• DawsonLiri
    replied
    Yas, really like D90 on Mk3!

I'm gonna go with dark metal grey or black

Leave a comment:

• Benjaholic
    replied
    Originally posted by thirtynine View Post
    Liking where this is going! Looking forward to see your new wheels.
    Cheers mate, wait no longer!

Here they are!

They're all in varying degrees of being stripped, need new tyres but I can use the Proxes fitted to my Montreals which means lots of stretch

Love this shot:

I couldn't resist a mockup:

I'm undecided on what colour I want to spray them so I'm open to ideas if anybody wants to give me one? I'm kinda swaying towards gunmetal grey though...

Cheers for staying with me and being patient guys hahaha!

Leave a comment:

• thirtynine
    replied
    Liking where this is going! Looking forward to see your new wheels.

Leave a comment:

• Benjaholic
    replied
    I DID A THING!!

So, I finally bit the bullet and lowered the car, and changed the Exhaust up for a Jetex with a de-cat...

40mm on the front
    45mm on the rear

The fitment isn't great but I'm not changing it until my wheels arrive...

Oh yeah, I bought wheels, . I'm not giving anything away other than they're 8J, 16" and they're 5 x 130 fitment

Here's some pics of the current setup.

Headlights also got properly colour coded, which I think looks 10,000 x better!

Wheels are gonna be with me in 15 minutes, I'm very much excited hahahaha
    Last edited by Benjaholic; 06-28-2018, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Benjaholic
    replied
    Sooooooooo, my front spacers arrived,

15mm - Fit them the other day and also put my arches back on again, I'm getting her ready for MOT in June so after then I should be going low

Heres some pics to keep you happy XD

Spacers on.

It was after I fit the other side that I realised that my alignment and tracking was out by a colossal amount. Like, my front wheels aren't just out, they're in different postcodes

Anyways, I got worked up and decided to fit the arches on to make myself feel better hahaha

Straight outta the 90's!!

Cheers for reading peeps, love ya x

Leave a comment:

• Benjaholic
    replied
    First kinda stance update so far,

Bought some spacers to fill the horrendous arch gap,

25mm on the rears and 15mm on the fronts. The fronts have just arrived today but I fit the rears on Monday and I'm happy with the look. Theres no poke so don't get excited, but I like how it sits and I think if I wind the coilovers down for 30mm drop it should look pretty decent.

Heres some pics xoxox

All Good!

Now just waiting for a day this weekend where I can spare a few minutes to get up to the car and fit the front spacers, I've also bought replacement GTI arches so they will be going on, and new VW centre caps for the alloys (exciting eh? hahahaha). After that, next stop is a new exhaust (which my father has offered to buy me ) and then brakes and new coilovers

Stay tuned XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Last edited by Benjaholic; 05-04-2018, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Benjaholic
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaky97 View Post
    Looking good man!

If you're going for form over function (The clever, sensible idea ) I think it would only be right to smack some banging coilovers on it...

I ran KW V1's on my Polo, they're amazing. On a car like this they would be so much better suited!
    Hmmmmmm, that sure sounds tempting haha, I still kinda want to build this on a budget but I can already see myself forgetting that and pouring all of my money into it

Leave a comment:

• Deaky97
    replied
    Looking good man!

If you're going for form over function (The clever, sensible idea ) I think it would only be right to smack some banging coilovers on it...

I ran KW V1's on my Polo, they're amazing. On a car like this they would be so much better suited!

Leave a comment:

• Benjaholic
    replied
    Originally posted by Cormor View Post
    Classic but effective build !
    Morette headligths or whatever you call them fits perfectly to G3 imo
    Thanks mate, I really love the look of these over the standard headlights, they scream 90's dont they ����

Leave a comment:

• Benjaholic
    replied
    Originally posted by thirtynine View Post
    Hey man, love what you're doing with this ie sorting all the rust and keeping it on the road!

Had a 3dr Mk3 ABF myself, as well as the 8v and VR6, and it was by far my favourite engine out of the three. Handles well too, and the fact they reach 70mph in second gear is just silly (O2A 'box).

Not sure of your plans for the engine, or whether the following is even welcome, but my advice would be to remove the aftermarket (and somewhat bodged) cold air intake and feed. Don't know if you've ever looked on clubgti, but there has been some fairly extensive research and testing on the effectiveness of these over the standard air box. Long story short, you get no gains with that setup, and in some cases actually lose some grunt, not to mention the fact that induction kits are MAF sensor killers.

Absolutely fantastic cars in 16v guise, and following this with interest (as well as a hint of nostalgic fever). I fitted S3 brakes all round on mine, with custom rear axle stubs, resulting in both rear wheels sitting 10m further out both sides, which was an added bonus!

