No announcement yet.

My slow Widebody B6 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you just making your own lip spoiler style?
    E53 4.4 Sterling Gray Metallic
    E36 M3 Mugello rot
    GEN2 TUNDRA CM
    https://instagram.com/carlmichaeljohnson/

Comment

• Originally posted by e36cruiser View Post
      nice project man! interested in your spoiler diy... wouldnt mind doing a csl style trunk and a roof spoiler on my M
      Here is one build I've seen http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=3526

I am on way to many friggen forums...

How are you going to handle the different expansion rates of metal and fg? I heard it always ends up cracking eventually.

I like em dropped.

Comment

• Looks good bro.
        -Jay

Comment

• Originally posted by e36cruiser View Post
          are you just making your own lip spoiler style?
          Originally posted by Dave_The_BMXER View Post
          Here is one build I've seen http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=3526

I am on way to many friggen forums...

How are you going to handle the different expansion rates of metal and fg? I heard it always ends up cracking eventually.
          there will be no expansion. you will get cracking if you try to repair metal with FG. the metal i welded is not moving. welded the end pieces as well as a piece inbetween each slit.

im not worried about it. my car will probably see 5 days a month of driving.

Widebody B6 build

HIT ME UP if you need Ksport supplies. i can get them to you cheaper than anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay Z. View Post
            Looks good bro.
            thanks man! how you like your TL? me and my dad are picking up a TSX this week. thats gonna be my new daily driver

Widebody B6 build

HIT ME UP if you need Ksport supplies. i can get them to you cheaper than anyone.

Comment

• he is talking about metal and fiber glass expand and contract at a different rate. Each heat and cool at a different rate and hence why he was wondering. Did you fill each pie cut with metal and weld them in? do you have any close up pics before the fiberglass and also can you take any pictures from the underside of the fender?
              Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
                pics are sort of repetitive, but whatever

did u put fleece over the metal then resin the material??
                Ryan

Comment

• naw not totally. just basically welded small pieces of metal inbetween each slit then fiberglassed the outside and inside of the fender. i can get pics of the inside but its already fiberglassed over. biggest reason im not worried about it is because the car is getting wrapped, not painted. as long as everything holds up against the elements for a while then it will get painted eventually. and the car will see very little road time. no rubbing issues because it will be bagged.
                  Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 09-28-2009, 01:48 AM.

Widebody B6 build

Comment

• Originally posted by Flavourless View Post
                    he is talking about metal and fiber glass expand and contract at a different rate. Each heat and cool at a different rate and hence why he was wondering. Did you fill each pie cut with metal and weld them in? do you have any close up pics before the fiberglass and also can you take any pictures from the underside of the fender?
                    Ya what he said.

But if you are wrapping it and not painting it then any cracking won't really be visible so it sounds like you are gravy.

I like em dropped.

Comment

• Why is the rear fender red like the fleece or whatever material u used on the spoiler and like that material lay on the ground? If you used fleece or any kind of material besides resin amd mat go grind all that shit off and do it over with out it like the front fenders...personally I would advise you to fill all the pie cuts with metal weld them up and grind the welds down. Do a little bit of hanner and dollu work so it dosent look all jagged like it does now...it dosent matter if its going to be wrapped or not. At this point it looks like you are planning on using quiet a bit of filler to get ev everything round and snooth. You will now habe three materials expanding at different rates when it gets hot out and then will contract at different rates when cooliing down at night or parked out of the elements...hence why you want to use as mininal filler as possible which I don't see that happening right now. I would say your going to be having at least 3/8 to 1/2 of glass and filler in places and that's no bueno...it is what it is and this is just some advice so u don't have to do it over again later down the road
                      Ryan

Comment

Why is the rear fender red like the fleece or whatever material u used on the spoiler and like that material lay on the ground? If you used fleece or any kind of material besides resin amd mat go grind all that shit off and do it over with out it like the front fenders...personally I would advise you to fill all the pie cuts with metal weld them up and grind the welds down. Do a little bit of hanner and dollu work so it dosent look all jagged like it does now...it dosent matter if its going to be wrapped or not. At this point it looks like you are planning on using quiet a bit of filler to get ev everything round and snooth. You will now habe three materials expanding at different rates when it gets hot out and then will contract at different rates when cooliing down at night or parked out of the elements...hence why you want to use as mininal filler as possible which I don't see that happening right now. I would say your going to be having at least 3/8 to 1/2 of glass and filler in places and that's no bueno...it is what it is and this is just some advice so u don't have to do it over again later down the road
                        Sounds like he might know what he's talking about
                        Originally posted by da3bous
                        I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Why is the rear fender red like the fleece or whatever material u used on the spoiler and like that material lay on the ground? If you used fleece or any kind of material besides resin amd mat go grind all that shit off and do it over with out it like the front fenders...personally I would advise you to fill all the pie cuts with metal weld them up and grind the welds down. Do a little bit of hanner and dollu work so it dosent look all jagged like it does now...it dosent matter if its going to be wrapped or not. At this point it looks like you are planning on using quiet a bit of filler to get ev everything round and snooth. You will now habe three materials expanding at different rates when it gets hot out and then will contract at different rates when cooliing down at night or parked out of the elements...hence why you want to use as mininal filler as possible which I don't see that happening right now. I would say your going to be having at least 3/8 to 1/2 of glass and filler in places and that's no bueno...it is what it is and this is just some advice so u don't have to do it over again later down the road
                          naw barely any filler will need to be used. not even 1/4". i dont mind having the FG on there. ive dealt with it on my old car.

the red material was nylon and used to make a template for the other side man lol. i kept measuring and measuring and the only way to fully get it straight was to make the mold really quick and chop it up on the other side to make sure the porportions are correct. didnt want it looking all lopsided from the rear.

Widebody B6 build

Comment

• ill get back to working on the fenders when i get more supplies/money.

started pullin our my backseat to get ready for the ICE!

Widebody B6 build

Comment

• wow thats a pretty big trunk

how long do you think it'll take you to finish?
                              seems like a loooooooooooooot of work
                              bodywork + engine + ice
                              -Jason
                              http://project-a3.blogspot.com

Comment

• if i had money i could be done in a month. lol

engine will take a full day to drop in, if its already assembled outside of the car.

ice, its just wood and FG. my setup wont be difficult

my amps are going to be built into an amp rack where the back seats were (on the bottom) covered with plexi. ill prob throw some fans in there too. the subs will be facing towards the cabin. when you look in from the trunk there will just be my air tank protruding out very slightly from where the spare tire is, and a false wall where the back of the subs are. probably a piece of plexi with a team logo etched in.

all the audio will be elemental designs.

today i pulled apart the stock wiring harness for the speakers and labeled all of the speakers and audio outs. ill prob wire them up to my elemental designs ednine.2 amp sometime this week since that wont take long. unless i buy a nine.4 amp, which would be easier and more efficient. not looking for loud ass bass, just something really clean. trunk probably wont rattle at all seeing how the sub setup will be as well.

i have all the plexi.got it for free from my shop. hopefully i can go buy wood this week. some type of 1/2" wood for the amp rack and false wall/floor stuff. then make a quick box out of 3/4" mdf. once i do that then everything is cake. just a lot of measuring.
                                Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 10-12-2009, 12:02 AM.

Widebody B6 build

Comment

Working...
                                X