No announcement yet.

The BBS RC 090/BMW Style 5 wheels thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ So where thos originally a 2 piece converted to 3 piece?

And in regards to the reverse mounted faces: Wouldnt the face have to have the back edge (new mounting side) machined to have that same round edge the original mounting side had in order to seat properly?
    Last edited by stagen; 01-21-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stagen View Post
      ^ So where thos originally a 2 piece converted to 3 piece?
      no

"Everything has potential."

Comment

• Well then you must of just grabbed the pictures off the net because the top ones are style 5s the bottom ones are bbs rs.

Comment

• The bottom ones are Style 5's with custom stepped lip as stated in the post.

Comment

• Looks amazing man, i was looking to do something like this with my wheels next year, convert to a 3 piece. more information pretty please!!!

Comment

^ So where thos originally a 2 piece converted to 3 piece?
              Yes

Originally posted by roof_rack View Post
              Looks amazing man, i was looking to do something like this with my wheels next year, convert to a 3 piece. more information pretty please!!!
              Those are originally standard 2 piece bbs rc 090 from e39. I splitted barrels to be mounted as inner lips and inside of the center piece is machined to fit them perfectly (pic 1 & pic 2). Then i just needed custom made outer lips from germany and conversion to 3 piece was ready. Sounds easy but it took over half year to complete (mostly waiting those custom lips).

Comment

• I couldnt help but snoop around to see more pics of your conversion, and I found this!

So you were able to do most of the work your self with out a machine shop? It looks like cutting the back of the center piece and making sure the mounting surface on the back lip is flat is the only machining needed.
                Care to share where you had the lips made and roughly the cost for them and machining?

Comment

So you were able to do most of the work your self with out a machine shop? It looks like cutting the back of the center piece and making sure the mounting surface on the back lip is flat is the only machining needed.
                  Care to share where you had the lips made and roughly the cost for them and machining?
                  Yes you can do the splitting by yourself because the mounting surface is left intact in process but the center piece's mounting surface has to be machined. I don't know how much the machining costs because my friend made it to me. Outer lips cost ~200€/piece and they can be made in any shop which make them by your measures.

Comment

• Do you happen to have the measurements you sent for your new lips? I want to double check that I have the correct dimensions needed. Or if you'd rather, I can PM you for more details.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dubmd View Post

Love the blue!

Comment

• Could you not just cut them like that and buy 34 bolt RS lips and have the faces machined for them..?

Comment

• Originally posted by iwannabeam3 View Post
                          If it fits without major body work let me know. I want to do the same thing
                          I dont see this happening easily...

I know its not a style 5, but its the same thing, different face.

Comment

• Originally posted by Devo View Post
                            as for different styles:

e38 basket weave caps fit
                            e34 mesh caps fit (what i have)
                            e36 15'' mesh wheel caps fit
                            probly many more but all these are plastic

as for rs bolts, ive heard people use them and others say they are not safe to run on style 5's. Theres a small difference in them, style 5 bolts are splined and rs' arent iirc...couldnt swear to it tho. Black forest industries carries them in all finishes for like 1$ a bolt
                            Devo,
                            Thanks for the information on this - do the E34 caps sit flush like the stock caps? And do you have the part number for the caps you run?
                            Many Thanks In Advance,
                            Jeff

Comment

• seeing them reverse mounted.... looks sketchy as hell

Comment

• silliest thread on S/W

Comment

Working...
                                X