Electric Car Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Car Theory

I have thought long and hard and even talked with my step brother who deal with electric power cars and hybrids and i have came up with a solution.

i dont think electric cars will ever be put into mass production by all or most of the current companies (even with these gas prices) for a few reasons.

-They are expensive to make
    -Electricity isnt as "reliable" in the sense of running a car (longevity,and other internal problems)
    -They have the common problems which would take LONG times to perfect i.e. charging issues, how long they can run, power, and power sources
    -There are up and coming ideas of running a car using an engine much similar to what we have now using things such as salt water(with a filter system), waste products like oils and such.

I believe that there are already engines the people or companies have made that have been bought out by gas companies/ arab oil lords, that have found a way to efficiently run on something besides gas.

This is a big topic in the car world so i thought i would bring it up here, so please post your ideas, thanks.

Technology progresses. Mobile phones used to have a backpack attached to them and last an hour; now your iPhone can stay charged a few days and do a lot more. I'm willing to bet the same will happen with hybrid and electric automotive technology in the next 20 years.

The cost issue? I believe that, like the cost of all new technologies, will decrease with more and more production.
    Reliability? Like I said the technology will progress, and I haven't exactly heard of any catastrophic failures in hybrids on the market today.
    Other ideas running on saltwater? They're not on showroom floors, hybrids are. I don't know much about the other ideas but I'm assuming they're not being implemented into existing lineups for a reason.

I **** hybrids with a passion and I'll never own one, but for the average soccer mom and 9-5 dad put em all in hybrids... it'll help drive the cost of the technology down. I'm for supporting hybrids.

Comment

^^^ i agree. as he said technology is always alot more costy when its something new.
      i think once some of the major issues are sorted we will be surprised at the rate electric cars will develop. same with all technolgy.

I can see power sources being an issue, maybe not the biggest but i was thinking unless there was a way to "charge" your car at say a filling station then travelling anywhere would be a bummer. charging points could be slowly implemented into filling stations but money comes to mind again.i was also thinking that if the cars power source was like a battery then how long it would take to charge? im thinking a very long time. only from what i know about current battery technology??? im not really educated on that
      i think i have heard of concepts in hybrids that charge the power source as the car moves

what about performance side of things?
      can a electric motor (for a car) using excisting technology, generate power / torque / rpm etc etc similiar to combustion engines?

Comment

Electrically powered cars are a bit of a stop gap until fuel cell technology catches up. I find it quite laughable that the cars (electric/battery powered) built to save the planet do more harm than good as far as production and charging said vehicle is concerned.

As far as performance, electric motors can produce a lot of power there is a VW beetle over here in the U.K that has run 9sec 1/4s

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC79QfYuYdY"]Black Current qualifying Santa Pod 25-06-2011 9.95 seconds - YouTube[/ame]
        Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster
        Internet high five for you.

Comment

I have certainly have the same thoughts about hybrids and electrics... I drive a tdi as a daily and nothing infuriates me more than being stuck behind a Prius... I'm always just telling myself that I get just as good fuel milage, my car costs less to make, it isn't filled with toxic batteries, I can climb hills with ease, and I don't have to drive a car that looks like a Prius... I know they look better when they're lowered, but at least I'm not trying to show everyone that I'm trying to save the world.

Comment

Like I said the technology will progress, and I haven't exactly heard of any catastrophic failures in hybrids on the market today.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJereMoose View Post
              I have certainly have the same thoughts about hybrids and electrics... I drive a tdi as a daily and nothing infuriates me more than being stuck behind a Prius... I'm always just telling myself that I get just as good fuel milage, my car costs less to make, it isn't filled with toxic batteries, I can climb hills with ease, and I don't have to drive a car that looks like a Prius... I know they look better when they're lowered, but at least I'm not trying to show everyone that I'm trying to save the world.
              I daily a Golf TDI as well and being able to go over 1000km on a tank is amazing, fuck the Prius. For an interesting read research the effect that Toyota has had on the town of Sudbury alone (where they mine for the nickel in their batteries). It's disgusting to say the least... A HUMMER has less of an ecological footprint than a Prius does, including 10 years of driving calculated at 20,000km/year. I forget what the study is called but all the facts and figures are laid out very thoroughly.

I will never own one, but for the retarded masses who feel like they need to SHOW that they're saving the world, fuck it put them in a Prius and that will at the very least help slow the rising cost of fuel for the rest of us.

Comment

I loved the test they did with a Prius and a BMW on Top Gear!
                Last edited by MrJereMoose; 04-15-2012, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I have always wondered why they don't make a diesel hybrid?? Especially in a car like the Volt in which the engine only charges the batteries.
                      Word

Comment

Jesus that electric beetle is fast.

Originally posted by iliescu View Post
                        For an interesting read research the effect that Toyota has had on the town of Sudbury alone (where they mine for the nickel in their batteries). It's disgusting to say the least... A HUMMER has less of an ecological footprint than a Prius does, including 10 years of driving calculated at 20,000km/year. I forget what the study is called but all the facts and figures are laid out very thoroughly.
                        After i read this i found an article basically about the same thing. I really had no idea that this was the case, that the prius has a bigger footprint before its even hit the road
                        Did Toyota not consider this? A massive manufacturer like toyota surely couldn't of just overlooked this bs. This thread has made me think very differently about hybrids.
                        Electric cars are a good idea but until fuel cells can be produced more enviromentally freindly and/or there is a change in technology then i dont really see the point in mass producing anything.

Comment

To say that the technology will come around as it has been devoloped for long is not true. Electric cars are not a new idea at all. They suck just as much as they did if not worse then they did back then. In short very little advancements have happened. I mean look at internal combustion engines. What revolutionary things have taken place inside them? It's still a crank turning a cam in some way that operates the valves. Nothing ground breaking here. Internal combustion engines are something that are used on a hugely wide scale and we can't even improve them that much. I will burn fuel for the rest of my life and will do so happily. In fact I miss buying leaded race gas at the pump for 3.60 back in 2002. 110 high led gas smells awsome. Here is a article on the old NYC electric cab company from the late 19th century. Life is to short to drive boring cars.

New York City is proud of its six upcoming Nissan Leaf cabs, but more than a hundred years ago an all-electric fleet of taxis served the city using technology that even today would still be considered cutting edge.

Comment

fuck hybrids.

that is all.

Comment

Guys look at BMW's new models and their mpg's thats just plain wrong...

Examples:
                              328i:
                              Acceleration 0-60 mph – Automatic transmission: 5.9 sec
                              Automatic transmission – City/Highway: 23 / 33 mpg

And for the record new F10 and F11 530d and 535d are fast & economical as well..
                              Last edited by Exami; 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM.
                              Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
                              Now: MB W211 320cdi
                              Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

Working...
                              X