◦ KW Full Coilover Suspension

Tires & Wheel Accessories:
    ◦ Fifteen52 16x8 ET30 Snowflakes Limited Run White
    ◦ Toyo Proxies 4 205/50/16R
    ◦ Rear - ECS 20mm Hub Centric Spacers
    ◦ Front - Motorsport Hardware 15mm Hub Centric Spacers
    ◦ 90mm Motorsport Hardware Studs
    ◦ Muteki Open Ended Tuner Lugs

Last edited by semaj4712; 05-23-2013, 03:41 PM.

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 84 Jetta Diesel

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM

A little back story is always nice for those who like to read, if you dont like to read, scroll down and just look at pictures I guess...I came into the E30 scene about a year ago, after coming from the VW scene, I have always enjoyed working on VWs and still enjoy that community and what they are creating over there. But after a MKII project that I sunk years of my life into and loads of money ended in a car that I couldn't get down the street in without something breaking, I decided to leave the scene, and possibly the car scene for good. I got into sport bikes which ended years later with a near death crash on the hi-way that led me back into cars. Although my respect for older cars was greatly increasing and after moving to California a few years prior the only friends that I had that were into cars were into American Classics, so I pulled the trigger on a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk, I was so excited and still to this day love this car, it is one of less than 10k ever made with the Gran Turismo stamp on it. I rebuilt the engine got it road worthy, and enjoy it all the time (except for right now as the tranny is no beuno).

Anyways this brings me to the start of my BMW and E30 story, last year I got a big tax return and decided instead of paying bills and being responsible, Id buy a euro, I missed my VWs and wanted something to throw money into, while looking for a MK1 TDI Caddy I found a few E30s that were really catching my eye. I had never considered buying a BMW but my uncle had an E30 for years and I had helped him form time to time when he built it, and I decided to hit him up and find more out on the car, and to my dismay he had sold the car but knew the buyer, and the buyer, to my excitement, was willing to sell the car. I was a proud owner of a 91 318is

Fast forward 6 months, while stopped at a cross walk, a 16 year old rear ended a mini-van that rear ended me...my car was hit pretty hard, enough to knock the bumper partily off and do a good amount of damage to the rear quater and trunk panel. After settling with insurance I bought it back, and sold it to a fellow R3V member, whom is now make it look very pretty and road worthy again, I had my heart set on a E34 M5 in great condition...however same night Id sell my old E30, he would sell the M5

Which brings me to a few weeks ago, I was hit up on R3V that he was selling his E30 M50. So I went down to Long Beach and thought it was a pretty solid car, drove very well, had a lot of power...after some negotiating brought it home. I was very happy with it, and could not wait to get going on some of the things I want to do with it.

This is the picture of the car that the dude sent me,

After I got it home and cleaned it up

And without doubt I of course cracked my oil pan the first night...

Nothing a little JB Weld cant fix...or a lot of JB Weld

My Build thread for the 62 Studebaker - Currently off the road for Tranny Rebuild

My Old E30
    Last edited by semaj4712; 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM.

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 84 Jetta Diesel

Comment

The Interior was okay, but I wanted to start there and I sent my car off to CastroMotorsports for new Muffler and Engine Mounts, and Skid Plate

Old Interior

Picked up a set of Recaro Trophies, only to find out you cant swap manual trophies over....grrrr

Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop

Test Fit the Rear Seats...good, but not perfect, bottom was just not quite right and had mounting issues, So I took the old bench and this bench to the upholster to have him recover the old foam with this material...

Anyways got the car up on the lift on Castros

Old Exhaust...

New Exhaust

New Skid plate from HIK Fabrication

Comment

I had also picked up another set of Recaro Trophies, this time Electrics and ordered my brackets...

Also got my AKG Quickshifter in the mail...

Anything was better than the sloppy 325i long shifter...and that damn center console had to be replaced

You can see the PO with their einstein engineering skills drilled that damn hole with it still in the car...what a mess, anyway

Old center console vs new

Trey (Yert315) came by and helped me out, (I couldnt get the bitch clip off a few nights ago) and we got the bitch in...Will say this, while it is a great quickshifter, all the threads were super freakin tight and are nearly imposible with a crescent wrench to tighten, and the seated bolts made it difficult to work with because the notches on the plate were larger than the seated bolt square, but we made it work...

Quickshifter in, and cleaned up the interior to install the new center console...

Whilst I was trying to put my old shift boot on it ripped and crumbled to pieces, so I decided to take an old crown royal bag I had sitting around and use that for temp, I had seen this done before but dont really like it...its just temp as I want to find and try to retrofit an accordian style shift boot

Ill end up getting a different shift knob at some point, but want to finish the interior before I decide what will look the best

I got both the Momo Steering Wheel Hub in and the Grant 6 bolt to 5 bolt adapter...

I finally got the steering wheel I ordered nearly 2 weeks prior, I am still waiting on the horn button which is also backordered...but in about 5 min I had the steering wheel assembly bolted on and I totally fogot to even take pics, oh well, here it is in all its glory, Steering wheel is an exact replica of the steering wheel from a 1967 Porsche 911R, they only made 20 911Rs so finding an original isnt gonna happen, but this is an exact replica down to the same manufacturer, Monza...

Here is what it would have looked like in the 60s and the an example of the horn button that is on its way...

Very happy with the way it looks and feels...everything is exact down to its 5 bolt pattern, (hense the need for the grant adapter plate)

Also decided to throw this on, I had it on my Previous car and the guy who bought it decided he didn't want it, it is a Reiger Roof Spoiler, many people seem to **** the look but I like it

Comment

so, when I bought the car it came with a e36 center console but it was spray painted to match and missing the actual center console, So I bought a full setup from a guy on Bimmerforums, and got it in the mail last week.

