Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Code's Hyundai tiburon/coupe/tuscani/what ever you call it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code's Hyundai tiburon/coupe/tuscani/what ever you call it!

Okay so bare with me people. I have had this car for six years, so there is a lot to cover from when I first bought it. I will give the high points/cliff notes.

(Oh this is still an on going build. My priorities have changed so I stopped working on the car for the last two years. The last couple of months are the only time I have changed anything to it.)

So this is how it looked when I first got her. I am pretty sure this was taken the first day I bought it.

First modification I did was change the oxidized headlights with facelift headlights (2005-2006). I switched out the rc car antenna for an Ark Racing shorty antenna, and placed SeoulfulRacing angel eyes in the new headlights.

A year or longer past I didn't touch the car. Instead I just collected parts for it, and made a nice little mound. Things like;
    Seoulful Racing headers/System Upgrade headers

Rotora BBK

I managed to get a hold of a Next Generation Motorsport supercharger manifold (at the time I was a college student working part time so the funds were not there to buy a full kit out right.)

I really got tired of the look of the car. The 03-04 bumper was annoying, so I began looking for a facelift bumper. Remember at the time I was a college student so I couldn't afford a new bumper of hand. I manged to find a guy in South Carolina selling one. So ehh five to six hours to pick it up.

Month afterwards I finally had the money to have the bumper painted. While waiting I bought some tuscani emblems had them custom painted, and also received one of maybe two (at the time) carbon fiber fog light surrounds made by a guy in New York.

The car sat for a couple of months while I collected more parts. I grew worried about not being able to find an Eaton MP62 blower to match my manifold. So I went back and forth on what I wanted to do with the car. I found a good deal on a naturally aspirated NGM manifold. So I jumped the gun bought it, had a local guy powder coat it for me. Guy did an amazing job.

I went back and forward on what I wanted the engine to look like color wise. I am OCD on something so I wanted it to match or run smooth together. I hooked up the manifold and was never able to make it work. I got frustrated because of a vacuum leak I couldn't find. I never put it back on after that. I did find out a week later a guy I know was selling his Eaton MP62. So I sold off my N/A manifold to buy the blower. The supercharger sat for a year while I bought things like side skirts ect.

One day I got the crazy idea I wanted to go all out on the engine bay. My mind set for the whole time I had the car is I wanted a conservative clean look. So I said the hell with it why not have the blower 24k plated.

Remember the supercharger manifold? Well I had to get it powdercoated as well. The previous coating was chipping and I had to keep up with the color scheme I had in mind.

Instead of finsihing rebuilding the rest of my supercharger I let it sit (and it's still sitting).
    I switched my focus to wheels and suspension at this point. I did plenty of research and took the time to do what I thought was everything right. I bought an Eastwood roller. Rolled my fenders, and got camber bolts. I was impatient and had them mounted before I could lower it.

Very next thing I bought was Megan Racing coilovers. Absolutely ***** installing these, took me and a co worker eight hours to install them. So much rust on the stock suspension. I installed control arms as well the bushing on the OEM ones we had to burn out. So many annoyances.

But I absolutely loved the look, braking, and handling when I had the set up on!

The stock wheels specs are 17x7's the XXR's were 17x9.75 +25. The set up did rub but only on deep pot holes or hard cornering. I shaved the bumper brackets down but no luck. If I would of went to a good alignment shop I would of probably had no problems. At the time I was an idiot and went to two different dealerships neither would do the specs I wanted and suggested else. I learned my lesson though.

All good things must come to an end I was on my way back to work from lunch when this happened.
    The XXR's handled pretty good for what all I was using them (trips back and forth over the Appalachian mountains). I was really surprised to see there wasn't much damage on them because I drove on the wheel to pull off into the grass.
    Last edited by Code AiR; 11-12-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

After that incident I decided to sell the wheels off and go back to the stock ones.

I went back to collecting parts. Auto trans 60k miles.

Remember those headers? Yup still not installed so I gave them a little love.