Good luck dude!
    Cheers mate, I'm glad you're enjoying it ��... I sure am haha!

It's funny you saying that about the air filter, I managed to get her out this weekend and give her a test drive on the works trade plates. I couldn't help but notice the lack of power down low and me and a couple mates agreed that I should put a standard air box back in. I'm after a new stainless system too but still undecided on what one to go for, but I think replacing that coupled with a standard air box she should run sweet as a nut! ��

Brakes wise, they definately need doing so I may look into the S3 swap and see if I can find any cheap ☺

Otherwise I absolutely loved it, got her up in the revs on a few back roads and even came across a lad in a 1995 Cavalier who put up a good fight hahaha.

I'll be sure to update this again when I can, I'm planning on getting her MOT'd by June so there'll be some more posts soon hopefully ��.

Leave a comment:

• Cormor
    replied
    Classic but effective build !
    Morette headligths or whatever you call them fits perfectly to G3 imo

Leave a comment:

• thirtynine
    replied
    Hey man, love what you're doing with this ie sorting all the rust and keeping it on the road!

Had a 3dr Mk3 ABF myself, as well as the 8v and VR6, and it was by far my favourite engine out of the three. Handles well too, and the fact they reach 70mph in second gear is just silly (O2A 'box).

Not sure of your plans for the engine, or whether the following is even welcome, but my advice would be to remove the aftermarket (and somewhat bodged) cold air intake and feed. Don't know if you've ever looked on clubgti, but there has been some fairly extensive research and testing on the effectiveness of these over the standard air box. Long story short, you get no gains with that setup, and in some cases actually lose some grunt, not to mention the fact that induction kits are MAF sensor killers.

Absolutely fantastic cars in 16v guise, and following this with interest (as well as a hint of nostalgic fever). I fitted S3 brakes all round on mine, with custom rear axle stubs, resulting in both rear wheels sitting 10m further out both sides, which was an added bonus!

Good luck dude!
    Last edited by thirtynine; 04-09-2018, 04:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Benjaholic
    replied
    UPDATES!!!!!!!

So, I haven't updated this in a while...

I had to save a bit of money so I could do a few jobs on the car, and afford a holiday away so I slowed progress down a little bit.

Heres a few updates to get you all up to speed...

TIRES:

TOYO Proxes T1-R 195/40/16 mounted on MK4 GTi BBS Montreal 16"s...

Yes, I know these alloys are a bit played out on MK3's but I'm gonna run them for this summer and then find something else after winter, plus, they came on the car so they were a good option to stay with...

I'm not big into the whole stretch thing, I like the look of these because they have a nice straight edge, I'm more of a function over form kinda person.

Fronts mounted...

Next came the rears, I also tackled the horrible job of finally re-attactching the sill trim :/ (What a task!)

I had a little photoshoot today, I'll let the photos do the speaking, she needs a clean, and definitely some wheel spacers to sort out the fact that the wheels look lost in the arches. She'll be going lower in the near future though so that'll help.

That's all for now folks
    Last edited by Benjaholic; 04-05-2018, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Benjaholic
    replied
    Not really much in the way of updates, as I'm waiting til payday to buy tires, but I put some gas struts on my bonnet just to keep myself occupied in the meantime .

Much cleaner.

Leave a comment:

• Benjaholic
    replied
    So, I finally got round to fitting all these parts to my car .

Had a good afternoon yesterday taking the bumper off and fitting my splitter, fitting my headlights and then doing my side repeaters too.

I'll let the photos do the speaking though

Firstly, I started off by laying out the new bits and taking a before photo (as you do haha). I took my grille off beforehand. I need to buy a new grille at a later date as most of the retainer clips are broken and it pretty much came off when I touched it hahaha.

Next, I took the bumper off and fitted the VR6 Splitter. Again, I need to order a new set of bolts and screws for the bumper as most of them are missing... I think that this is a VAST improvement on the original though.

Then it was time to tackle the headlights. Yes! you guessed it! I need to order some new screws for these too as there should be four holding each of them in place but I only had two of them for each headlight. The joys of old project car ownership eh? hahaha That being said though, for the time being they're in nice and solid. I was really happy with these as they just plugged in and worked straight away. BONUS!

Nice one of me dressed like a power chav.

Headlight out...

Me posing with my car

And then, the finished product. I fitted my number plate and then called it a day.

I absolutely love that last photo, I just wish I could clean the car, unfortunately I have no access to water or power where I am and I can't take it anywhere to wash it as it's not road legal... Hey ho. I'm off on holiday to wales next month so I'm watching my pennies but I'll hopefully be getting a set of tyres to go on after that. I'm thinking of some 195/45 R16 Toyo Proxes. Should look fairly sleek.

Ciao.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X