Getting an E30 Low - Sump Saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an E30 Low - Sump Saving

So i'm in the market for an E30 and I'm going to want to run it very low.

Currently running a Mk4 platform car and with an engine raise, the only thing i'm hitting is subframe which is not a problem. However, after researching it seems that E30 sumps are pretty dang low.

The general consensus seems to be that the smaller engines have the lowest sumps, with the 318 being the lowest. Is that right?

I'm on the lookout for either a 320 or a 325 anyway, and from searching around it seems that these sit the highest. Are there many problems with raising the engine on an E30? Obviously being a rwd car it's going to have more effect than on a fwd car, but is it possible to raise it enough to get it above the subframe?

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated!

It is possible to raise it, but too much will get the driveline all out of whack and you'll start blowing guibos and center support bearings. They aren't too far below the subframe so with a beefy skid plate, you'll be fine. The pans are aluminum so they're pretty prone to cracking if you hit them hard enough.

1983 528e, 230,xxx miles, Alpine weiss. M20B25 swapped
    my tumblr.
    What the f**k is a build thread?

Comment

You can shim it up a little without too much trouble. Get fresh motor mounts,that gets you a little right there, and add large washers to taste. Mine is about even with the subframe (m20).

Flickr

Comment

Ended up making my own sump from steel after cracking the alloy ones too many times!

Comment

my e30 runs a m42 which is the lowest of the low sumps and ive smashed/ cracked a few now, my alloy welding guy loves me haha, well not anymore now ive fixed it

I made some new engine mounts using range rover classic engine mounts and fabbed up a little riser box the inlet manifold just touches the bonnet now, I also run the RRC mounts as gearbox mounts as well works brilliantly

heres the RRC mounts and the riser box

and heres one of my 3mm sump guard which sits the same high as the subframe with some wear marks on it were the sump used to sit on it before i had time to make the new mounts, now i haven't touch wood touched a sump in over 5+ months i think of hard daily scraping miles so i call it fixed can even see this sump has been welded up

The stupid is everywhere.

Comment

plenty of folks selling skid plates to cover your belly

Comment

My e24 sump is the lowest of the low sumps. Even with Billie and h&r spring set up, my pan is on the verge

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by 6inarow View Post
                My e24 sump is the lowest of the low sumps. Even with Billie and h&r spring set up, my pan is on the verge

Jon
                Correction. Your sump is lower. I remember, I had a 91318is, and it was all stock suspension, and I busted it up on an inclined driveway and put a crack in it.

I digress.

And using a skid pan helps too. There are some low-pro skid pans out there.

Jon

Comment

I used engine mounts out of an M50 powered E34 in my old car. Never had a problem with it.

_MG_4382.JPG

Comment

I've cracked only 2 pans, 1 recently on my current e30. Most people raise their motors because its the cheapest, easiest way to achieve some clearance and gain protection. All of the individuals who raise their motor will undoubtedly tell you their drivetrain is unaffected and stand behind it. I say this is completely wrong, you are lifting the motor which in turn changed the angle of the drive shaft. Drive shafts can change angle and are designed to so during the operation of a vehicle, so going down the road and going over bumps and dips cause the angle to change. However, this change is only momentarily. While the drive shaft goes through this change in angle, you feel no vibration because the design allows this. So, if you raise your motor you will feel no added vibration, which is an explanation people will give you to back up the fact that their raised motor is not effecting their drivetrain. BUT, this will place a strain on your drivetrain and you will start blowing guibos and center support bearings as Nick stated.

Hey, bushings and bearings are going to take a shit regardless. A raised motor just accelerates the wear and tear. Slammed the shit out of it at all cost. Its sooooo worth it

But seriously, just spend the extra cash and get a skid plate, I got mine and installed it three days ago. It literally saved my pan 3-4 times the first day I took it out. Practically paid for itself already. I'm in no way affiliated with this company but this is the plate I got, its worth the $$$ http://e30motorwerks.com/index/servi...19-skid-plates
                    [Cut. Weld. Scrape. = Bagged e30 Build Thread]

[Instagram: Ritchie_30]

Comment

Working...
                    X