• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good with the progress

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Thank you=)

I stumbled upon this picture the other day. Someone took it while I was attending Eurowerks 6. This was the day after I sprayed on the plastidip. I wish I would have just cut bump stop then and been as low as I currently was. I also stumbled upon another that I will upload afterwhile.

95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

Found it=) Excuse my very dirty windshield.

95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

Got my horn button in. I wish I had more updates but my MK3 was giving me problems the whole week and I couldn't get to the shop. Tomorrow I am hoping to start pulling the motor finally.

95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

Those last couple of pics look awesome fair play

Click for the Phokus Build Thread

Comment

Thank you
              95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

Went to take another stab at removing the motor and no dice. I tried removing the harness from the engine. There is a box(located on the intake manifold) that sends the wires to sensors all over the right side of the motor. I removed about half of the plugs to it, and couldn't reach the others. Decided to try and remove the harness from the car side. I then noticed that the harness goes down under the fusebox. I don't think there is a quick disconnect there...so now I'm stuck and can't find any writeups for harness removal. I just need to get that done, unbolt the trans crossbrace, and then pull it out. Absolutely everything else is out.
                95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

Some of the wires under fusebox are in split terminals that can be disconnected. Easy to find out which ones, unscrew four torx crews in each corner and you can lift the top to peek in.

edit: Just remember to pull the crews up at the end.
                  Last edited by R. Jani; 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM.
                  Instagram j_rantala

Comment

I was working on getting that lid off, but those screws suck=) lol The Back two are hard to get at and it takes almost no force to strip a T10. I did get them off and it seems the relays on the side are holding me up front lifting the lid. I found a good writeup on removal, and also downloaded the Bentley manual this morning=)
                    95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

Ok, I had similar problems getting that lid off when I installed cruise but don't remember having any problems with relays. Did you unscrew the nut? XO shown in this photo http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eu...5_78010223.gif
                      Instagram j_rantala

Comment

I got that nut right away=) It was the red cable with the ring connector right? I couldn't figure out how to release the relays? Is there some sort of trick to it?
                        95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

Yes, it was that what I meant.
                          Not that I know. I didn't have any problems, if I remember correct relays should come with the lid in one pace.
                          Only thing that I had difficulty with was the screws in the back. I had to pull up at the same time when unscrewing so that they came of from the bottom part of the fuse box.

I would go check it form my car but it is - 20 celsius outside and I don't want to freeze my fingers or crack any frozen plastic parts.
                          Instagram j_rantala

Comment

I got it figured out. The harness actually just went to the relays on the side of the box. I removed them and now it is free. I removed the exhaust manifold, and tomorrow the motor will be able to be pulled
                            95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

I finally got the motor out yesterday=)

Here is how I hooked up the hoist:

It sucked trying to get the trans up enough to pull out. I had to be almost vertical. I also had to remove the brace before the frame rails.

I also used my spot weld bit to drill off all the brackets. The battery tray will come out when I remove the seam sealer.

The lighting was horrible in the shop, but I didn't care about fancy pictures at the time=) I'll need to get a nice camera instead of using my phone.
                              More shaving and miscellaneous other things to come on Saturday.
                              95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

I just placed my order for my subframe, trailing arm, and diff bushings from Silver Project. I got 75sha so that I don't knock my teeth out driving down the road=)
                                95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X