No announcement yet.

e30 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait too see this, hopefully in person when its done.
    Remember hearing about you wanting to do this a while back glad to see its coming together.

Comment

Loving this. But fek working on a car in that weather!

Looks like you have a 'moon roof' glass sunroof in your E30; very rare over here in the UK so you could always ship it over here to make a few pennies for your build

Comment

cool build , that a common swap over there ?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisVRsix View Post
          Can't wait too see this, hopefully in person when its done.
          Remember hearing about you wanting to do this a while back glad to see its coming together.

I'm sure you'll see it around

Originally posted by aj_mckay View Post
          Loving this. But fek working on a car in that weather!

Looks like you have a 'moon roof' glass sunroof in your E30; very rare over here in the UK so you could always ship it over here to make a few pennies for your build
          Haha, yeah the weather is not very encouraging, but I need to make progress so I gotta suck it up. No moon roof, just a black panel, wish it was though.

Originally posted by n_const View Post
          cool build , that a common swap over there ?
          Thanks, there was one other e30 with an sr20, but that car has since been stripped and sold as a bare shell, I don't know of any other sr20 e30's in Canada, I have seen a few from other places in the world though.

Comment

Bit of an update:

Took some pics of some of the parts i've gathered:

Mines tuned ecu

Mishimoto intercooler

4 cyl e30 radiater with overflow

3 inch test pipe with 3 inch megan catback

Ghetto boost gauge that came with the car, will get a better one later

New plugs

heatercore to fix my broken one

some eibach race springs for when I build up some proper suspension

and the motor is ready to come out wiring/hoses wise

Tomorrow after work I'll pull the downpipe, unbolt and trans and motor mounts and yank it out, after that I'm gunna pull the cluster, brake booster and master and scrap the car. If there's enough time I'll stick the motor into the e30, and then saturday on to wiring/plumbing/mockup. With any luck me and my friends get the wiring and fuel sorted enough to get it running, then I'll begin to mock up the motor mounts so I can make them at work next week. It will also give me a chance to firgure out what couplers and clamps I need so I can place an order for those and the electric fan and new BOV i'll need.

Comment

Good stuff man
              Christof Goulart
              FCGoulartDesign.

Comment

Well, a good bit of progress so far this weekend, and got lucky with some good help, beers, and some good pictures finally.

I got the sr out of the doner car, and booted that car outside. So it was time to put the sr into the e30 for the first time.

After much trying, we realised the transmission was far to long, and considering we couldn't get more angle with the engine leveler due to serious lack of safe lifting points on the sr, we improvised.

Elevate the rear of the car, to bring the rad support down, while still leaving room for the tranny to snake under the tunnel.

and the result

quick shot of the little snail and some interference issues.

and a bit of representing

Comment

nice progress this is gonna be fresh, and different from the m50 swap everyone does
                  IMG_20140729_210811 by MGRAND3, on Flickr

My build thread.http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33607
                  Instagram: MGRAND3

Comment

Originally posted by bostongrnM3 View Post
                    nice progress this is gonna be fresh, and different from the m50 swap everyone does
                    Thanks man, I'm sure it will shock some people when I pop the hood

Bit of an update:

Picked up the driveshaft and the custom power steering hose needed, next is mocking up engine mounts and making the wire harness.

Comment

A redtop in an E30? Props for uniqueness, man.

Comment

Sooo siick!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
                          Thanks, there was one other e30 with an sr20, but that car has since been stripped and sold as a bare shell, I don't know of any other sr20 e30's in Canada, I have seen a few from other places in the world though.
                          Sorta weird Ryan only had that car out for a year then took it apart.

Can't wait to see it done.

I like em dropped.

Comment

SR20? Why is that a common build? They're only like 140-170 HP I thought. Not HUGE gains over an M42. (considering for the money you could have a rebuilt turbo M42...)

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
                              SR20? Why is that a common build? They're only like 140-170 HP I thought. Not HUGE gains over an M42. (considering for the money you could have a rebuilt turbo M42...)
                              I wouldn't call it a common build, from all the searching I've done I've only found two lhd e30's with the swap, and two rhd with the swap. Both of the lhd e30's no longer have the sr20 in them.

Stock power is 205hp/202tq. also why would I put an m42 when my car was originaly an m20?

As far as building a reliable turbo m42 for the same money, I highly doubt that. So far I have 1700.00 in my swap, and it will make 230whp reliably on a stock ecu with just a boost controller. If you were to build an m42 turbo your mesing with stand alone tuning etc. That doesn't seem reliable to me.

Comment

Respect!

for having the balls to do the swap.. Good luck, subscribed.

Not a big FI fan, but sr20 motors are hard as nails, so I gotta give you that.
                                How long before those HP numbers you quoted start climbing?

Comment

Working...
                                X