How to widen 2pc wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to widen 2pc wheels?

Okay so I just got a set of style 5s for dirt cheap and I was looking into making them wider, what would I have to do to make them wider? Just cut the wheel barrel in 2pc's and weld a band around it ? Also how would that affect the offsets ? Thank you in advance for the advice!
    EURO.TECHNIKS | BAGGED E46

Instagram: @_victorg

I'm not sure if widening them by cutting them in half and welding metal between them is a safe idea. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've heard. If you were to do that, it would just raise the offset of the wheels. If you were really desperate, you could attempt to cut the faces cut off, them modify them into a 3 piece wheel with new barrels.

Originally posted by TRaNz
    yeee, coz RainbowDash is the bestest. its fun combing its hair and tail isnt it? =P
    Originally posted by TRaNz
    They had an Accord Euro meet.....had to show face and you know.....win some respect....and gain exp points to unlock a new sector along with tier 3 vinyl and decals. =D

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Von Smack View Post
      I'm not sure if widening them by cutting them in half and welding metal between them is a safe idea. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've heard. If you were to do that, it would just raise the offset of the wheels. If you were really desperate, you could attempt to cut the faces cut off, them modify them into a 3 piece wheel with new barrels.
      I've seen one guy "whosshaunquill" on here that has widen his wheels by this method and haven't seen anything bad, but Im not completely sold on it lol and that 3pc conversion would cost too much money I'm assuming so that's why I asked about the band method. It seems cheaper and simpler to do.

Comment

Widening a wheel by banding is usually done for steel wheels and single piece aluminum wheels but with multi piece wheels there are too many stresses involved in order to do it safely IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by martinm13 View Post
          Widening a wheel by banding is usually done for steel wheels and single piece aluminum wheels but with multi piece wheels there are too many stresses involved in order to do it safely IMO.
          Mammon okay I see what your saying.

Comment

I remember when I had my style 42s, I was on trying to do that too. In the end I decided to buy some spacers and kept the negative camber to a minimum. I found that I had the grip and a pretty tight stance. Those wheels were meant to be 17X8, I feel.

Comment

Lookup a place called Weld craft wheels.
              They're known for widening wheels, and I know a guy who widened his Style 5's this way. Much less expensive than a 3-piece set up.
              However, when you add a band to the barrel, you raise the offset of the wheel depending on the width you widen it to.
              Originally posted by electricalbox
              12 inches of goodness!

Comment

Yeah I've seen them and heard good things! I'm going to try and see if a local wheel shop can do it ! I'm assuming my offsets would be up in the 50s lol

Comment

You can widen the lip side as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Francois Dillinger View Post
                    You can widen the lip side as well.
                    How would that work exactly ?

Comment

Just the same except you have to make it look pretty. The company that makes adaptech adapters said they can do it and have them fully polished after.

Comment

Originally posted by e46cruiser View Post
                        How would that work exactly ?
                        Depending on how they are made in the 1st place but I will use my SSR Mesh wheels as an example

They are constructed by welding a rear barrel to the outer lip all the way around and then the face sits down inside the outer lip and bolts on.... hence 2 piece.

Well, put that wheel on a lathe, separate the rear barrel from the outer lip..... order new lips to size and re-weld back together and re-assemble. Boom.

Looks like so:

Real name is James

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^Nice and good example, OP check out this thread, it should be relevant to your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by KarlSpackler View Post
                            Depending on how they are made in the 1st place but I will use my SSR Mesh wheels as an example

They are constructed by welding a rear barrel to the outer lip all the way around and then the face sits down inside the outer lip and bolts on.... hence 2 piece.

Well, put that wheel on a lathe, separate the rear barrel from the outer lip..... order new lips to size and re-weld back together and re-assemble. Boom.

Looks like so:

I think I understand what your saying but I'm not exactly sure lol could you please explain "better" haha sorry I just didn't completely grasp the concept of this!

Comment

Originally posted by KarlSpackler View Post

Looks like so:

I think I understand what your saying but I'm not exactly sure lol could you please explain "better" haha sorry I just didn't completely grasp the concept of this!

Comment

Working...
                              X