Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about my spring rates?

Hey

My current spring rates are 700F/750R. 6 inch springs on front and back. I have sectioned housings in the front so it sits nicely but my rear isn't low enough. That brings me to my problem. I want to get 4" springs on the rear but the highest spring rate I could find is 600lbs. Would I run into an issue with a 600lb rear spring? My car is around inch till it bottoms out so I don't have to much room for it to move. And should I be running the stiffer spring in the front? Most setups I see usually are stiffer up front since the engine is there.

I could run either a 700 or 750 up front and a 600 in the rear. Anyone see any problems with this or any suggestions?
    -Jason
    91 Lagunengrun 325i
    88 635csi (Parted & Crushed)

In a car like an e24 with struts all around, the wheels rates are roughly the same so you want to stagger the spring rates to match the weight distribution. I don't know what the exact front to rear percentage is but I assume like most bmw's of the era it's front biased, so yes you would want the stiffer rates up front. This is purely a starting point however; if you're going for handling there are many different suspension factors that could cause you to want different rates.

And I told you in your last thread that hypercoil makes a 700lb 4" 2.5id spring.

Comment

Ahh my bad I saw that they made the 700 on the catalog but I was on a distributors website and saw only up to 600 so that confused me.

The weight distribution is 55/45. I'm thinking about throwing the 750 in the front and getting the 4in 700 for the rear. Would that be optimal?
      -Jason
      91 Lagunengrun 325i
      88 635csi (Parted & Crushed)

Comment

Working...
      X