Work In Progress E34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work In Progress E34

In July of 2014 i bought myself an 1989 535i/5. 300k+ on the body, with a 1988 735i M30B35 swap with no more than 100k. I had plans do drop it with some nice shiny wheels.

First things first (im the realest) i bought the car in "running" condition. To get it back alive again i needed a new alternator and battery.

Next was to gut it and loose the nasty moldy interior, this was when i uncovered some rust in the floor boards, front had structural rust and rears had topical rust. I took a wire wheel to all the rust. A couple sparks later i had the paint, rust, and seam sealer stripped. Now it was time for some fiberglass, with the floors fixed i put down some undercoat to prevent any further rusting.

I had a few cans of undercoat left over so i took the fenders off, cleaned the wheel wells real good and applied some undercoat to there as well because the state of Pennsylvania absolutely loves road salt in the winter . With still more undercoat i did the somewhat rusty trunk.

Now that i was out of undercoat i moved on to do some suspension work with suspension parts that came free with the car. I replaced front sway bar links, tie rods, and rear pit man arms. I still have more parts to go in the suspension. I plan to do a suspension rebuild on Broadway Static coil overs.

I just recently finished replacing the blown slave and master clutch cylinders, and rear brake pads. Next is four new rotors and front pads.

I also re-painted all of the front trim and some engine bits.

Pictures > http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/kn...?sort=3&page=1 the picture album has not been updated for a while but will soon be.

Looks good. I am mostly a lurker on here but it is nice to see someone from nearby.

Comment

Ive been playing around lately with small things and trying to diagnose problems. I got the cooling system fully working and i now have a cool engine. I also put some seafoam in the intake manifold and cleaned all the engine components i could with out opening it up.
      Last edited by kneums; 06-23-2015, 03:55 PM.

Comment

finally starting to go back together... next up is stance

Comment

Ive been doing alot of goofing off lately and going to the junk yard for random interior bits... also came home from school one day to coolant on the drivers floor and under the driver side of the car. Found out the heater core sucked its self into its self and clogged its self... idiot.

So i ordered a new heater core with all new pipes, bolts, etc.

While i failed and ordered only 1 out of the 5 nuts and 6 bolts when i needed 5... idiot.

I went to the junk yard just recently and found a E34 with the same interior as mine. i stole the carpet and some dash pieces i finally have a carpet in my car now No more "racecar"
          Driver side needs to be re cleaned because i got in with dirty shoes... idiot.
          I also got new hood shocks so my hood doesnt try to decaitate me.
          Picture spam...

Oh also i moved my lower control arms out so now i have 0 degrees camber instead of -3 degrees thanks to blown shocks... soon to be replaced with Broadway Static coils and ill be freakin slammed

Ok bye!

Comment

Got the car almost finished. Got new ireland engineering headers, went to a shop to get a custom made exhaust and had them run it down to see what the car needed to be street legal... found out it needs nearly 3k total. I need a daily driver in 3 months and $600 a month isnt going to get me there so i decided to part the car out and buy a good running dailyable car.
            Last edited by kneums; 12-21-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kneums View Post
              Got the car almost finished. Got new ireland engineering headers, went to a shop to get a custom made exhaust and had them run it down to see what the car needed to be street legal... found out it needs nearly 3k total. I need a daily driver in 3 months and $600 a month isnt going to get me there so i decided to part the car out and buy a good running dailyable car.
              So the shop i went too... the quote was for stuff i had but it just wasn't installed or completely finished. So i am now going to keep the car after doing a complete run down i found out all i need is...

One fog light
              One tail light
              Guibo
              Trans and diff mounts
              Tires
              And exhaust

This will all come in due time hopefully before spring so i can actually drive this hunk and get started on my project s13.

Comment

So i am now going to keep the car
                Well this didn't last. Car is posted for parts, when replacing the guibo i found that it did alot more damage then expected... the trans output flange is destroyed along with the drive shaft, the uv joint mount bearing support thingy is bad too and there is a little leak at the guibo along with other minor problems that will just nickle and dime me to death.

I need a good reliable daily for next month and the e34 just isn't that, as much as i love the car and will absolutely ha,te too see it go, it has too.

Comment

Whats wrong with trans output flange? guibo is cheap, center bearing is cheap, you can find a used driveshaft cheap as well, I might even have a front section. That hardly sounds like enough to warrant a part out of a solid e34, man up!

Comment

Originally posted by jcbe34 View Post
                    Whats wrong with trans output flange? guibo is cheap, center bearing is cheap, you can find a used driveshaft cheap as well, I might even have a front section. That hardly sounds like enough to warrant a part out of a solid e34, man up!
                    The guibo was never replaced. After 300k miles it gets ugly and the guibo is almost completely gone causing the output flange to slap the guibo bolts causing the guibo bolts to slap the drive shaft. All these parts colliding with no guibo reeked havoc on the bolts and parts causing the bolts to crush them selves together and crushing all the parts around it.

Also the trans leaks from the output flange and i do not have the time nor money to rebuild the driveline, nor is it worth it. The car will cost nearly $2500 just to get it on the road. Then all the things that will break once it is on the road. I've lready spent almost 3k on it to get it to where it is now. Then there are the countless electrical issues...

It's best to cut my loses and move on as much as I **** to do it. This car means everything to me. It taught me so much about cars and it has made me countless friendships while also strengthening existing friendships.

I tried to bring this car back to life from being neglected by the previous owners for many years and i have gotten pretty dvmn far, if anyone would like to finish off what i started i would love to see the car actually get on the road.

Comment

Car is officially gone. Sold it the other day.

Comment

Car is officially gone. Sold it the other day.
                        Noooo.. Must have been a sad day..

Comment

Originally posted by kevvy_dawg View Post
                          Noooo.. Must have been a sad day..
                          Yeah man definitely was a sad day. But as much as i ha_te to see it go it needed to go and the new owner has some big plans for the drive train but sounded as if the chassis would be parted/junked.

I also really need a daily worthy car which should come this week.

Comment

Working...
                          X