You can see the difference between the two consoles...

I prematurely cut off the leather from the center console but you can see the foam and center console here...

Since I had foolishly (or quite genius) bought the GLI back seat that was notched and not the right size, I had an extra arm rest to cut up.

I wanted to attempt to do this on my own so I borrowed a sewing machine from a lady friend of mine, but spend several hours swearing and didn't get very far, so she helped me out and mainly did the whole thing, but either way it came out great...

Here I am glueing the edges back onto the armrest....

And the finished product...

And I now have an e36 armrest that matches the new interior

Now since I have no idea how to put the armrest in since it was never actually in before, I need to do some research but eventually I will figure it out...

So the e30 to recaro seat brackets came in yesterday from massive, great buy, great brackets...and I went and picked up my rear lower bench from my upholsterer
          Snapped right in, and allows the 2.5 inch drop that the upper piece will need in order to bolt in

And then I got the brackets in the mail today from Massive Brakes, and rushed home to put them on the seats and get everything bolted together...

Seats out...

Brackets on Recaros...the Metal cable that goes across between the lift and right slider is a bitch, for some reason the PO had jerry rigged the thing on and it barely worked, it was a big issue when trying to bolt the seat in as it wouldnt slide right etc, got it to work but it was a pain in the ass, ordered a replacement from Pelican

And without too much fight, but a little bit of swearing on the passenger side, I got them in...they sit a lot lower than the comfy seats, which I like, but the seat belts stick up quite a bit, may try and see if the seatbelts on the sport seats are any smaller...but either way I am very happy with them, seats are firm and feel great

Will take better pictures this weekend at Socal Euro

This brings me to today, hope you have enjoyed the progress thus far and more will come shortly

Comment

So nothing really new on the car besides a few small things, like euro clock and maplight mirror...I did take some pretty nice shots of my car at the Big Socal Euro meet...

Comment

Holy shit, this is going to be absolutely amazing

Comment

I got in a package from an old VW friend...

Passat B3 Duck Bill front valence...

I really like the look of the IS lip and IS lip with splitter, but also I am still very partial to the old VW Duck bills...and saw this and thought it would be a nice idea to try it since I could get one for a steal

Here it is unmolested

Side by side with the modified one...the side was shaved by about an inch and a half...the front had to be shaved 4 inches (2 on each side) all the forward tabs shaved off, and then holes drilled for bolts and zip ties...

Truthfully ended up going on pretty easy and pretty happy with the way it works...

I mean for essentially costing me 10 bucks, it looks really good...but I am not very happy with this, part of this I did, hense the hole and too much shaving of tabs...but it sticks out a little bit, which doesnt bother me, but being able to see what I shaved does...open to ideas on how to fill this back in, Plastic filler??

I dragged myself outa bed early one dayto finally install the center console I have had sitting around for the past week or so...

I started out by drawing where the mount would be and where the insulation/Carpet would have to be removed...

Afterwords

There was a small tab I thought would have to be removed, so I ground it off with a Dremel...turns out it probably didnt need to be removed but it worked either way...I dont have a picture of the mount before the tab was removed but here it is afterwords, its pretty obvious the tab that extends below the base of the mount...

Mount just sitting in for bolts...

Bolted in, I did two self tapping bolts into pilot holes, seems to hold it pretty snug...

Quite a bit of it is in...

I used some smaller self tapping screws to hold the center console in place, two seemed to do it just so that it wouldnt wobble around, the arm rest and these bolts held it in firm...I also put some foam between the center console and the trans tunnel as there was quite a bit of empty space...

All done...

And the seats back in...It does seem to sit slightly to the passengers side, but truthfully I am happy with it and its hardly noticeable

Then santa brought some goodies from Germany

Installed

Comment

Some minor updates...

May be forgetting a few things here...
                  6k 55W Low Beam HIDS Installed
                  3k 35W Fog HIDS Installed
                  Smoked Turn Signals
                  Replacement Hood Shock
                  Replacement Fuse Box Cover

I also sold the BBS RS Wheels...I am excited to see the new wheels on this baby

Heres a pic from the Dockweiler meet last weekend

Comment

That was a pleasure to read and look at!! Great write-up

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Looks amazing, dude amazing. Love those seats.
                      now take it home and f*** with it- deftones

Comment

Love the steering wheel and b3 lip. Overall good car.
                        Volvo Build Thread
                        Bmw Build Thread
                        Toyota Build Thread
                        zanebonk instagram
                        Tumblrrrr

Comment

Finally a good update for you...

Over the last month I have been waiting for these bad boys to show up, and they finally arrived...

16x8 Fifteen52 White Snowflakes, according to Fifteen52 they only made 3 sets of white ones, and you can tell if they are original whites because they are ballseat and not conical...why, I have no idea

Because of the ball seat I needed to get a conical to ballseat washer, pretty cheap but saves your wheels and lugs from damage

Got some Muteki open ended tuner lugs

Because the wheels are offset 30 I needed to run spacers, I chose 12.5mm and 20mm rears

The wheels were slightly used and had different weights on them, no idea why my guy didnt clean them off when removing them, but o well, Ill clean them myself

I used vynal remover, and a scrubbing sponge

After a few passes you can see its working

Finished product

I bought 90mm studs from tuner motorsprt

And everything all together, I am very happy with the results, lowered the rear about a half inch, and the front 4 spins...I think it looks great

Comment

love the akg shifter i have one also so short so crisp.
                            "Chop it and Drop it"
                            insta---> @Tanis_j

Comment

Preferred the RMs
                              Follow on IG
                              amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                              Vintage AME Wheels
                              RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                              W115 & W123

Comment