No announcement yet.

1995 e320 (hwy hntr)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alright, so last I left off I think I was just trial fitting the AMG's, so I'll try to pick up where that was lol, it's been a while

So I was trying to polish my wheels, it started out using some of those jeweler's rouge's and some buffing/polishing cone from Discount auto parts. I'll take a pic later I guess, but this is where it was at the time

not at all pleased with it and this was like hours and hours of sanding and then using that stuff, just sucked.

So around that time (January) I drove my car to the Rolex 24hrs in Daytona, and here are some pics of the car at the time

so when I got back I started with the polishing again and spoke to my brother who said to use his pad on a bench grinder thing...worked a lot better, here are some pics of the polishing after that

I need to upload some more pics, then I'll post everything up about sealing the two rears (what I've been working on in these pics ^)
    Instagram: danimal._
    Mercedes Build Thread
    Falcon Build Thread

Comment

• so at this point I had the faces and the lips of the rears where I wanted them, polished wise.

So I use a wire brush to get the old sealer off the barrels

my hardware was already chromed by the po, but the nuts were not only the bolts were, so I wanted to get some of the rust off them so they wouldn't be as hard to get the socket on them and they wouldn't be stuck, so I used some Prep & Etch to get the rust off

old nut vs new nut

stupid cat I have

Now it was time to seal them

These are the tools I used to torque the hardware on the wheels, I think I torqued them to 23lbs

I happened to have access to legit Mercedes-Benz RTV to seal the wheels with, in keeping with the OEM+ feel of the car

the rug is to keep the carpet from getting dirty lol

here it is in its box

mounted on the tire, this is a 17x10 and the tire is a 225/45r17, perfect size imo, clears the fender perfectly/barely and still has a tall enough sidewall to provide cushion

more to come
      Last edited by HWY HNTR; 05-06-2012, 03:23 PM.
      Mercedes Build Thread
      Falcon Build Thread

Comment

• cannot wait to see these mounted.
        C280 Build Thread
        C43 ///AMG Build Thread
        E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

• I posted pics in the showroom section with just the rears one but in case you missed that thread, here is one of those pics

so then I worked on some maintenance stuff on the car

I replaced my windshield washer (just one luckily on these cars) and the new ones have a little mercedes emblem on them so you can see from the inside of the car, kinda kewl

next thing I did was fix my auxiliary fans, I deleted my mechanical fan () and for some reason my auxiliary fans weren't coming on lmao so we did a little testing/rewiring

routing

so we added a wire into a factory inlet to the fuse box, it's pretty badass actually and it works perfectly now and doesn't over heat at all, prolly lets the engine turn a little easier too without the mechanical fan holding it back

so the reason up at this point why I hadn't been working on the fronts is because I didn't have a lip that I need for the fronts, but I talked to this guy, he had a lip I needed, I bought it, and it showed up at meh door

but it was chrome so I had to get that chrome off, so rather than wasting my time sanding or sand blasting it or w/e, I sent it off for like $50 to get it dipped and the chrome taken off and only took 2 days, including shipping, and shipping was free

when I got it back, I don't think there's any personal info on this pic so I'll post it up haha

also had one of the barrels welded

so since I had everything needed to finish them I started stripping the faces to start polishing

I normally use the Tal-Strip in the spray can but this time I tried out the tank of stuff

it seemed strong since it was eating through the disposable bowls I was using fast

but if I had to choose between the spray stuff or tub stuff of just that company I would go with the spray stuff, if you can get the legit expensive stuff then I would use that instead also

here's other lip getting ready to be polished

one of the lips done

one of the faces done

another lip done

and then mounted on some 205/45r17's that I bought

but they were too big, more on that to come
          Mercedes Build Thread
          Falcon Build Thread

Comment

• so I mounted the fronts, but the sidewall was too big and was hitting the sides of the fenders, here's a pic tho that I took at the time

so I was off to find smaller tires which seemed to be on back order everywhere I looked...

