mounting strut bag to coilover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mounting strut bag to coilover?

I've seen this method used on another forum.

DSC03281 by DruMurda, on Flickr

Do you think i'll encounter any problems if i chose to use this method?

DSC02796 by DruMurda, on Flickr

I haven't seen this method before but I thought about it for a while and it seems like it would work out alright. At first I was worried that since there is no lock ring on the collar, the bag would be able to spin which in turn would raise/ lower it's position on the coil over but there's virtually no way the bag will be able to do a full rotation unless you have a ton of air line slack. With that said the bag height wouldn't end up changing by a noticeable amount if it were to spin so it seems like this method will work.

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

So is the piston rod of the strut suppose to fit inside the hole of the upper mounting plate like the pic above? Seems like the diameter of the rod on my Megan coilovers are too big to fit into the hole. I'm guess i can bring the top plate to my local machine shop and have them bore it out. Does it need to be a snug fit, or would i need like 1mm to 2mm of allowance?

Comment

what we do is this its the best method but its not the cheapest either....but we like to do things the right way the first time around

http://www.facebook.com/parkhard

www.hardparkergarage.com

Comment

yeah, for some reason my bottom plate had a ID of only 2". I ended up bringing it to my buddies machine shop and had it bore'd out to the appropriate size and threaded to screw on the megan coilover body. Now the top plate wont slide over the shock piston rod, I need to get that bore'd out as well, just need to know if it should be a snug fit over the rod, or does it need 1-2mm of allowance?

Comment

Originally posted by ST33zn View Post
            yeah, for some reason my bottom plate had a ID of only 2". I ended up bringing it to my buddies machine shop and had it bore'd out to the appropriate size and threaded to screw on the megan coilover body. Now the top plate wont slide over the shock piston rod, I need to get that bore'd out as well, just need to know if it should be a snug fit over the rod, or does it need 1-2mm of allowance?
            It really doesn't matter for the top plate but it's best to make the hole large enough so you can easily slide the plate over it. You don't want it so tight that you really have to press the plate onto the rod or anything like that. Hope it helps!

Comment

^Thanks bud, that's all I needed to know. Thanks for all the help BTW. You've answered a bunch of my questions a few months back.

Comment

Sure thing!

Comment

Since we're on the topic of bag-over-coils, what does the inside of the bag look like? Is there another bag inside that folds outward?

I haven't messed with this setup yet, and I'm trying to get my head around how it holds air while remaining rigid and allowing a regular strut to move inside.

Comment

So how does it move on the metal cylinder? Does the cylinder stay in place and the bag just slides down over it?

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                      Since we're on the topic of bag-over-coils, what does the inside of the bag look like? Is there another bag inside that folds outward?

I haven't messed with this setup yet, and I'm trying to get my head around how it holds air while remaining rigid and allowing a regular strut to move inside.
                      its a doughnut shape. the bag literally goes up and down and only folds on itself on the outside. inside is a metal cylinder where the strut passes in between. the metal limits how far the bag can collapse. thats why i didnt use these for my set up...because they wouldn't collapse far down enough from where they were mounted.
                      Originally posted by Kielan
                      I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

This is a view from the top

And a view from the bottom

Comment

Interdasting.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
                            its a doughnut shape. the bag literally goes up and down and only folds on itself on the outside. inside is a metal cylinder where the strut passes in between. the metal limits how far the bag can collapse. thats why i didnt use these for my set up...because they wouldn't collapse far down enough from where they were mounted.
                            But if you run these bags with coilovers, you can set your perch to 4" below the top of your strut body and you can hit the bottom of you suspension stroke when you airout. Only down side is you only get 5" on suspension travel.

Comment

Originally posted by ST33zn View Post
                              But if you run these bags with coilovers, you can set your perch to 4" below the top of your strut body and you can hit the bottom of you suspension stroke when you airout. Only down side is you only get 5" on suspension travel.
                              That is a possibility, but you have to make sure that the bag which is 5.875" in diameter clears the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X