(s) to paint it!

-Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

You could put the battery under the seat in between those bars and fill it with some sheet metal

Comment

^^^ That's the plan right now.

I decided to not go with the black/copper theme on this bike, so I'm back at square one for color scheme. If anyone has any ideas/inspiration for me, throw out your ideas.

Right now, I'm leaning towards polishing the tank and swingarm and doing the frame a bright blue (like Grabber blue from the new Mustangs).

-Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

I haven't liked a single blue frame bike I've seen. I'd suggest keeping the frame black or silver (whatever metal look you want), and paint the tank a color of your choosing. Colored frames are hard to pull off.

Comment

I've thought about throwing my cb750 cafe/street fighter build I did over the spring on here. This is very nice.

My Intro Here:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50512
                    My E34 Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54494
                    My '78 CB750 Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56809

Comment

Originally posted by dirty_thirty View Post
                      I've thought about throwing my cb750 cafe/street fighter build I did over the spring on here. This is very nice.
                      Do it!

I like the old CBs a lot. My next project might be building one for my father-in-law.
                      -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

Not really digging the Monster seat. Overwhelming amount of leather for how raw the rest of the bike looks. Like a topless hooker wearing skintight leather pants.

Something along the lines of this S1000rr tail looks good.

Comment

The seat actually has a fairing that will be going on it. I just need to buy one still.

-Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

more updates!
                            91 DiamondSchwartzMetallic S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Euro E30, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                            ig @rudestance / @renownusa

Comment

Yeah, I should probably update this at some point...

Around the time of the last update, I had some plumbing issues in the bathroom at my house that ended up snowballing into me saying "screw it, let's do the full remodel we've wanted to do since we bought this place." Next thing you know, the bathroom was completely gutted down to the studs.

But, that project is done now, so I can turn my attention back to the bike. Currently I'm working on trying to get the wiring harness finished up. Once that is done, the bike is pretty ready to be taken back apart for all the final finish work.

Currently, it looks like this, but with a bunch of wires hanging off of it:

-Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

When I first saw what kind of bike you were starting with I didn't think I would be interested. Wow was I ever wrong. Work so far is fantastic and I can't wait to see it finished.

Comment

Working...
                                X