E30 Coilover options for budget ballin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticksdaman View Post
    The setup listed above is the most cost effective way to go low on an e30 and maintain shock travel/ride quality.
    Bilstein sports at their stock height, with the addition of GC camber plates are enough to get you plenty low, with or without cut/welded struts. the plates allow the car to sit lower without losing any suspension travel. Should you choose to eliminate the additional suspension travel by lowereing it even more then, yes you would need to invest in more costly modifications (shorter billies or konis). As stated earlier, this is the most cost effective way to go low. Light years better than the shit cosmo setup or some 60 dollar ebay civic setup. If you're going to do it, do it RIGHT, or dont do it at all.

Comment

cosmos springs are ok, but its their adjusters that you save and use gc springs.

Comment

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
        cosmos springs are ok, but its their adjusters that you save and use gc springs.
        or adapt to the tanabe ones I mentioned earlier.

That is my plan... since GC won't sell you their kit w/o their springs.

- I know a great AST dealer, ask me about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticksdaman View Post
          Billy sports
          GC conversion
          GC plates
          Done

At the risk of sounding like a douche... You've got to pay to play. Suspension is one of the if not THE MOST important components of a vehicle. Why would you cheap out on it?
          The setup listed above is the most cost effective way to go low on an e30 and maintain shock travel/ride quality.

Don't be a cheap ass, you will only waste time and money/compromise your safety and those around you. As simple as it sounds, if you cant afford it .... DONT DO IT. If you cannot afford to modify your car properly with quality tested parts, save up until you can or just don't do it. Coilovers aren't essential to making your car function so spend your money on maintenance and other odds and ends before you try and half ass a cheap suspension setup because you want to fit in and look cool.

/rant
          I agree with you on doing it right, but billy sports are far from right for anyone that is actually low. A stock length shock will have ZERO travel if you are low.

I know this for a fact, by experience of course . Kyb's slammed have no travel, need something a good 3 inches or more shorter. Tucking 195/50R15's hard up front:

Comment

just a heads up, in know a set of springs that go for under 300 that drop 60mm/40mm.

thats as far as i would go, and thats enough to tuck stuff.

Comment

^ If you read along the issue is having proper dampening the lower you go. Lots of e30 springs go pretty low (apex for example).

My e30 was never low enough to have these issues

I like em dropped.

Comment

So what was the verdict on the shock set-up? Konis?

Comment

yes koni's. but mage sure they are the g60 rado koni's, as they have the shorter stroke fo a slammed car. to run these you need in-stut centering rings, which i believe are available for purchase from gc.

Comment

so are these the same ones available from GC? Is there another option you guys use to purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
                      just a heads up, in know a set of springs that go for under 300 that drop 60mm/40mm.

thats as far as i would go, and thats enough to tuck stuff.
                      No its not at all. I have 75/50's and they barely tuck in the back, no way in the front.

edit: my sig is the 75/50's on an early model for comparisons

Comment

i have a late model. and with the spring rate at 200/285 on a 325i, its enough. i'll post pics when it comes in.

Comment

I just put GC's on my e30 and jesus i love them...cut down the strut tubes and welded them back up. i paid 1525 shipped to my front door with every single piece i need even M3 sway bar tabs and directions for shortening the tubes....heres the setup and yes they come with camber plates, heres the kit...i'll take pics tomorrow of my e30 so you can see where it is sitting at 1/2 way point.

Comment

Do you have to use g60 rado koni's for a shorter strut? Or can you use g60 rado bilsteins? Just wondering if there are cheaper options because I know g60 rado Koni's are expensive.

Cheapest websites for them?

Comment

You can use g60 bilsteins. Id call GC about them, you need a weird gland nut.

On a related note, my coils came in today.

Flickr

Comment

well to be honest....these konis came with my setup and im not 100% sure which they are, however i do know they are very short. Heres a pic after installed still waiting for the springs to settle....rears all the way down fronts half way between top n bottom...this is what i got.

Like i said springs arent compltely settled and only half way down!!

Theres some light between the exhaust n pavement.....

Comment

Working...
                                X