Bmw e30 m3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bmw e30 m3

I've always loved BMW race cars of the 70's and 80's and late in 2013 I found a red 1990 car for sale in Ireland. It had a stripped interior, roll cage and race seats. It also had uprated suspension, ARB's and a caron fibre airbox. A couple of calls later and I booked my flight from Heathrow. A quick flight, 30 miles in a hire car and I was there. I knew pretty much instantly that I wanted it.

Thanks to the seller being so patient and my partner helping me out, after about 6 months I was able to fly back and collect the M3.

Within a few weeks I had made a few mods. The first of which was a Mishimoto alloy rad.

After UK registration, I racked up a few miles using the M3 regularly. I also opted to change the look and fit Compomotive TH alloys. I also made sure everything was in top order mechanically.

I had to replace the Bonrath wiper. I know it's not to everyones taste, but I love the single wiper look.

I also put a few track miles in. I absolutely love driving the M3 on track. It is incredible that a saloon car can handle the way the M3 does.

As time went on I worked hard to repair any small rust issues that I found. Overall it's a really solid car but all BMW of the era usually have some rust.

A wash and wax would still have it looking good though.

I set the geometry to try and optimise the handling and minimise excessive wear of the Toyo r888's I usually run.

I also opted to replace the cage strengthening plates and repair the footwell. There's no point fitting a cage unless it's properly installed.

It looked great once finished and the carbon fibre splitter and gurney were rubbed down and sprayed in clear coat.

I also had the dash flocked.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I was rear ended whilst stationary and hit into the car ahead. Damage wasn't heavy, although the boot floor did need to be pulled straight by a jig. I also had to find a replacement rear panel. As new panels are NLA I managed to source an excellent used one.

So from Monday we start work preparing for paint. I'm also going to make a few changes, such as fitting BBS E50's and replacing the black leather Recaro interior. Anyway, I'll post some more photos once the prep work is underway.

My current ride is the V8 M3 but I'd much rather be in my E30.

Last edited by e21mark; 04-17-2015, 04:54 PM.

win. i love this car. the e30 i mean of course.

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

Dang. This is so good.
      IG: ossiep

Comment

Nice collection of cars! Can tell this is going to be great, sub'd!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

You da man

Comment

Nice work on the floor and repaint, My #1 fear is some idiot ruining my car after ive finished it... Good luck with resto, and good wheel choice!

Comment

Oh man this is awesome!
              This is my signature

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

When I bought the M3, although I was happy enough with the condition, it came with little or no service history. It was clear someone had spent quite a lot on upgrades but other than that, I knew very little. I knew the name of one of the previous owners in Ireland though and thanks to getting a bit Columbo on the internet, I was eventually able to find a landline number and make a call, which connected me with his mother. Unfortunately, he no longer lived in Ireland and had moved to Australia! We connected via Facebook though and he was able to fill in some of the blanks, regarding my cars past history. It turned out that my car had actually been bought new by Hamann Motorsport in Germany and had been on their 1990/91 stand at the Munich Motorshow. It was they who had carried out the subtle flaring of the rear arch and rolling of the front arch (fender) lip. In fact, it still wears a Hamann horn push. Best of all though, the previous owner still had all the service history, including the original purchase invoice, although they are in storage back in Ireland, so it looks as if I will need to be patient.

There are quite a few modifications to my car and I've added a few myself. Apart from the alloy rad, I also replaced the cheap aftermarket door mirrors with carbon fibre Schnitzer items. They weren't cheap but they're excellent quality and actually work! (the cheap ones were useless!) My single wiper started playing up and a crucial component actually failed. Luckily, the guys at Rally Prep here in Cornwall (www.rallyprep.co.uk) had another M3 they were returning to original spec' for historic racing. This meant I was able to use the Bonrath single wiper they had removed. I'm lucky to have companies like Rally Prep close by, as they really know their E30 M3. In fact, they have built them to GrpA rally spec for the likes of Chris Harris. (Check on Chris Harris on Cars on YouTube) I actually sold Chris the base car originally.

One good thing about the Compomotives is just how much room there is behind them.

Comment

Envy envy envy. Sucks that we never got these in S.Africa!

Comment

This is what it's all about - subtle mods to increase enjoyment. Really liking what you're doing with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagicle View Post
                      This is what it's all about - subtle mods to increase enjoyment. Really liking what you're doing with this.
                      I know some folk don't like it when people mod' cars like the M3, but nothing I have done is irreversible though. More than that, it's now a car I absolutely love to drive and drive hard.

With the major body repairs done, we have been addressing the smaller problems like stone chips etc. There was also a dent in the rear window hoop, that although small, was pretty annoying and caught the sunlight. Not any more though!

Thanks to a couple of contacts, I have managed to get myself a full leather interior, which includes door cards, parcel shelf and carpet. It's all black so will be a nice contrast against the fresh brilliant red paintwork. It's going to look fantastic. Hopefully you guys will agree?!

Comment

Wow. Much jealousy. Very nice.

Can't wait to see where this goes, keep it up!
                        Instagram: yobrandonnn

Comment

Sorry for the late update but my old E30 is finally back home. While I was waiting for it though, I snagged myself a set of BBS E50 reps in 5x120. They're staggered 8 & 9J with 215 & 245/40 tyres respectively. They were gold but I just don't like gold rims on red cars, so had them done silver instead.

Sorry the photo quality isn't great but you get the general idea.

Now I need to do the cam cover white and detail the engine bay. I also have a mint black leather interior ready to go in. Hopefully in time for my first show with it, on the 14th.

Comment

Dude this is so sweet i'm definitely subbed!

Comment

Love this

Comment

Working...
                              X