Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my "Prosumer" Olympus C-8080 take better pictures then my Canon 40D SLR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my "Prosumer" Olympus C-8080 take better pictures then my Canon 40D SLR?

I'm by no means a good photographer but I understand the very basics. I currently have an Olympus C-8080 cam that I've been using for 5 years now and it take stunning pictures. Then about a year ago I purchased a Canon 40D with a Tamron AF28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 lens for my company, but been using it for personal stuff.

When comparing shots from the 2 cameras, the olympus take pictures that are much sharper (especially using zoom), WAY less noise when taking long exposure night shots at the same ISO, and pictures just generally look better, shadows, contrast, so on.

Is it because I baught a cheap lens for the 40D? It was one of those buy the camera body and accessories and we'll throw the lens in free deal. It was 850 new for everything.

I will take a few comparison shots tomorrow and you'll be the judge.

My guess... it's because the Olympus is designed to be simple to operate and give the best results in a variety of conditions when operated by novice users. Point and click and the camera tries to make the best choices it can based on various sensor inputs and a set of pre-set criteria.

Where as the results from the 40D are more dependant on you as a photographer and the setting, lenses, etc. that you use rather than some automagic settings. The 40D shines in terms of versatility and control and once mastered it should blow the Olympus out of the water.

Just my $0.02 worth HTH

my flickr

Comment

^^

I was about to type the exact same thing.

Comment

Great minds eh?!?! lol

my flickr

Comment

The lens you have on your camera is not very impressive. That and a DSLR makes it much easier to make mistakes if you don't know what you're doing in comparison to a fully automatic point and shoot.
          FlickR

"What really goes on in the mind of a n**** that gets down for theirs? Constantly, money over bitches."

Comment

Originally posted by wagonist View Post
            Is it because I baught a cheap lens for the 40D? It was one of those buy the camera body and accessories and we'll throw the lens in free deal. It was 850 new for everything.
            Absolutely. The body is irrelevant, it's the glass that you use that makes the difference.
            Jason
            flickr
            build thread

Comment

Originally posted by BoostSamurai View Post
              My guess... it's because the Olympus is designed to be simple to operate and give the best results in a variety of conditions when operated by novice users. Point and click and the camera tries to make the best choices it can based on various sensor inputs and a set of pre-set criteria.

Where as the results from the 40D are more dependant on you as a photographer and the setting, lenses, etc. that you use rather than some automagic settings. The 40D shines in terms of versatility and control and once mastered it should blow the Olympus out of the water.

Just my $0.02 worth HTH
              This.
              Originally posted by Jesus Christ
              if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
              Originally posted by Jedidiah
              he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Evins View Post
                The lens you have on your camera is not very impressive. That and a DSLR makes it much easier to make mistakes if you don't know what you're doing in comparison to a fully automatic point and shoot.
                bingo...with nikons is really best (at least from what i know, because i shoot canon) to stick with nikkor lenses.
                My Build

Comment

Originally posted by besthaticouldo View Post
                  bingo...with nikons is really best (at least from what i know, because i shoot canon) to stick with nikkor lenses.
                  Meh, really depends on which lens you're referring to. Almost all 3rd party lenses can't really "compete" with the Nikkor lenses, but they're 2-3x or more in price, so that's justification to going 3rd party.
                  Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                  if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
                  Originally posted by Jedidiah
                  he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Sigma can almost always compare with Nikkor (or Canon). If someone has been telling you otherwise you're being fed a load of horseshit. Tamron not so much.
                    Jason
                    flickr
                    build thread

Comment

With the right amount of time and skill, any picture will look great with Photoshop.

Also, depending on what you shoot that lens isn't a very good choice. Cars, I like to use a 50-250 lens. People, the 28-80 is ok... The biggest thing is are you using the auto settings or the p,tv,av,m?
                      Last edited by NerdCore; 12-14-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VicSkimmr View Post
                        Absolutely. The body is irrelevant, it's the glass that you use that makes the difference.
                        The body isn't irrelevant, but it's not as prominent as the lens is in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by XeRo View Post
                          With the right amount of time and skill, any picture will look great with Photoshop.

Also, depending on what you shoot that lens isn't a very good choice. Cars, I like to use a 50-250 lens. People, the 28-80 is ok... The biggest thing is are you using the auto settings or the p,tv,av,m?
                          He may have gotten a bad copy. Tamron isn't known for their quality control.

Example pics would help
                          Jason
                          flickr
                          build thread

Comment

Agreed about good glass.

Here's an example, my old man has a D90 (as do I) and some pretty average (slow) glass. Recently, he was complaining that he wasn't getting the sort of shots he expected and wanted to upgrade to a D700. I kinda talked him out of it and instead he ended up going with a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II. My reasoning was that even if he got the semi-pro body (D700), his glass would still let him down. Where as, if he got some decent glass it would shine even on a D90.

Now with the 70-200 his shots are much sharper and he has much more versatility with that lens even though it cost a bit more than the D700 body!

He's happy and so am I because now I can 'borrow' his 70-200 from him when I need it too Win, win situation IMHO. lol

my flickr

Comment

Originally posted by VicSkimmr View Post
                              Sigma can almost always compare with Nikkor (or Canon). If someone has been telling you otherwise you're being fed a load of horseshit. Tamron not so much.
                              Almost always? Not quite.

Some of their lenses are decent.. but they have horrible quality control and generally won't perform on the same page with top tier glass.

L primes > * One, maybe two Sigma lenses have image quality even close.
                              FlickR

"What really goes on in the mind of a n**** that gets down for theirs? Constantly, money over bitches."

Comment

Working...
                              X