Calling all RWD Corolla owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all RWD Corolla owners

I need a little bit of info as I'm researching some springs for a buddy who has a 1982 Corolla coupe. Basically nobody lists anything for this forgotten generation of Corolla, most list 84-87 or the older pre '80 stuff. Lots of guys run these as drag cars and don't exactly stance them. I know building ground controls is a definite option but that is only available for the front, so he just wants to do a set of springs for now.

I need the dimensions of AE86 springs front & rear to compare to what his stock springs are at. OD & length would be awesome. I'm pretty sure AE86 stuff is interchangeable but I'd like to be really sure before he spends any money.

Can anyone help me out?
    Last edited by getamongst-it; 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM.
    Lower your expectations, you'll be much happier.

Oh, and your car too.

All I could find for you

| 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

Thanks for the info, but I've looked at all sorts of coilover systems and I know people have made them work. Being that Corollas have an integrated spindle in the front, the cost of a full kit of coilovers is very high and the ones which are sub $1000 are the weld-in style inserts.

He's on a tight budget and wants to do some springs/struts for now since a set of KYBs for this car runs like $160ish and springs arent too expensive. It's just getting the right dimensions to ensure they will work so that's why I'm looking for spring measurements.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Have you checked www.rockauto.com ?
        | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

I didn't even think about that, I used to get truck parts from them, good call.

Unfortunately I just looked though and they don't list replacement springs at all.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Laaaaaaaame. I dunno then man. There are two aussie guys here with old Corollas, they may be able to chime in if they see your thread.

Comment

hopefully, thanks for your help

If not i'll just hop on some Toyota forums like Club4AG... I figured i'd just try here first

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

bump... I posted this over on club4ag.com too

anyone?

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

I'm 99% sure they're interchangable but maybe do a search at Hatchiroku just to be shure

Comment

so far this has been the most useful piece of information that I've found.

http://home.insightbb.com/~jmengel4/auto_shocks.html

What i'm getting from this is although the springs are slightly smaller in the front, it would be ok to run them.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Which chassis code is your friends coupe? If it's a TE, then most AE86 suspension parts will fit onto it. Let us know so we could help you. Photos of his suspension will help as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fatphos View Post
                        Which chassis code is your friends coupe? If it's a TE, then most AE86 suspension parts will fit onto it. Let us know so we could help you. Photos of his suspension will help as well.
                        Its a 1982 coupe so its a KE70.

I would've already chopped the springs, lmao.

Comment

AE86 parts are extremely hard to come by in the New England area. what he wants to avoid is doing the whole knuckle/brake/strut swap (which I know is possible from my research and allows you to run AE86 aftermarket parts directly)

I believe it's a KE70 as I think the "TE" referred to the "liftback" of the same year

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

So a tight budget and shitty location to source AE86 parts, that sucks man.

Comment

yeah definitely it's difficult being that this car is a bit of an abortion/forgotten model corolla. eventually i'll build a set of ground controls for him for the front, but for now he just needs a little budget drop for it to be acceptable and throw some wheels on. especially since all the stock struts are totally blown haha.

here's what I've got so far:

-AE86 front strut inserts are a hair shorter and will work. there's a number of other inserts such as Audi 80/90 that will fit the tube as well that vary in length, or we can get the stock KE70 inserts.

-for rear shocks 88-02 camaro are the same eyelet on the bottom and post on the top configuration and are also 1" shorter and stiffer making them good to run with a spring setup. E30 rear shocks could also be used but they require a different diameter bushing on the bottom. nice & cheap for a set of KYBs from Summit Racing.

-rear springs for an AE86 are slightly smaller in diameter as well and can be used OK
                              5.25" OD (KE70) vs 4.723" (AE86)

-you can fab brackets to drop the front of your lower rear links 1-2" to giver you better traction and fight wheel hop.

-front springs for the AE86 are a little smaller in diameter but sit fine for use with a stock KE70 strut setup.
                              " I am not sure if the spring rates are the same between the models, but if you want to use aftermarket front springs designed for an AE86 (Eibach, Intrax, TRD, etc) in an TE72 then you will need the spring hat from the AE86 strut assembly."
                              (this is the part i'm most concerned with confirming)

-you can use AE86 pillowball mounts/camber plates, you just have to drill the strut tower another hole (since it's a little further out of a triangle pattern) see B & C in diagram. or they make billet camber plates where you drill your own holes to spec.
                              Last edited by getamongst-it; 04-14-2012, 08:48 AM.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Working...
                              X