Started From the Bottom: An e46 M story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started From the Bottom: An e46 M story

Roughly a week ago I parted with what was my automotive pride and joy.... After months of back and forth I decided to actually sell my MKV GTI. The good, it sold in less than two weeks and to a good home. The bad, my driveway was very empty.

Other Wheels

I had put years into building that car and I that love is what really sparked my interest into the car scene.

I knew I wanted to stay German in replacing the GTI, but what platform? I kept going back and forth between Audi and BMW. I have a huge appreciation for both but I've always been drawn to the roundel. Up until a few months ago my daily was an e36 328i. Although the car had its cosmetic flaws, mechanically it was a beast; especially considering the 190k on the odometer. I've honestly missed that thing since the day it drove away.

Once I decided on BMW the chassis was easy, e46. My wife picked up a 330i/5spd/sportpack a few months back. I thought about simply taking her car as its in very good shape, nicely modded (KW's, Borla, Stoptech Brakes), and a blast to drive. I even kicked around the idea of selling hers and using the funds to get her an 5 series wagon.

Through everything I kept going back to the M3. While a clean e46 M3 was at the top of my budget, why settle? If I am going to start from scratch then lets at least start on one of my obtainable dream cars. Of course I wanted Phoenix Yellow or Leguna Seca Blue but they typically pull a premium. Thus I started looking at Steel Grey (stahlgrau) more and more. A subtle but perfect color that goes with just about any wheel/accent color.

Inspiration

So this morning I took the trek about 90 miles south to check out an '03 Steel Grey M3. After going back and forth over the phone with the seller over the cars history, recent maintenance, and other details I realized rather quickly this guy was either about as savvy as my left shoe or was trying to pull a fast one on me.

Thankfully this wasn't my first rodeo so I decided to make the trip anyway. Worst case I was out $35 in gas and a few hours on my off day. Prior to leaving I did my due diligence and contacted the local BMW dealer as well as any Euro Automotive shop in the local area. After about 6 or 7 phone calls I had the cars full list of goodies as well as issues.

The good - All recalls done, new battery, alternator, no significant issues on prior history, and SuperSprint Header/Exhaust

The bad - The car had a hard shift into 4th.... (SMG, don't worry I was planning on eventually having the car swapped to a manual). Funny that the seller didn't mention the trans issues.

Knowing all this I wasn't very optimistic but I had set a price in mind assuming the car was cosmetically as it was said to be. I mean who buys the first car they look at?!?

Long story short, it's currently sitting in my driveway..... and although I've taken on a handful (thankfully I have very good friends), I cannot wait to get started

And that sound...

ninohale - Stanceworks(1229979) from Tapatalk on Vimeo.

Hopefully dropping the car off at my buddies shop to go through it bumper to bumper early next week. Until then, Cheers!
    Last edited by NinoHale; 01-16-2015, 08:59 PM.

Looking good man! Congrats on the sale/ purchase.
    Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

Can't wait to see what you do with it man, better be at sowo haha
      My '66 C10 Build
      My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Originally posted by 99sil-teg View Post
        Can't wait to see what you do with it man, better be at sowo haha

That's the plan... Goal for SoWo is get the car mechanically sound and put it on a nice suspension... (Leaning toward coils over air this time). A huge bonus would be wheels... I've got a good amount of funds set aside, we shall see how far they go

The car already sounds amazing w/ the headers/exhaust.... The noise alone makes me want to just drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by NinoHale; 01-17-2015, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Will watch! Looks like a good start!
          -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
          '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
          '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

I'm about half way through 73 pages of SMG issues on M3forum.net lol..... Even if this is an easy fix just swapping the car to manual may make more sense

Comment

Originally posted by NinoHale View Post
              I'm about half way through 73 pages of SMG issues on M3forum.net lol..... Even if this is an easy fix just swapping the car to manual may make more sense
              Manual swap is the only way to go!
              -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
              '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
              '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

I just bought my M5 not too long ago as well. Nice to see another M car here getting transformed! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Check mine out!
                sigpic
                E39 M5 | Jet Black | S62 | 6MT
                instagram: @adrienbroome

Comment

Awesome choice for the new build. I really hope you budgeted for the SMG. Manual swap might cost more up front, but will save you money in the long run, in addition to tow truck rides.

Comment

I'll subscribe. Lows and wheels will be looking sharp.

Comment

Started From the Bottom: An e46 M story

Originally posted by laBeef View Post
                      Awesome choice for the new build. I really hope you budgeted for the SMG. Manual swap might cost more up front, but will save you money in the long run, in addition to tow truck rides.

Manual swap will run $2ish maybe $2,500 on the high end... If I can keep the SMG short term it opens up funds for suspension/wheels.

I hear ya though.... The SMG is too complex for its own good.

Originally posted by Adrien_M5 View Post
                      I just bought my M5 not too long ago as well. Nice to see another M car here getting transformed! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Check mine out!
                      My buddy Bryan has a e39 M5.... That V8 makes me weak....

Comment

Looking good . Will watch!

Comment

Few updates.... Nothing to fancy but overall very good/important stuff.

Had some maintenance completed on the car First thing is first, gotta get it healthy.

- Fluid flush and change (SMG, Oil, and Trans). Went with SyncroMax from Royal Purple to hopefully help clean things up a bit.

- Valve adjustment along with valve cover gasket (not sure the last time, or if a valve adjustment has ever been done).

- Oil level sensor, EGT sensor, and Gear position sensor... again stuff that needed to be done.

and a handful of minor stuff... plugs, e-brake adjustment, and wipers.

Also went through the SMG and it's pretty healthy overall. The GPS helped clean up the shifts (speed and smoothness). Also checked the compression springs in the trans and found no issues.

Weather is calling for 50 and some sun on Saturday. I plan on taking a few pics.

Also reached out to Broadway Static to get an idea of next steps..... got get this thing low

Comment

Nice work so far man!! I say manual swap for sure, SMG is just too temperamental. Broadways will definitely put this thing where it needs to be
                            My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by philohlean View Post
                              Nice work so far man!! I say manual swap for sure, SMG is just too temperamental. Broadways will definitely put this thing where it needs to be

Down the road it's definitely in the cards. I'll enjoy it "as is" for as long as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X