No announcement yet.

Electric Car Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i see where you guys are coming from when it comes to advancing technology, but electric cars, as stated by stancy e39, are not new in really much of a fashion. Electric cars can be seen from late 60's to early 70's when the idea started to rocket, but i think we will keep hitting more and more walls. i still believe there are ideas on a more efficent energy source able to power an engine that were sold to the arab oil companies to keep them out of the market =)

Comment

I'll just put this here....

Rival House Garage. #allstarmotorwerke
      A Sherman Schwartz story build thread.

Comment

Natural Gas is the next fuel. Engine disign has evolved very slowley over the past 100 years. Now I know some will say that the engines are more efficent and I will not argue that but what I am saying is that in terms of the Otto Cycle and fundimentals of the mechanical engine have not changed much. We still use a crank to hold the pistons attached to the cam with a belt or chain. All that weight slinging around robs power. All rod bearings, wrist pins, timing chain, cams, ect rob power due to the rotating mass that needs moved and friction through the bearings. Spark plugs to ignite the system. I mean we have direct injection but that was used on diesel trucks for years.

Now that we have seen how hard it has been for car companies competing in the efficency wars to better there engines I find it hard to believe that we will have an engine that functions on something other then the Otto cycle. A lot of other contries where fuel prices are high are using Natural Gas cars. Sucks when a line with 4000psi breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear View Post
          I have always wondered why they don't make a diesel hybrid?? Especially in a car like the Volt in which the engine only charges the batteries.
          Delve into the diverse PEUGEOT range from Peugeot 308, Peugeot 2008 to All Peugeot Suv's offering a blend of style, innovation, and performance. Book a Test Drive!

Comment

Originally posted by TiiTO View Post
            I have thought long and hard and even talked with my step brother who deal with electric power cars and hybrids and i have came up with a solution.

i dont think electric cars will ever be put into mass production by all or most of the current companies (even with these gas prices) for a few reasons...
            "UK electric vehicle penetration is expected to reach around 60% of new cars and vans by 2030*"

* Renewable Energy Review 2011, Committee on Climate Change

Comment

The main problem I see with electric vehicles over gas is the lifetime of the car. Mechanical things can always be repaired and replaced relativity cheap since pieces are small and red idly available. Head gasket on my 97 528i cost me 45 for the gasket and 22 for bolts from pelican parts. I looked into getting a older Prius. The ones that had trunks before the little hatch ones. The ones with higher miles and that where cheap needed batteries that I could not find for sale anywhere. I read they are like 3 k. My 528i cost 2400 and needed a head gasket. Those cars are just throw away cars. Maybe they will become cheaper but if you have ever bought a cheap cell phone battery you could see why a car battery is a bad idea. I don't see why the diesel ones they get over seas don't come to America?

Comment

Originally posted by Stancy E39 View Post
                ...I don't see why the diesel ones they get over seas don't come to America?
                Because the fuel in the 'States is so damn cheap, nobody would buy a more expensive diesel hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by budski View Post
                  I'll just put this here....

electric cars make me sad, but at least you wont have to worry about the oil pan or exhaust dragging so that thing can lay on the ground

Comment

i plan to have an electric car and i was searching for it since i don't have any idea on what is the advantage and disadvantage of it. i still searching for a car parts online with the comparison of the two. can you guys help me on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hatech View Post
                      ^^^ i agree. as he said technology is always alot more costy when its something new.
                      i think once some of the major issues are sorted we will be surprised at the rate electric cars will develop. same with all technolgy.

I can see power sources being an issue, maybe not the biggest but i was thinking unless there was a way to "charge" your car at say a filling station then travelling anywhere would be a bummer. charging points could be slowly implemented into filling stations but money comes to mind again.i was also thinking that if the cars power source was like a battery then how long it would take to charge? im thinking a very long time. only from what i know about current battery technology??? im not really educated on that
                      i think i have heard of concepts in hybrids that charge the power source as the car moves

what about performance side of things?
                      can a electric motor (for a car) using excisting technology, generate power / torque / rpm etc etc similiar to combustion engines?
                      I know a guy with a tesla. there are plugin choices for cutting charge time. i forget the details but there as with all tech improvements will come with time
                      Hatchbacks, wagons... It's NOT all the same. You want in? Don't get a mazda 3, get a mazda 6 wagon. Don't get a wrx get a legacy wagon. and theres a reason the A3 isn't called the A3 avant... Scion does not make a wagon it makes a weird van, but no wagons

Sincerely,
                      The Wagon Mafia:Inner Circle
                      P.S. Is your tail a wagon?

Show cars are lame.

Comment

Imo, in 50 years, were going to look back and laugh electrics and hybrids. Although electric cars are a step in the right direction, they're just not feasible for everyone to drive. I think that once they can get the technology safe, you'll start to see more hydrogen and natural gas powered cars than electric. They just make more sense. Also as far as legitimate hybrids go, they're are utterly useless. Like everyone said, you can get a diesel car that's more fun and more fuel efficient and not look like a cunt.
                        tumblr
                        myata

Comment

Working...
                        X