No announcement yet.

my kraut burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i didnt do much today, had to do some other things.

i finished the passenger side light wiring, mounted the horns on the same side, and rewired the thermo fans(fuse and relay i integrated with the fusebox, so had to change some wires at the switch and hooked up with passenger side loom)

only one pic today. will mount the black boxes from the ballasts when my extensions arrive.

also started wiring the alternator and starter wires, unplugged all the sensor plugs ready to sort out where i want them. also cut the innovative LC-1 open, so i can extend the socket wires and mount the module inside.

Comment

• so ive been lazy this week and havent done anything. the thoughts there, effort not so :p

i did receive some more bits from my mate yesterday, but forgot to bring em home.

so here they are: strut/stubaxle adapters for new custom control arms that are in the making. they will allow me to run a spherical bearing mounted inside a solid aluminum control arm for full adjustability. the spacers are to adjust roll center.

and the clutch master cylinder spacer. since the new pedalbox uses 2 master cylinders, theres not enough room for the stock clutch master to fit. so im running a wilwood one, and this spacer will allow it to bolt in the limited space left. it needs the face angled and holes drilled and tapped still. doing these myself to get it bang on(needs trial and error playing with the pedalbox).

Comment

• my coil on plug bracket arrived today. just need to order some coils and plugs and make a harness. this will allow me to get the coil packs off the guard, and not have to run custom leads.

also got my rear hubs back from getting machined down, now the discs fit on them, so might try and get the wheel bearings in on the weekend and i can finally test out the rear caliper brackets.

Comment

• Looking good dude! Will be good to see this thing in person one day in the future!
          Originally posted by anth
          Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

• oneday :p got so many things happening on it at the moment, gonna be a few months til shes on the road again. all in good time though

Comment

• rear subframe mods look very similar to mine! just a lot beefier. I think our IRS setups have a lot in common

Comment

• been busy with a new toy the last few weeks, picked up a e36 318is coupe for a daily, but been trying to get it ready for roady. thread here if you want a looksee

today i decided to do work on the e21.

dad finished welding the subframe the other day for me, so i cleaned up the welds, made sure the bolts all spun without interference and threw some paint on it. will clean up the control arms, sway bar and bbs mounts(which are still holding up nicely after god knows how many years) and put them on soon.

threw some new wheel bearings in one control arm to test fit the caliper bracket and new brakes. need to machine 1mm off the face of the brackets. same as the front, i mustve messed up caliper measurements somewhere in all my 3d'ing to get both of them the same amount off, since id made allowances in the brackets for shims to center them. guess i was ~2mm off somewhere. least its not much material. going to take 1mm off the face where the caliper bolts too, bring the pad down down a bit, since its over hanging ~1mm also

i managed to get the bracket spot on with the ridge on the face of the control arm(didnt notice this originally, but i think ill chamfer the edge of the bracket just to be 100% sure its sitting flat)

the handbrake arms clear the 15" wheel by ~2mm, this will be improved when the brackets get modified, but i'll have to be mindful of what 15" wheels i run in the rear.

otherwise, everything else clears fine

Comment

• so today i decided i might try and work off some of the delicious food from yesterday, and start hacking up my subframe to fit the skyline diff.

i cut the old diff mount off the chassis last week, which was in the way of getting the new diff up in there, got the diff up where i roughly wanted it and marked where it would sit(no pics, didnt think to).

dropped the subframe back out, and started cutting

first bits cut

diff fits

now i'll probably make the mounts for diff to subframe, so i can bolt it solid in place, then start clearancing and welding in plates to re-strengthen the front and clear the driveshaft bolts and speedo sensor wheel.

Comment

• so a big box turned up today, in it was a bunch of goodies from my mate

we have skimmed caliper brackets(i have to clearance some more on the rears, which i think ill clearance on the steel control arm as opposed on the aluminum mounts. its not much, but still.), skyline diff to e21 subframe adapters, and a bunch of stainless bolts for the simmons wheels for the e36.

ok, so inserts "press" fit in(read: bashed in with big hammer), fit perfectly. theyre NOT coming out any time soon. this is all bolted up with some spare bolts, which arent long enough.

and a couple close up shots

position isnt final, but it bolts up, which will make life MUCH easier for making the rear mount on the car.

Comment

• interesting build, like the modificaties you did

Comment

• Don't know how I missed this. Great work man, looking forward to seeing more.
                        91 Golf Rebuild - slow as fuck right now

Comment

• bolted the diff to the subframe and upto the front factory mounts today, to see where it all sits.

more than likely have to move the fuel pump and filter forward out of the way

exhaust needs minor repositioning

space between chassis rail and diff, need to work out what im going to do for a rear mount, so its nice and strong

might have to flip the subframe bushes to lift it up a bit

Comment

• Really like what you've done with your BMW, especially that you do it yourself. I've noticed your car constantly surrounded by Commodores

Comment

• yeh, i started off as a commodore boy, but ive slowly weened myself off them and onto bmws :p i only have one commodore left myself, and havent touched it in ages. the other commodores are either friends or family :p

Comment

• Originally posted by WhiteStripes View Post
                                Nice car man. The bike carbs are a cool idea.
                                Love the car!! You got any more info on what you did with the bike carbs? Im lovin that idea!
                                Originally posted by JC.
                                'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                                X