18" bbs rf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KarlSpackler View Post
    Can you partially assemble one so we can see what it looks like both face and sandwich mount?
    Interested in seeing what that huge mounting flange looks like vs. the big step in the lip
    There is no face mount.

Besides one single model of RSs I'm aware of, all BBS RSs and RFs must be sandwich mounted.

Mounting any center on top of halves results in stresses being put on the bolts, rather than uniformly distributed across the center/halves like in a sandwich mount.

So if you see any RSs mounted that way- beware.
    Last edited by hexagone; 01-20-2013, 08:20 PM.

Livery Wheel

Comment

No they are not. Most upsized lips till now from several major manufacturers as well as some of the smaller manufacturs have the large bolt shelf. For a while it was the most direct way to upsize the wheel half as much as it does.

Now fortunately, I am going to be able to do slant lips as well. I have been trying to push the slant lip designs I have in solidworks for the past 18 or so months. Finally able to happen and will do so this spring on a few sets that im working on..

I would asseble, but the faces are not in my shop. I have not been able to pick them up from powdercoat as I have been swamped with work, and am waiting on about 10 sets of wheels to be finished before I make the trek.

And as for the sandwich/face mount debate, it really depends on how deep the bolt shelf on the face is. If it covers the thickness of both of the wheel halves, technically there should not be added stress on the parts. If the face cut in depth is not as thick as the wheel halves together, that would be another story. When I have the faces back (Saturday) I will take pictures of my thoughts. If when I put the wheel halves together and sit the face on it- and it covers the depth of both of the wheel halves- technically the stress would still be loaded on the depth of the wheel face, moreso then the bolts themselves. Same base of thought for the centerbore taking most of the stress on a wheel rather then the actual bolts.. Just at a larger diameter. Again, when the faces are back in my possession, I will for sure experiment and document.

With that said, we all have different opinions on this, and I'll find out from a few engineer friends if there is some logic to one though over another. As we all know, most newer wheel designs are face mounted, and the actual design has not changed all that much. The drop in the face though has deepened up to allow the clearances to cover the wheel halves being assembled directly adjacent to each other.

I will update on my findings in a few days, and will be test fitting the set on the e36m, and an e46. I would love to see these things sell and make it onto someone project this coming spring
      Last edited by 1badg35; 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM.
      sigpic
      1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
      1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

since this is a FS thread, keep those offers coming. I know many more will come in once the pictures are here, and that will most definitely be next saturday

3800 + shipping obo

18x9.5 and 18x10.5 goodness
        Last edited by 1badg35; 01-20-2013, 08:55 PM.
        sigpic

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

Comment

I would be down for a test fit!
          @sd262 - instagram

Comment

I would be in for this too.

I almost bought an e46m with 50k on it a few weeks ago, but passed on it. So I was in looks for one to test fit. Maybe we can figure something out soon.

These will be going on the e36m this coming weekend for a test fit for sure.
            sigpic

Comment

Very interested in these for my e39
              Foundation Blue
              Follow me on Instagram

Comment

its so cold out , all i decided to do was place one together and throw some bolts in so you get the idea. its not assembled just yet.... Everything looks sick though. the polished half heights really set it apart as where most have painted plastic caps

lets get these sold. 3800 as shown + shipping at buyers expense. only options are for me to match the bolt head powder to the centers (or chrome like shown) and black/gold caps drops 80 off the price

heres another pic. dont mind the snow on the pic. kinda blurry iphone pics for now
                Last edited by 1badg35; 01-26-2013, 03:37 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

bump. perfect set to throw some tax money at. ha
                  sigpic

Comment

They look so nice Vince....I think the style of lip you went with is perfect for the RF's. Some of the other upsized lips, like bubbles or even stock BBS slants can really make an RF centre look small, but even in a dark colour these still look proportional to me.

Are these lips/barrels something you'll be getting again and keeping in stock to sell?

Comment

Thanks Mike
                      i have no problem running sets of these again. I too think its the perfect choice for the RF face, horrible for an RS face because of the scale of the details that make the face.. This scales itself well with the large sweep of the 5 spoke face. I really do love this set, and cant wait to see who decides to run these puppies

all the parts are made to order because there are so many widths we can do. basically 0.0" to 6" outer and 5" to 10" inner. But I have no problem running these off whenever they are needed

slants are up next. cant wait for an 18x4 slant lip when that hits!
                      Last edited by 1badg35; 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
                        ....all the parts are made to order because there are so many widths we can do. basically 0.0" to 6" outer and 5" to 10" inner. But I have no problem running these off whenever they are needed
                        Makes perfect sense, you're not a wheel parts supplier so why would you stock a range of sizes, duh......I'll see how my RF's pan out and what I decide to do after I've run the first few sets. Might be ordering some from you later in the year.

Comment

cool, looking forward to the future projects.

a few offers so far, but not yet sold... lets get these sold. Im going to put them up on bimmerforums at some point today as that should help with these selling..
                          sigpic

Comment

Why can't the spinners add another step on the bottom just to make the bolt mount shelf smaller? This would be my idea of a PERFECT LIP!
                            90' BMW M3
                            97' BMW M3 4/5

Comment

ive already tried to make it happen about a year and a half ago. The tooling doesnt allow for 2 steps to happen adjacent to each other on the machines used to make these.
                              sigpic

Comment

color is super cool in sunlight vs darkness. the color really pops when the sun hits it. unfortunately no sun lately. haha

the set is all complete. sealed assembled and ready to go
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X