OZ Vega Refurb PIC HEAVY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OZ Vega Refurb PIC HEAVY!

Hey guys, well basically i had these set of 5x120 16x7.5 OZ Vegas around. To me they just looked sad in the shape they were in, and i saw the potential sitting there. The weather was cooling off a bit, and a randomly found some motivation haha so here we go!

First off you need these sockets, i found them on ebay and was from the only seller in the US, others were in europe. They came in 2 Days! They are 10 Point 8mm/10mm Sockets Cost me $40 shipped

Heres what we are starting with, a bleh set of wheels. Lips needed sanding Badd! what you see is actually not the clearcoat its some weird reaction thats happening on the metal, it will take some elbow grease to get it completely off.

Next start splitting the wheels, i would recommend a drill like you see pictured, i had to split 2 by just using wrenches and it was a back breaker. i begged my friend to lend me his drill and glad i used it, took 5 minutes per wheel. Just be careful and place the bit on correctly, you dont want to strip the bolt. I didn't have any problems.

Put your bolts in pure vinegar for a night or two, it will strip the clearcoat/paint aswell as clean the tarnish on the metal.

The good thing about these wheels, yes they are 3 piece, but you don't have to take off the lip to get the face off! Simply take a rubber mallet and Liberally beat the shit out of the face until it drops haha

I did use paint stripper on the lips but there is only a thin layer of clearcoat.
    Now lets start sanding!
    I started off with a 320 grit only because i needed to cut through that bad spiderweb looking decay (what you see is after paint stripper so that's not clearcoat)

after some sanding

320 whole lip

1500-2000

Finally 3000

Then i just went over the surface 1 time with Mothers Polish (Not final Polish, final polish should be gone over the surface around 10-12 times)

Next thing i did was Prep the inner gnarly nasty dirty barrel with a 500 grit on my drill

Then painted Black with Rustoleum Black protectant (Make sure to tape off the holes where the face goes, you want a metal to metal contact there)

Prepping the face again with 500 grit ( i also used 400 to get in the spokes of the face by hand)

Tape up around the holes, Again Very important part!

Primered the face, some people say use lighter color primer if you are paint a lighter color paint so it does not show through, but once i was done i could not see the primer through, also it helped me see what areas i missed that needed more paint!

Laying down the White!!!

Final Coat looking good!

When its time to put down the clear coat i would highly recommend this clear coat, NO YELLOWING! unlike Duplicolor which i used to use... never again. This stuff is amazing!

Next is the bolts, once you take them out of the vinegar rinse them off with water, and hand clean them with a paper towel. For painting you want to make sure none of the paint gets inside of the threads so i drilled a small piece of cardboard (30 Holes)

so you have this! now you can paint without worrying about getting paint in the threads

First i Primed them, then went with a nice black

Things are starting to look good!

Reverse mount anyone?

Now carefully align the face from behind and make sure the bolts lign up. Once you place the face in from behind begin to persuade it into place with a rubber mallet

Place your bolts in

i hand tightened all the bolts.

Next comes torquing them down. Start in a + Pattern then go to a star pattern. since i used old bolts i went with 22lbs of torque.
    Watch this video for a DIY [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FqNluXsY4"]Refinishing 3 Piece Wheels - Assembly - YouTube[/ame]

Below ill include some pictures of them assembled,
    NOTE: Ill be done with them around tuesday, need to put Mothers Polish on the lips 10-12 more times to get that mirror polish! ill update it then!
    604Wheels
    BMW E36 M3 4Door 5Speed
    Instagram: Tommy604604

Oh and here's my other set

604Wheels
    BMW E36 M3 4Door 5Speed

Comment

Thanks for taking the time with the write up, looks great

Comment

those look great. personally i would have sprayed the barrels themselves black ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Dane083 View Post
          Thanks for taking the time with the write up, looks great
          No Problem! Thank you very much!

Originally posted by aeok18109 View Post
          those look great. personally i would have sprayed the barrels themselves black ^_^
          Thanks! The outers of the barrel? yeah i should have, but since i didn't have to separate it from the lip it might have been a bit more challenging/Masking off.
          604Wheels
          BMW E36 M3 4Door 5Speed

Comment

They are done!

604Wheels
            BMW E36 M3 4Door 5Speed

Comment

nice work

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Great job!

•Tapatalk•

Comment

Sexy!

Great job and pics
                  slamburglars.com

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Wow I'm an idiot, I rebuilding a set of Oz fittistars right now and I just spent like 5 hours getting all the silicone sealant off the lips and barrels for when I lay down new sealant. and this whole time I could have just left it there.

Nice job though.

Comment

Great write up! You mind sharing the ebay seller of those 10 point sockets? TIA!

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeek View Post
                          nice work
                          Originally posted by zebra View Post
                          Great job!

•Tapatalk•
                          Originally posted by G535 View Post
                          Sexy!

Great job and pics
                          Originally posted by electricalbox View Post
                          Nice job!
                          Much Appreciated!! Thanks everyone!!!!

Originally posted by skiierman View Post
                          Wow I'm an idiot, I rebuilding a set of Oz fittistars right now and I just spent like 5 hours getting all the silicone sealant off the lips and barrels for when I lay down new sealant. and this whole time I could have just left it there.

Nice job though.
                          haha, yep i did the same thing on one of these, and felt like an idiot when i hit the face and it fell off. Had to reseal it :/
                          604Wheels
                          BMW E36 M3 4Door 5Speed

Comment

Originally posted by benztech04 View Post
                            Great write up! You mind sharing the ebay seller of those 10 point sockets? TIA!
                            Sure! Heres the listing
                            604Wheels
                            BMW E36 M3 4Door 5Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy604604 View Post
                              Same place I got mine from, they are good. Gonna rebuild some pegasus wheels with them soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X