No announcement yet.

FS: 1998 Nissan Skyline GTT - $30000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a feeling that you aren't telling everyone the whole story about the car.

Was this car legally imported into the US? If it was, you shouldn't have a problem with getting a title. If not, selling it is illegal, and this car should either be exported or crushed.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
    @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

deleted.
      Last edited by mighty mouse; 12-07-2020, 09:51 AM. Reason: deleted.
      Miata: 298.6whp - 270ft/lbs - 8500 RPM
      GC8: 320 awhp - 295 ft/lbs- 8250 RPM
      http://stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23302

Comment

Originally posted by mighty mouse View Post
        I get this response from pretty much everyone who "knows about Skylines". Yes, the car was legally imported, and yes, it cleared US Customs. Yes, I have the paperwork which states this. No, you can't just walk into the DMV and get this car titled- it's a very expensive process that takes quite a while. If it were that simple, everyone would be doing it. Selling a car without a title is also not illegal. I suggest you spend some time reading through the forums about this as it's covered pretty in depth before making accusations and spouting off things that just aren't true, rather than just basing things off your "feeling".

Thanks.
        No, he's right. The car is newer than 25 years old, it was not imported under show and display or race use, and it's not on the eligible imports list. Good for you that someone was able to sneak it past the border, but that doesn't make it legal. A DOT bond release letter does, which is obtained when an RI presents verification that the car conforms to U.S. standards.

Any car newer than 25 years old must be imported by a registered importer (RI). It immediately goes to their facility, where they complete the necessary work to make it conform to U.S. standards. This would include crash testing (more on this below), and being a 1998, converting it to OBD2. They then present evidence of the work, and if it conforms, they receive a DOT bond release.

As you're probably aware, there are legal R34s in the U.S. Motorex had crash testing done on late model R33s with airbags because they were least expensive Skyline available with them. They then claimed all R32, 33, and 34 models under a "substantially similar" clause to avoid testing every model. This was approved, and they imported several (13 IIRC) R34s. The DOT later reviewed the testing and rescinded their decision to include only the model tested. As stated in the eligible imports list (link below): GTS & GTR (RHD) a.k.a. "Skyline" manufactured 1/96-6/98. The R34s already imported were grandfathered in and remain legal, but they are no longer eligible.

I don't care if you sell an illegal car. Just don't present it as legally imported. Make sure everyone knows the risks. It can be seized at any time.

Comment

I get this response from pretty much everyone who "knows about Skylines". Yes, the car was legally imported, and yes, it cleared US Customs. Yes, I have the paperwork which states this. No, you can't just walk into the DMV and get this car titled- it's a very expensive process that takes quite a while. If it were that simple, everyone would be doing it. Selling a car without a title is also not illegal. I suggest you spend some time reading through the forums about this as it's covered pretty in depth before making accusations and spouting off things that just aren't true, rather than just basing things off your "feeling".

Thanks.
          So what is your super secret method to getting them titled that costs 4k?
          Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

deleted.
            Last edited by mighty mouse; 12-07-2020, 09:52 AM. Reason: deleted.

Comment

Nowhere did I state it was a Fed legal, bond released car. All I said was it cleared US customs, and I have the paperwork to prove it. I really don't want this thread to turn into an argument like every other skyline FS thread. This isn't the first car I've brought in, had titled, and sold either.

There's nothing secret about it. It's just an expensive process.
              If its not a secret then how is it done?
              Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

deleted.

Comment

deleted.

Comment

In a nut shell, we trailer the car to FL, where it undergoes an inspection at the DMV. After it passes (documentation is supplied stating it passed), a titled is issued, and we then trailer the car back home. The car can then be titled in any other state just as every other car.
                    This sounds sketchy.

Everyone should be aware that R34 Skylines do not have EPA or DOT approval anywhere in the US. Therefore, getting one titled, insured and LEGAL for road use is not possible. You may get it titled as an R32 or 240 or something that it is not, but it will never be an R34 and can be taken from you, impounded, crushed or whatever. You want to give this guy 30k for an R34 and live out your Fast and Furious dreams, be my guest. Just know that you'll need to be one step ahead of the law the whole time. But you should be ready for that already, Brian O'Connor.

RIP Paul Walker

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

I know I could get this car titled in TN without an issue. I'd sign an affidavit of ownership, say I bought the car without a title from a state that doesn't require them (GA, etc), and after a few hoops, I'd have an R34, legally titled and insured, no problems.

That's not the tough part. The part that people need to understand (knowing that I am about the furthest from the authority on importing cars and skylines) is that doesn't mean the car is "legal." It has no EPA or DOT approval, and the moment your title raises a flag with the wrong department/county/state or even just a knowledgable police officer, everything is gonna come crashing down.

Even if you get a title, per the methods stated above, or otherwise, even if it's state-issued and 100% legitimate, it doesn't mean the federal government can't seize the car if you drive it on the roads.

I could be wrong. But I'd place a healthy wager on it. I know my way through the car titling process.

Comment

deleted.
                        Last edited by mighty mouse; 12-07-2020, 09:53 AM. Reason: deleted.

Comment

Thanks for the public service announcement.
                          You're welcome.

When a thread gets reported to me, as an admin, it's an obligation to at least summarize what's going on. If you'd prefer that people not speak the truth I can close this for sale ad instead?

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Ha.

Wonder how much ICE rewards for anonymous tips that lead to prosecution and conviction...

Comment

^what a bro

Comment

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                                ^what a bro
                                I'm sure as hell not gonna do it, I know what snitches get and where they end up but if it's enough flow you know hella bros at the first car show you go to are gonna be all over that and then you're gonna be getting f'd by the long d of the law.

People gotta be smart. GLWS could be a fun race/drift car w/ no legal issues to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                                X