I got these in the mail

so then I find someone on the internet selling some used (barely) 195/40r17's, so I jumped on them

while the sidewall is great for me to fit them in the fender-well, they ended up not being skinnier, actually the same width or even wider maybe, blows hard

Here's a pic of my sealing job I missed so I'll post it up meow

ok, so fast forward, to now, I went over to a friends place yesterday for a Cinco de Mayo bbq to cut some springs and I drove my car, my front fenders do have a little rubber on them, meaning I'm rubbing, If the 195's had actually been skinnier I wouldn't have a problem and they would fit perfectly, but they're not, so I don't recommend Yokohama S-drives if you're looking for something skinnier than 205 Falken 912's. I am going to try to adjust the front alignment some to work out that rubbing problem, I may ad some more negative camber, idk yet. But here are some pics I took

So, that's how my car's sitting now. I need to work the alignment some to get rid of the rubbing issue and then that should be good for these wheels till winter. I'm still planning on fixing the body and paint before SOWO but it's getting close, so we'll see how far I get.
            Last edited by HWY HNTR; 05-06-2012, 03:01 PM.
            Mercedes Build Thread
            Falcon Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by projektzwo View Post
              what's the wheels sizes right now?

after i slammed my rear lil bit more, i realize that actually i'll need spacers or wider lips for my 10x17, so if your plan is to run lower than that, run as wide as possible
              8.5's and 10's, My fenders aren't modified yet tho

Originally posted by TheBenzE View Post
              One of the cleanest 124s ive seen! Really like how you are keeping it classic OEM
              me too, I think in the future I might do another swap instead of the 3.6 maybe a 5.5k swap although I do like the mpg's I get

Originally posted by DannyE32 View Post
              LOL .. that was me been retarded.

ok.. so I'll be watching this!

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
              I understand the rarity and the cool factor of the multi-piece wheels, but I like the monoblocks better.

New wheels should look amazing when refinished!
              yeah I miss them too, but luckily they're everywhere, I plan on picking up another set of them eventually

Originally posted by LowDirtyBastard View Post
              Anxious to see it with tires and cleaned up. did you specify what tire size you were going to run
              who is this

Originally posted by freshjive80 View Post
              sub'd!!!! lmk when you decide to sell those oz amg splits
              nevarrr!!! plus you hags a set meow

Originally posted by NeedingAnAudi View Post
              I already have dibs.
              what Arexxx saids

Originally posted by D&W View Post
              man so stoked on this for you. splits are rad. im jealous
              thanks man

Originally posted by JC. View Post
              I know you may not have updates, but what suspension are you currently running?
              Currently looking into the e36 coilover conversion, do you know if it's worth it?
              I think if you can get a set cheap it's worth it, especially if they're adjustable, only problem I hear is that you might have some issues for them bolting up top. Also since the e36's are lighter you might have a problem with that too, might be too bouncy. If you have the cash there's a coilover now for the W124 for around 1200 bonerstains, but idk about how stiff they are or how they ride, they do have height adjustments on them tho so that's good.
              Mercedes Build Thread
              Falcon Build Thread

Comment

• Dopeness! daniel it looks awesome!

Comment

• thanks alex, I should be doing some stuff this week as well so hopefully it gets better
                  Mercedes Build Thread
                  Falcon Build Thread

Comment

• Looking Good Daniel,
                    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                    the VW community is weird. dont try to understand, its like understanding africa.
                    Instagram: bigslowchevy

Comment

• it's getting there...

cheers!

flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
                        Looking Good Daniel,
                        Thanks broski 8]
                        Originally posted by projektzwo View Post
                        it's getting there...

cheers!
                        8]

A little video of me pulling into my driveway, that chirp is the right rear tire losing traction

Still hoping for bumper and paint before sowo lol
                        Last edited by HWY HNTR; 05-14-2012, 05:47 PM.
                        Mercedes Build Thread
                        Falcon Build Thread

Comment

• Those wheels are purdy <3
                          Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

Comment

• Originally posted by Raarasutra View Post
                            Those wheels are purdy <3
                            thanks man

also, lol at the Lakers...go Thunder
                            Mercedes Build Thread
                            Falcon Build Thread

Comment

• the 225/45 on tens look so much more at home on the124. i have that setup on my 201, its a little meaty but i like it. hope to see this shit down at sowo! if you see me in my car feel free to stop me and talk
                              Balls Deep Squad.

Comment

• Originally posted by w201e34 View Post
                                the 225/45 on tens look so much more at home on the124. i have that setup on my 201, its a little meaty but i like it. hope to see this shit down at sowo! if you see me in my car feel free to stop me and talk
                                Oh this shit will be there. Where you staying at? I know there were a couple of merc guys trying to get in on a photoshoot or something if you wanna join in.
                                Mercedes Build Thread
                                Falcon Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X