No announcement yet.

Cousins of Organization - A two-wheeled build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That picture of the copper valve cover is actually a guy in Lakewood. Adam I believe. He's got a build thread on here with his 2 door Volvo Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Z.Cockburn View Post
      Sweet,

Taking Hwy 20 out past Diablo lake to Wintrop is my all time favorite ride evar, last time we did it 2 guys ran out of gas because we were having so much fun no one was watching there Km's..

lol.

You got some great roads in your backyard.
      Hwy 20 is the best. I do the radios for the National Park there. It's amazing in a helicopter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
        That picture of the copper valve cover is actually a guy in Lakewood. Adam I believe. He's got a build thread on here with his 2 door Volvo Amazon.
        He a build thread on here? Sweet, I'll have to find it. My friend Curt took that pic.
        -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread
        Another Frankenbike Build

sigpic

Comment

updates plz
          @sd262 - instagram

Comment

Hey man, check out www.customfighters.com/forums there are a ton of good dudes there and they have a lot of knowledge that could be helpful on this build. Killer job so far by the way

Comment

Oh man, my bad. I totally forgot I had a build thread on here for the bike!

So here's where I'm at now:

First off, the bike more or less got put on hold for about a month and half due to the holidays and stuff, so there hasn't been any major progress. Also, it took the machine shop almost a frickin' month to make two damn brass bushings so I could get the swingarm properly mounted.

When we last left off, the bike looked like this:

In that picture I have front forks from a Suzuki SV1000 on the bike. They're decent, but the Showa forks with Brembo 4-pots from my Triumph parts bike were better, so those went on in their place.

Once I finally got the swingarm back I was able to finalize fitment of that, which meant it was time for one of the most important parts of the build: Chopping the frame up!

Lucky for me, I happen to live down the street from Rob Hancock, the man behind Flipside Customs (http://www.flipsidecustoms.com/) and this guy is a fabrication/welding GOD. Which is good for me, because I'm pretty good at thinking up cool things, but I can't weld to save my life.

So, the bike got loaded up into my truck and off to Rob's we went.

The original rear subframe of the bike is pretty much useless to me now, so the whole thing just got lopped off to make room for the Ducati Monster seat that's going on in its place.

Along with chopping off the subframe, some more things were chopped out of the frame to make room for the new suspension mounts, such as the old suspension mount and the rear motor mount.

Rob came up with a really slick design for the new height adjustable upper suspension mount as well as new motor mounts that will incorporate the battery box so I can get the weight from the battery down low on the bike instead of under the seat. Even better, Rob as access to a waterjet table, so the brackets are going to look factory made when he's done.

More updates soon! I need to get this bike back together so I can ride it when the weather starts getting better.
              Last edited by Capt. Obvious; 02-22-2013, 10:43 AM.
              -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Cody2130 View Post
                Hey man, check out www.customfighters.com/forums there are a ton of good dudes there and they have a lot of knowledge that could be helpful on this build. Killer job so far by the way
                I've spent a lot of time on customfighters, I really like that site. I should probably make an account though, I just lurk on there right now.

Also, since you like Cressidas, click the link in my previous post and check out Flipside Customs' site, Rob loves them and makes a ton of badass custom parts for them.
                -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

Progress has been a little slow due to life getting in the way lately (both for me and for my friend doing the welding/fabrication for me). I was hoping I'd be starting final assembly by now when I started this project. Oh well, I still have some time since the weather isn't that great yet.

Some more progress has been made on the bike though, and it's starting to look like complete bike again.

The rear suspension is all tacked in place now and is almost ready for final welds. The new upper mounts turned out awesome. The three holes in the mount will give me some height adjustment should I need it, and the resorvoir for the shock will mount on the other side of it.

The motor mount was also moved down a bit to make some room. You can see the hole from where the original cross bar was (that will be getting filled in).

Once everything is all done being welded up, the center stand and all the old shock linkage brackets will be getting removed as well to cut some more weight.

One issue has come up while getting the new suspension geometry in place, and that issue is the battery. I thought I was going to be able to fit it between the shock and the transmission, but I don't think that's going to be doable now. The battery I have isn't exactly huge, but it's a not a small one, either. I might need to find myself a smaller battery that is still powerful enough to be used on a daily rider.

One idea for where to put it was right here next to the shock, but I don't think it will fit there once the foot controls and rear brake master cylinder are mounted. Maybe it will have to go back under the seat.

-Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

Love this so far!
                    My '66 C10 Build
                    My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

So, at this point the only parts left of the original bike are the tank, engine and about 2/3 of the frame.

Rob from Flipside and I are having a blast with this stage of the bike build. We have a very similar style and mindset about what this bike is about, so we just sit and bounce ideas off each other and then he busts out his welder and brings them to life.

The idea with the seat is I want it to pretty much look like it's floating off the back of the bike. There will be some additional frame work added to support it though because it's needed to ensure it's strong enough to support my weight. We're still trying to think of a good way to accomplish that last part of the frame. Thinking something along these lines, but this seems really "safe" and I'd like to do something with a little more flair:

Here's how it looks with the seat and tank off the bike:

I'm super happy with how this rear section of the bike has turned out. The suspension works great, is height adjustable, we've lost a good 20 pounds off just the frame, and it looks downright badass.

One really neat thing that Rob thought of was to add some gusseting to the upper part of the frame for a little extra strength where the shock ties in. Also, it looks cool and Rob wanted to use his new toy that can bunch these holes in sheet metal. LOL

Once the subframe is complete, it's time to start putting the bike back together for final fitment checks and detail work, then it all comes apart again for finishing!
                      -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

neat.
                        in regards to the battery situation:
                        IS F (2008-2014) - What you guys think of my 3.5 pound battery? - What do you guys think of my 3.5 pound IS-F battery? It runs great and weighs a LOT less than stock. I just took off the engine cover and some of the engine bay plastic (not the ones with the rubber seals). The plastic removal weighs more than the...

FWIW: guy w/ a racecar dropped 25lbs by replacing his 28lb battery with this 3lb one, same voltage, no problems.

I know of a couple people running them on dailies and racecars, and there is also a writeup on that custom fighters forum too.

plus you can make it to where it will "stash away" basically anywhere you wish.

Comment

Thanks for the link to that thread. I actually found these a couple weeks ago and the link you have looks like a DIY version of the same thing. I'll definitely look into that some more.
                          -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

I wasn't happy with the first idea for the subframe, so that idea is tossed now. Visually, the bike looked front-heavy, so I'm reworking it to put a little visual weight in the back of the bike.

Still playing with ideas, but I'm leaning more this direction now:

I'll also be working with the seat a bit to fine-tune how it flows with the frame and tank.
                            -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

FINALLY done with the fab work on the frame/suspension. It took a lot longer than expected, but I'm not upset since he charged me WAY less than other place would have charged me for this level of fab work. As usual for Rob, his work is above and beyond what I was expecting.

Now I need to put the whole thing back together to make sure everything fits like it should, then tear it back apart for painting/polishing/plating/powdercoating.

Maybe I'll even finish the damn thing at some point...
                              -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread

sigpic

Comment

Awesome build so far!
                                Ford Australia 4L I6 jammed into a BMW E21 323i? Why not...

http://www.e21build.com

Comment

Working...
                                X