my kraut burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh yes!
    thanks, that's another thing good to know (the standard LSD) and one more thing i learn from you!

Comment

so we pulled the rear axles and bearings out today. this is the main reason for taking the car off the road, and im glad i did it now, and not later

the broken one is the outer bearing on the passenger side. its been broken for a while. the rest are pretty sloppy. theyve been changed at some stage in the cars 400,000+k life. 2 SKF, 1 FAG and one unbranded bearing. drivers side nut was on tiiiiiight, took a fair bit of heat and breaker bar to get that sucker off.

gotta clean the arms out before putting new bearings in, gotta chamfer the edge of the wheel hub to get the new rotors on, will do that next week when a new tool for the shed arrives

and a test fit of my caliper bracket, so far so good. need the bearings done to check positions.

bracket bolted on no worries(had to remove the rear dust sheild though, not sure if ill put it back on with clearancing, front doesnt have any and has been fine)

and holding the rotor and caliper in place, since theres no axle to put it on :p (cant bolt caliper to bracket, iblowns apprentice tapped the holes the wrong size, gotta make em bigger, and gotta grind off a few mm of the flange the adaptors bolted to)

Comment

more postwhoring ftw!!

ripped the front stock rotors and calipers off and decided to test fit on the car. need to get 1mm lapped off the brackets to center the caliper on the rotor.

shhhhhh im really converting it into a hovercar...

Comment

wow I rarely see this car in my country in good condition like this
          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22593

Comment

Nice man!

Your car looks dirty! lol I bet this is fun to work on!
            sigpic

Comment

yeh, she is a bit dirty, needs a good wash. yay for matte paint :p

its mostly roadgrime and coal dust from living near a powerstation

working on the e21 is so much fun, its fair simple for the most part, but doing my own mods/upgrades is mad.

Comment

those rotors are fucking nuts!!!

hovercar FTMFW

Comment

today i started removing my brake system, and started attacking the wiring to change to a better fusebox system in the glovebox.

plan is to hide as much wiring in the engine bay as possible

uh oh spaghettioohhhh

took my HID ballasts out, will hide them and redo all the headlight wiring. no rust under fusebox YAY

hopefully this will be the last time i remove the brake booster setup. gotta decide if i move the coilpacks or not, i welded mount nuts on the underside when i out them there. or go coil on plug if i can find some good coils, and sell the MSD coils, now that i have space.

Comment

so i did some more wiring stuff today, and moved the bonnet cable aswell. unfortunately, its just over an inch too short, so gotta get another one from work. took some brackets off the wheel arch, will have to grind and weld the holes/lumps left over. gotta weld up the hole left from the wiring grommet and fix a little bit of rust.

headlight wirings all out, ready to be replaced, gotta relocate and hook up the horns(theyre in the wrong spot now, need to be moved for brake cooling ducts

machined down the steering pinion to fit the bearing and circlip, but the circlip i had on it is too big, and no idea where the original one is, so gotta get one of them aswell, easy job though. the hubs i have to take more material off than i thought, and being stainless, the lathe just doesnt wanna do the job, so ill drop e off to a local machinist today to trim them.

Comment

and a bit more wiring done. everything wired upto the fuse holders, most of the relay wires done.

lhs wires are run through the firewall, need to add some protective tubing and tie it all to the chassis. waiting for some new smaller HID ballasts to come before wiring up the headlights and such

ordered some plugs last night that will allow me to run wires through the firewall for engine harness, which will make for pulling the motor out an easy task.

Comment

you still working at autobarn? havent seen the bimmer for a while.

and progress looks good. i **** wiring and electrical lol

Comment

yeh, still there. havent seen it, coz its been in the shed for the last 2 weeks :p driving dads old vr while i do some stuff to it.

Comment

still some hard work there! really love that!

btw, can i ask you something while the car is partially disassembled?
                            Can you measure the height of your complete front strut, from the bottom of it to the top of the shocks, even approximatively, i am really wondering if mine are not too shorts and they really seem to be from what i see on the last pics you posted.

If you can't, no big deal... i will see.
                            keep up the good work!

Comment

yeh, ill chuck the tape measure on it tomorrow for you

Comment

that's great! many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X