2013 5.0. thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    its all about what you want really. personally i find it comical when someone(not meant to jab at anyone)will spend 3-4k in wheels and then run $200 worth of tires on them. think of me as the opposite, ill use wheels as a budgeting tool to allow me to wrap them in quality rubber.
    Okay... fine, but then that's a different argument entirely. I applaud your decision to run decent tires on your ride, but you're setting up a false dichotomy between $3-$4k wheels and knock-offs. I roll legit, and my wheels were $1000. I suspect your knockoffs were somewhere in the same neighborhood.

Originally posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    I've had this convo weekly with my brother a wheel lover. its about what you value for your car. my lowly Zedds are JLT cert just like every other cast wheel from insert manufacture here. my cast SL5s are no better or worse than any cast rotiform wheel.
    VIA and TÜV certification are the real markers here, not JWL. JWL is self-applied by the manufacturer and can be almost meaningless, whereas VIA and TÜV are independent testing houses.

Also, with all due respect to Rotiform, with how often I see their cast wheels for sale on the used market with cracks or welded repairs, that is not something I would be using as a marker of durability on a vehicle that is being built to survive the rigors of track use.

All I want is for people who buy cheap knockoffs to be honest about the impetus behind the decision, rather than rationalizing it post-hoc and then jumping from one thin rationalization to another when holes are poked in each in turn. We're here to share process, theory, and philosophy of design, to critique, debate, and learn, and that is only successful if we're open and honest about where we're coming from.
    Last edited by Oh Damn, it's Sam; 06-10-2015, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
      We're here to share process, theory, and philosophy of design, to critique, debate, and learn, and that is only successful if we're open and honest about where we're coming from.
      Damn bro. Thats deep.

Seriously, this is so true.
      Instagram: yobrandonnn

Comment

. We're here to share process, theory, and philosophy of design, to critique, debate, and learn, and that is only successful if we're open and honest about where we're coming from.
        You're 110% right , I do apologize for the outbursts .
        Instagram - Bavarian_Steel
        My E28 Build

Comment

Okay... fine, but then that's a different argument entirely. I applaud your decision to run decent tires on your ride, but you're setting up a false dichotomy between $3-$4k wheels and knock-offs. I roll legit, and my wheels were $1000. I suspect your knockoffs were somewhere in the same neighborhood.

VIA and TÜV certification are the real markers here, not JWL. JWL is self-applied by the manufacturer and can be almost meaningless, whereas VIA and TÜV are independent testing houses.

Also, with all due respect to Rotiform, with how often I see their cast wheels for sale on the used market with cracks or welded repairs, that is not something I would be using as a marker of durability on a vehicle that is being built to survive the rigors of track use.

All I want is for people who buy cheap knockoffs to be honest about the impetus behind the decision, rather than rationalizing it post-hoc and then jumping from one thin rationalization to another when holes are poked in each in turn. We're here to share process, theory, and philosophy of design, to critique, debate, and learn, and that is only successful if we're open and honest about where we're coming from.

Good post.

13 5.BRO. 425whp/401wtq.

Comment

Group hug? JK! I like the way you fellas handled this. All sides had some valid points. Good to see some resolve............
            sigpic

Comment

i think the passion that drives us, can get mis-directed at times.

its important to me to keep true enthusiasts alive, not the ones the ruined SOWO which seem to be so prevalent nowadays.

13 5.BRO. 425whp/401wtq.

Comment

Originally posted by BMW BRAD View Post
                Group hug? JK! I like the way you fellas handled this. All sides had some valid points. Good to see some resolve............
                lol that's what happens when you get a group of dudes together. Unlike females though we squash that shit and return to normal after the testosterone goes down.
                Instagram: yobrandonnn

Comment

Working...
                X