Carter N's Photography Advice Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kielan View Post
    George, I've watched your photography for a while, and you have seriously come a long way, that roller of Matt's 7 and the panning shot of that 240 are very solid photos. I honestly can't say more than get out there and keep shooting, you're seriously getting better, and better.

I know about back focusing issues as well, as my 50mm is doing the same to me, (which is a real shame because its my favorite lens and I use it almost exclusively), but I learned that a slightly missed focus really won't kill the image, and most people won't notice it at all. The only solution I have come up with, is to take 2 shots instead of one, chances are one of them will be more in focus than the other.
    thanks man, i really appreciate that. i definitely need to get more practice. it's a lame excuse, but i don't really shoot anything other than cars and there isn't much in my neck of the woods haha.

and yeah, i think the biggest improvement i made was shooting in burst mode. fire for effect and whatnot.
    -George
    flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by vdubkid View Post
      thanks man, i really appreciate that. i definitely need to get more practice. it's a lame excuse, but i don't really shoot anything other than cars and there isn't much in my neck of the woods haha.

and yeah, i think the biggest improvement i made was shooting in burst mode. fire for effect and whatnot.
      You're learning my friend. Don't worry about what the content is so much, you'd be surprised what a good photo can do for a stock car.
      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Kielan; Official answerer

Comment

• This is one of the most useful topic ever

At least it got me trying some light painting:

And also some panning.
          (Sorry about the wheelgap, they really should get these things a bit lower)

Comment

• These aren't car pics but they are of the first time I have ever went out and attempted taking pictures of a person... It's my wifes friend who wanted some bridal portraits so I said sure I will give it a try I'm shooting with a canon t3 and my images feel soft... From a lot of people who posted about the camera say they have soft images as well but I know the camera is capable of taking way better pics than I have skill for now. Anyway here's 2 pictures would love to know what you think, also how does light painting work in say a dimly lit covered bridge like in the pics after reading what you have said it seems like it could make for some cool pictures with people as well. Both of these pics are just as they came out of he camera no editing because well I suck at it so I try to make the best of the actual pictures until I can get a grasp on it lol

Comment

• One more question I have, is how can I go about getting the background blurred on shots where I'm not super close ton the car, I took some pics of my friends truck the other night and was trying to get it to do it but even in the Av setting on my canon T3 unless I picked a certain spot of the truck and zoomed in like the wheel the background wouldnt blur I tried all sorts of diffierent aperture settings and just couldn't get it, also my shot look blurry when made full-size I was using a tripod but with a low shutter speed could the force of me initially clicking the shutter cause shake and the pics to be unclear? Do you think a remote would help me some?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lowdown89 View Post
                One more question I have, is how can I go about getting the background blurred on shots where I'm not super close ton the car, I took some pics of my friends truck the other night and was trying to get it to do it but even in the Av setting on my canon T3 unless I picked a certain spot of the truck and zoomed in like the wheel the background wouldnt blur I tried all sorts of diffierent aperture settings and just couldn't get it, also my shot look blurry when made full-size I was using a tripod but with a low shutter speed could the force of me initially clicking the shutter cause shake and the pics to be unclear? Do you think a remote would help me some?
                Either a remote, or set the timer

Comment

• Originally posted by LronSigh View Post
                  Either a remote, or set the timer
                  Yeah after I got back to the house I thought what a dumbass I could have used the timer.... But still I wouldn't think I would have that much shake in the camera...

Comment

• Had a stab at some lightpainting its actually quite fun, i have a question though
                    Do you use multiple light sources or just one perticullar type of light?

Took these pics but not quite happy with them any ideas?

Comment

• I typically just use one light for light painting. I have found that florescent tube lights are the best because they give of a soft even pattern of light. It appears in your photos you may have used some sort of LED set up, that's not technically bad but I don't usually care for the bluish hue that it gives off..

The pictures are decent, #2 is the best IMO. You may want to focus on slow even movements around the car to ensure you light it all properly and avoid the streaks of darkness like the ones you see on the doors and hood.

Comment

Frankly I'm suprised you got those results with so much backround lighting .. .. I learned light painting in pitch-black darkness with no other light sources

I am just now trying to have some backround lighting ..... . but it is easier to get good results in totall darkness

this pic: 25sec exposure .. 16/f amperature . 400 iso ..... . ..... . for totall darkness:.. 30sec.. f/22 ... iso200

Comment

• Thanks for the advice Carter i knew there was some to do with how fast i was moving the light, when i took these shots It was actually very dark and the lights on the building were very dull.

Comment

• I recently discovered this forum and so far so good, have learned alot in this thread. I was wondering if you could point anything out i could do better with these photos

Comment

• Awesome help your giving out here carter, I just read through the whole thread every post lol. I am thinking about starting a 365 project like you stated a few pages back.
                              Currently I am a bit different then most of the guys here though, I shoot with a Olympus E-520, I like it alot and have no complaints. Tomorrow I am heading to Downtown jax for a local carshow so i will post some pics up. Im not very good so I will be looking for any advice possible.
                              Heres a photo I took awhile back just messing with some settings.

I was trying to blur out the background and keep the hat as crisp as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkúsJames View Post
                                I recently discovered this forum and so far so good, have learned alot in this thread. I was wondering if you could point anything out i could do better with these photos

They are a little over processed for my taste. I would tone down the contrast and saturation. Practice makes perfect, the more you shoot/edit the easier and better it will become

Originally posted by jungleman View Post
                                Thanks for the advice Carter i knew there was some to do with how fast i was moving the light, when i took these shots It was actually very dark and the lights on the building were very dull.
                                It's a delicate balance, you never want to stop moving because you will show up in the picture, but you don't want to move too fast because the light will become uneven or parts of the car won't be lit at all.

Originally posted by LaMaR- View Post
                                Awesome help your giving out here carter, I just read through the whole thread every post lol. I am thinking about starting a 365 project like you stated a few pages back.
                                Currently I am a bit different then most of the guys here though, I shoot with a Olympus E-520, I like it alot and have no complaints. Tomorrow I am heading to Downtown jax for a local carshow so i will post some pics up. Im not very good so I will be looking for any advice possible.
                                Heres a photo I took awhile back just messing with some settings.

I was trying to blur out the background and keep the hat as crisp as possible.
                                No problem man. If you are happy with your equipment that is all that matters. You don't need a Canon or Nikon to take good pictures, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Good luck with the car show, shoot shoot shoot!

Comment

Working...
                                X