Touring International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you=)

I was out Saturday and got all of the bushings removed. Their sleeves were the worst. I used an air hammer to cut them out of the subframe. I have to use the air hammer and a torch to cut the sleeve out of the diff cover. I didn't get much besides that done Saturday. I took too long to get those out. I did end up stripping the trailing arms completely down.

I then picked up some brake cleaner and a rust/paint stripper wheel so that I can prep the arms, subframe, and block for paint=)

Yesterday I worked on something that I have been putting off for weeks. Removing the lower half of the fusebox was where I stopped the relocation process. Yesterday I decided to do something about that.

I started by removing all of the relays from the lid:

I was then about to remove all of the wires for the fuses, but noticed something. Each section of fuses is clipped into the box. They were pressed in there really good, but I managed to get them out.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this before, since I see people just stuffing the whole lid under the dash. That looks half assed to me. I will be making a mount for just the fuses and relays to sit on. The rest of the wires will be neatly bound up and set aside.

A friend luckily stopped by and gave me a hand stuffing the wires into the footwell. I was tugging on them lightly before he arrived, but it wasn't working well at all. With his help, we had the wires all pulled in within about 10 minutes. Here is how it sits now:

And the mess I have to sort out:

Saturday will be filled with grinding, scuffing, sorting, and all sorts of adjectives. I'm hoping to get the wires organized, and the parts prepped for paint. I may possibly even get primer down=) We will see.

Tah Tah for now
    95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

• nice catch on the fuse box being modular!
      2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT #subarubaru - daily/off-pavement adventure vehicle
      2001 BMW 325i Wagon 6MT #daswagoon - wife's #becauseracewagon
      1996 Suburban 2500 TD #superbbourbon - tow bitch/people hauler

Comment

• Originally posted by frink84 View Post
        nice catch on the fuse box being modular!
        Thank you. When you just glance at the lid, it all looks like one piece. I believe I was feeling around on the under side of the lid and felt one of the clips. I looked and noticed that the sections could come out. They sure were in there pretty good. Bashed my nuckled a few times=)
        95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• I got out both days this weekend, but not for long at all=/

Saturday I was seperating my fusebox wiring. I put the fuses together in a bundle; relays together in another bundle; grounds into two seperate bundles; and I have a few other stray wires to sort out. I couldn't get any pictures due to the lighting. I need a real camera=( I then ran out of propane and left the shop. My feet were frozen and I decided to go out on a lake in the MK3 for a few hours. If my friend gets any video up soon, I will try to post it.

After all of those shenanigans, I returned Sunday afternoon after a nice lunch/breakfast. I had to get home before my girlfriend, so I only had an hour to

get anything done. I decided I would tackle at least one side of the block to prep for paint. I took pictures of both sides and then completed cleaning up the exhaust side.

Before:

After:

Wednesday I will be tackling the other side, as well as modifying my control arms/ cleaning them up for paint.

I'll throw this picture in just for fun. I'm trying to figure out if I want to just make a plastic panel to cover the fuse box hole, or if I actually want to weld a panel over it.

Any thoughts?
          95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• I got a little bit done yesterday.

I started off by cleaning the other side of the block up with what was left of my drill mounted wire cup.

I need to get a wire wheel for the grinder and it should get the last bits of stubborn rust dust off.

I then put a cutting wheel on the grinder and slipped working on the trailing arms=P

Whoops. Well since I "wrecked" one of them, I figured I would do the other.

I then got the idea, why not wreck the spring seats on the body? So I did.

More updates Saturday....or will it be sooner? =D
            95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• This car looks like a pile of dog poo...

Just kidding Earl, car's lookin' good. Can't wait for you to bring this to my meet in June!
              1999 Lexus GS300 | Bagged | Wed Kranze Borphes | STUPID

2001 325i |Coupe | Carbonfiber | Comfy

Comment

• YES! ze baggage FTW.. REAL NICCA ISH!

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

• Originally posted by 244Brick View Post
                  YES! ze baggage FTW.. REAL NICCA ISH!
                  Thank you sir=)
                  95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• Not gonna lie I loved this thing plasti dipped, and I have never like anything plasti dipped before. Those wheels will be insane when all is said and done top 5 wheels of all time for sure.
                    Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                    and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                    S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenpuncher View Post
                      Not gonna lie I loved this thing plasti dipped, and I have never like anything plasti dipped before. Those wheels will be insane when all is said and done top 5 wheels of all time for sure.
                      Thank you sir=) They're one of my all time favorites too.
                      95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl View Post
                        And Jaze just saved the day. Hopefully I can get everything buttoned up as soon as possible.
                        Here are some pictures of the broken-ness:

Strut somehow came unbolted from the tophat and fell out=/
                        Oh snap, no pun intended, well, maybe a little bit, lollerskates. This is how my baby looked after I severed a front hose a month back, not fun in the slightest!
                        Fleet

'95 E36 Compact | m50tu | 3.45LSD | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), Air House 2 (R) - BUILD THREAD

'02 E39 540i Touring | Muffler Delete | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), RE5 (R) - BUILD THREAD

Comment

• Loving the progress, taking time and doing it right!
                          Fleet

'95 E36 Compact | m50tu | 3.45LSD | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), Air House 2 (R) - BUILD THREAD

'02 E39 540i Touring | Muffler Delete | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), RE5 (R) - BUILD THREAD

Comment

• Originally posted by indiejack View Post
                            Loving the progress, taking time and doing it right!
                            I'm trying=) I just don't want to have to go back and redo most of what I'm doing now. I would rather keep improving than keep up on shotty jobs I've done.

I called in sick on Friday to go in and work on the car. I now need it to get warm out so I can paint these parts and reassemble it all.

I started off by slipping with a drill and hitting the trailing arms yet again. Somehow a tap followed.

One of them is dead nuts in the center, the other is slightly off=( I don't believe it'll be much of an issue.

I grabbed a new wire wheel and put it to good use.

Do you think the paint should hold pretty well with that little bit of rust dust left? I can never seem to get it with a wire wheel=/

I also decided to snap a few pictures of the rear brake lines. I am so glad that I decided to do the rear subframe now.

I'm hoping I can find a way to paint some of these items on Wednesday. I also have a few lists of parts that I need to order.

The wheels are in transit, and I will be ordering lips shortly. I also decided on a color for the centers=) I most likely won't make my June deadline, but I have not given up.

TTFN
                            95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• The paint will hold nicely. Just degrease it properly and put some primer on it.
                              The engine should look really good.
                              The Moskvich. (Video)

Comment

• I went out to the shop yesterday, only to leave after an hour so that I didn't freeze to the floor.

I did come home in time to receive a pleasant gift:

Only two came. The other two are somehow in Ghana, Africa 0_o

Then I got to work and split them=)

Hopefully the other two show up within the next week or two.

I also was surprised to see the width of the lips. I initially read that they would be 1" lips. Upon measuring, I found out the lips are 1.5". This is excellent news. Now I'll be putting 3" lips up front; instead of 2.5", and 3.5" lips out back; instead of 3"=D

More updates Saturday.
                                95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X