64 Buick Wagon "Betty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great progress!

I hope I can check this thing out one day when you're done!

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

Originally posted by white out View Post
      Great build!

After all this effort, time and money. You should do an LSx based engine swap while the car is apart.
      Not as much money as you might think! Getting an LS is not that easy here in Germany, you can't find any LS equipped trucks in the junkyard. So I'd have to import one which would be simply too expensive. If I find an affordable one randomly, I totally wanna do that. But the Nailhead is a great powerplant as well.

Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
      Great progress!

I hope I can check this thing out one day when you're done!
      Yes!

Ok here's what I did this weekend. I had to finish something else, as you can see on the first picture. Guess what that is.

So I had half a sunday to work on my own project. I started building/reinforcing the drive shaft tunnel.

I can't bend .40 inch steel, so I'll have to weld that.

But my gas ran empty so I'll re-weld it all soon as I got a refill.

My build thread (Old Buick wagon content)

Comment

Nice wagon, and a lot of work going into this. Keep it up.

That compressor is massive! How many liters is that???

Comment

Originally posted by Reuvers View Post
          Nice wagon, and a lot of work going into this. Keep it up.

That compressor is massive! How many liters is that???
          Thank you, will do!

Thats 2000 liters (~530 gal)

Kinda useful. Fills up to 120psi (8bar) in less than five minutes. Then you can blast or spray stuff for like 20 minutes or whatever before it starts refilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke View Post
            Not as much money as you might think! Getting an LS is not that easy here in Germany, you can't find any LS equipped trucks in the junkyard. So I'd have to import one which would be simply too expensive. If I find an affordable one randomly, I totally wanna do that. But the Nailhead is a great powerplant as well.
            Oh yes, I didn't consider they might be a bit more difficult to come by in Germany.

Comment

I wish I had the possibility to bend a steel plate, but I don't. So I make it out of single pieces and weld them together. The problem is, there's something wrong with my welder, and I couldn't figure out what it is yet. All my recent welds look like shit and are all burned up. I'm pretty sure its a shielding gas problem, so I got a fresh bottle of argon, but that didn't change a thing. I also changed the electrode, cleaned the torch, re-attached the hose, and whatever, but nothing helped. The only thing left to change is the gas lens, but I didn't have one in stock. Then I managed to burn a hole in the rubber hose, so I had to order a new one anyway. So no welding yesterday.

Then I made some gussets for the bag mounts.

And I made this thing new. I never really liked the first one that I made, so this is some stronger material and also it is fully boxed (on that old one, the outer ends were just half-boxed if you know what I mean).

I hope my next update will feature some welding.

Comment

Wait... let me get this straight, first Wagon content and then Buick content!? Everyone out of my way, I need to subscribe!!
                Last edited by Azrial89; 12-12-2014, 04:12 PM.

------------------Buick Grand National Build--------------------

--------------The War Wagon W124 E320 Wagon----------

Comment

nice metal working there!

Comment

No updates yet, just cleand up the shop this weekend. That was really necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrial89 View Post
                      Everyone out of my way, I need to subscribe!!
                      Subbed to yours as well!

Comment

So now that my TIG welder seems to be broken, I tried some stick welding instead. It actually worked out better then I thought. I could finish the drive shaft tunnel, The gussets and re-welded parts of the bag mounts. It might not be pretty, but the penetration is very good, it is fast, it is cheap.

I also cleaned up the splatter. Not like anybody is ever gonna see that again once the body is on, but still...looks better.

Comment

What? No. We can’t stop here. This is bat country.
                          Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Happy new year y'all!

I've started this year with building my new tranny mount. My TIG welder is still broken, but at least my stick welding got better.

Test fitted the engine and trans:

Comment

Just a small update, I started making the new engine mounts.

Also bought a new welder and plasma cutter. Now I don't know how I could live without a plasma cutter before.
                              Also practiced my stick welding, now it looks really good.

Comment

Stick welding done right. Now fix the frame.
                                sigpic

BMW M5 V8 1993
                                Slowtoys CC

Comment

Working...
                                X