No announcement yet.

Calling all RWD Corolla owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The KE70 isn't necessarily a "forgotten" chassis, its' just not a popular base to modify in the US.

That being said, your best bet is AE86 inserts up front with a shortened housing or a gland nut spacer, and the aforementioned Camaro shocks out back. In both cases, an AFCO or Ground Control coil sleeve kit with trimmed spring perches up front, and a shock clamp in the rear to hold the sleeves will do the trick. At that point you'd essentially be building your own coilover setup with budget internals.

For the rear, I am led to believe the Camaro shocks are the same outside diameter as the OEM Toyota shocks. My '85 Cressida had '87 IROC Konis on the rear, with a shock clamp for a spring perch, and heavily-modified Saab upper spring hats in addition to the stock rear springs cut in half in their original location. Ideally you'd want something like Techno Toy Tuning's rear coilover conversion kit for the 86 chassis: https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/a...n-ae86-corolla

T3 also has front coilover conversion components specifically for the KE70 chassis, albeit at a hefty expense.

If I were in your position, I'd look closely at T3's product images as well as individual suspension setups online and in person, then flip through Summit Racing's online catalog for similar parts to fabricate your own setup. If I had a KE70 in front of me, I could tell you the exact parts you'd need, and could even fabricate you a rear setup, more than likely a LOT less than what T3's 86 setup retails for.

Hope this information helped you a little bit. Good luck with the project. The KE chassis is one of my favorite classic Toyotas.

-edit-

You should be completely fine with drilling an extra hole in the strut tower to fit 86 camber plates. I've done this with several cars [like my Starion] to use Nissan S13 camber plates at all four corners.
    Last edited by Daviticus; 04-16-2012, 01:33 AM.
    - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Hi mate,

I just changed all the suspension in my KE70. I used;

AE86 Struts
      Koni Yellow Shocks
      AJPS springs (www.ajps.com.au)
      XT130 Corona Lower Control Arms
      JustJap.com Adjustable Camber Tops (these didn't need hole redrilling, nor did it affect caster adjustment like some other camber tops do)

In the rear, I used;

Koni Red AE86 Shocks (Can use Camaro as you mentioned. You can also use Holden Commodore.
      AU Ford Falcon springs, cut to height. (As these are a much heavy duty spring, they sit captive once the car is lower) Also has a notch welded into the bottom spring seat to help them stay captive.

Almost all AE86 parts will fit suspension/engine/drivetrain wise.

Cheers,
      Shazza
      1983 Toyota Corolla KE70

Comment

guys the info you provided is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much.

I think a lot of my confusion has stemmed from the AE71 / TE72 / KE70 model confusion that seems to circulate around the internet everywhere I'm looking.
        Lower your expectations, you'll be much happier.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

About time lol
          | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

Yeah, sadly there is a lot of misinformation floating around which makes it difficult to get proper answers for less-than-mainstream vehicles. You have no idea the hell I go through trying to figure out suspension stuff for my Shelby, everyone has a different answer [including Shelby Automobiles themselves] as to what was originally equipped, what has been modified, and what is OEM Chrysler.
            - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

ordered everything up.
              how I'm gonna do it:

-KYB rear shocks for a Camaro
              -M2 2" lowering springs for 84-87 AE86 (dimensionally different but confirmed will work.)
              -KYB front strut inserts for 1988 Audi 80 (1.5" shorter casing, going to shorten the strut housing to fit.
              -AE86 "universal" drill-your-own camber plates

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

edit: it's actually my car, just wanted to surprise a few buddies locally I'll probably start a build thread for this.

The springs need to settle, cut some more dead coils out as well. I converted to 4x100 and to run some wheels I had layin around, threw on a lip and spoiler off an early MKII Jetta GLI
                Last edited by getamongst-it; 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Working...
                X