After seeing the new Mini Countryman I fell in love with the Surf Blue. So I decided to change the engine color scheme.

I watched Ebay, Wheelflip, VRWheels, and various other wheel web sites looking for a good deal on some used multi pieced wheels. Finally found a set I was happy with for the price and specs.

They were in decent shape I just didn't like the colors so I changed it up.

Afterwards I came across a good deal on a used engine for me to build up a spare.

Here is how she sits now.

Last edited by Code AiR; 11-12-2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Mod list;
        Engine
        Fujita Cold Air Intake
        Flowmaster Super 44 Series 2.5 piping
        KDM System Upgrade Type C Headers (Pending Install)
        NGM Stage 0 Supercharger (Pending Install)
        Frozen Boost heat Exchanger 26x7x2 coated black (Pending Install)
        NGM Stage IV Lower Intake Manifold
        NGM Solid Motor Mounts
        NGM Fuel Pressure Regulator
        Mishimoto Transmission Cooler
        Mishimoto Radiator
        Mishimoto Water Temp Sensor
        Prosport Oil Adapter Plate

Interior
        Blue LED/SMD Conversion (In Process)
        Diode Dynamics Accent Lighting (Blue)
        Alfa Otto G3 Series Gauges
        Pioneer Avic-D3
        OEM FL2 door pulls
        Prosport Water Temp Gauge
        Prosport Oil Pressure Gauge
        OEM FL2 gear shift indicator

Suspension, Wheels, and Brakes
        DC Sports CS-1 Front Strut Bar
        DC Sports CS-2 Rear Strut Bar
        Rotora Big Brake Kit
        Rotora front slotted rotors
        Rotora Brake Pads
        Rotora stainless steal brake lines
        R1 Concepts rear drilled rotors
        Enkei Intelesse Algernon +43
        Eibach camber bolts -1.75
        Hankook Optimo 225/45/17
        Megan Racing coilovers
        Ingalls Smartarms

Exterior
        OEM FL Front Bumper Conversion
        OEM KDM FL Headlights Conversion
        OEM FL Tail lights Conversion (Code AiR Niteshaded)
        OEM FL Fog light Conversion
        SharkRacing OEM FL LED Gills Conversion
        M&S Front Lip
        SeoulfulRacing SMD Angel Eyes
        ForceFedFlesh OEM two toned emblems
        ForceFedFlesh Carbon fiber Gas Cap
        ForceFedFlesh Carbon fiber FL Fog Light Surrounds
        ForceFedFlesh Carbon fiber Exterior Pillars
        Ark Antenna
        Air Rock FL Eye Lines
        Rolled fenders

Comment

Fancy seeing you here! Looking good my friend, any shots of the engine bay with the supercharger isntalled? Or is that not in yet?
          Instagram: @_davidjackson

The Stanced Tib Build Thread

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Great looking build!

Renato
              Team TWM Performance
              TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
              sigpic

Comment

Looking good man! Im so glad to see these cars getting attention , I was lowering and modding these cars before it was cool... (sniff) showing my age..

Comment

Originally posted by davejj View Post
                  Fancy seeing you here! Looking good my friend, any shots of the engine bay with the supercharger isntalled? Or is that not in yet?
                  Hey Dave! Thanks, no the supercharger has been journey in itself. A company I dealt with from California coated inside of housing. I am worried about it messing up the rotors. I found a company in Florida that can strip it. So I'll have to strip the coating, then probably get it powder coated.

Originally posted by CBURKE View Post
                  I like it!
                  Thank you sir!

Originally posted by TWM Performance View Post
                  Great looking build!

Renato
                  Team TWM Performance
                  Thank you sir!

Originally posted by e34///M View Post
                  Looking good man! Im so glad to see these cars getting attention , I was lowering and modding these cars before it was cool... (sniff) showing my age..
                  Lol yeah I feel the same about genesis owners.

Comment

Very solid build thus far
                    Follow me on instagram: @watsupitsdenny
                    check out my bagged GTO build

Comment

Glad to see these things still getting some love despite the fact that the Genesis has taken over the Hyundai spotlight. Looks great, I dig the new wheel setup. I bet it'll rip once you install the supercharger (although I may be a little bit biased in saying that :P).
                      MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
                      Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

Originally posted by GTOguy View Post
                        Very solid build thus far
                        Thanks I hope it comes out solid when I am done lol

Originally posted by OSSHWA View Post
                        Glad to see these things still getting some love despite the fact that the Genesis has taken over the Hyundai spotlight. Looks great, I dig the new wheel setup. I bet it'll rip once you install the supercharger (although I may be a little bit biased in saying that :P).
                        Thanks people either love or **** the wheels. I hope it's fun once I boost it. I am sure the crossfire community is a lot like the Tib limited when it comes to vendors. I rarely see anyone do anything with crossfires anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Code AiR View Post
                          Thanks I hope it comes out solid when I am done lol

Thanks people either love or **** the wheels. I hope it's fun once I boost it. I am sure the crossfire community is a lot like the Tib limited when it comes to vendors. I rarely see anyone do anything with crossfires anymore.
                          The aftermarket community for Crossfires is basically non-existent. A few of the SRT-6 guys do power builds and occasionally you'll see a Crossfire lowered on some springs with battleship sunk fugly aftermarket wheels but otherwise most owners just leave their Crossfires basically stock. I have had to do alot of custom one-off stuff to my car to get it looking the way it is. And most Crossfire owners, especially the SRT-6 owners, are pretty old. I'd say most of the guys on the forum are over 50....I see quite a few in their 60's and 70's even....lol. So i'm sure that plays a big part with why you never see them "aggresively" modified like mine.
                          MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
                          Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

Originally posted by OSSHWA View Post
                            The aftermarket community for Crossfires is basically non-existent. A few of the SRT-6 guys do power builds and occasionally you'll see a Crossfire lowered on some springs with battleship sunk fugly aftermarket wheels but otherwise most owners just leave their Crossfires basically stock. I have had to do alot of custom one-off stuff to my car to get it looking the way it is. And most Crossfire owners, especially the SRT-6 owners, are pretty old. I'd say most of the guys on the forum are over 50....I see quite a few in their 60's and 70's even....lol. So i'm sure that plays a big part with why you never see them "aggresively" modified like mine.
                            Same as the tiburon community. We had one company named next generation motorsports who made up 80% of the aftermarket community for the tiburon. So when that company went down it hurt the community. Only company left that makes multiple parts for the Tib is ark racing. Most people have relied on DIY and used parts.

We don't have a bunch of old men, instead it's flooded with college students. So what little vendors are left they haggle them. I guess that's why a lot of vendors have pulled away from the car.

Comment

Nothing too new. I was having a problem with my turn signal being stuck. I re-taped some wires behind the gauge cluster. I also taped some wires under the driver side fender (I used to have LED gills hooked up to the harness). While I was messing with the harness I dremeled half of the fender liner out. Driver side hardly rubs at all now (thank God). I sprayed undercoating on all the areas exposed to the elements to prevent rusting. The turn signal sticking has been cut down significantly. It will still stick but only if it is engaged for a long period of time. I guess I am going to have to order another BCM and have the turn signal relay replaced.

I ordered some LED bulbs to replace my cigarette lighter, ash tray, and ignition ring light. The SMD bulbs I ordered wouldn't fit at all I tried everything. I even broke one trying to push it in. Needless to say I will never order plug in play SMD bulbs for my dash lights. I reordered some LED bulbs the ignition ring lights up a nice blue, but the ash tray is a horrible yellow it's supposed to be a warm white. The cigarette lighter "BARELY" lights up blue. I guess it beats the mismatched OEM orange color?

I just got in the mail today my new FL2 (face lift) shift surround. I ordered this probably three weeks ago. I am pretty happy with the way it looks. I might consider painting the chrome trim either a dark gunmetal, or wrapping it in carbon fiber (no vinyl using fabric, resin, epoxy, ect).

Comment

Working...
                              X