e30 Calypso build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e30 Calypso build

I figured I'd start a thread on stance works, as it will be low ASAP There will be LOTS of photos.

Big thanks to Bigwilly. He let me know the car was up for sale, couldn't have picked it up without the heads up.

Background:

1990 325i Calypsorot Metallic. 2 door, 220,000 miles, standard transmission. completely stock. $800 picked up locally.

Cosmetically it's both rough and straight. Paint is shot (most calypso's are). There is a single dent in the rear clip, and a few spots on the hood where it's been dented. Interior is dirty and the driver seat is thrashed.

Mechanically it seems sound. Timing belt was done 20,000 miles ago, and the head looks clean through the oil cap. There is a shutter when accelerating. Not sure if it's the guibo or the diff, but I'll get it figured out. It also needs new suspension, the shocks are shot, I'm sure the bushings are worn as well.

I'm planning on first getting this car up to snuff (fluids, cleaning, maintenance..ect)

Short term I'm going to add some cosmetic goodies that I can get from my german hook up.

Euro grilles
    Euro clock
    Smilies
    M-tech 2 wheel
    Euro plate filler
    Window tint
    Sound system (there are no speakers)
    lip

Then move onto intermediate plans

Short shift
    Coilovers
    Black interior
    Vaders
    Respray the calypso
    LSD

Long term plans

24v

Okay, enough words.

Getting her home.

There she is, dirty as all get out. I got right to it and cleaned out the engine bay. It still needs lots of love, but I was running out of light.

Spruced up the wheels as well.

Stickers removed. I have new trim so I'll just get that last one soaked off.

Well, there is the start. Tomorrow I plan on shampooing the carpets, cleaning the glass, removing all the go fast stickers, and changing the oil.
    Last edited by Cadaverous; 07-20-2014, 10:00 PM.

Tonight I got a little bit done. I lifted the car up to change the oil and the lower half of the motor is coated in oil (no surprise there really). it appears the oil pan gasket is leaking, there isn't much oil north of the pan.

I used about two litres of Purple Power and got her cleaned up a little. I really need to take a power washer to it.

Next I addressed the air filter. It still has the stock air box :bow: The filter is surprisingly clean, but I'm going to replace it, as well as the boot that leads to the front of the car.

Then I was on to the grilles, I have about 25 sets of euro grilles siting around, so I figured I'd paint a set and throw them on. Those sets are for sale keep in mind. (Mention this shameless plug an I'll give you $10 off a set t: )

I also decided to spruce up the vents and wiper arms since I had the paint out. I purchased some new wipers as well.

Lastly I cleaned the windows, they were absolutely filthy. They aren't perfect now, but much better.

Tomorrow I plan on getting the interior cleaned up a bit. I picked up some new seatbelt receivers.

Tonight I got my rear brakes done. I swear, e30 rear brakes are the worst brakes to change, I remember having a bear of a time when I did them on my zinno two years ago. Tonight was no different. I think I must suck at brake changing but I had to hammer to get the second pad in. Took about 2 hours for the rear brakes :violent:

I know, I need new rotors, they've been ordered. The brakes won't be used till they are installed.

Next I moved onto the interior, It was made up of mostly dirt, with some dirty coins, and other stuff.

Vacuumed & wiped

It got too dark to get any results photos. I spent hours scrubbing vacuuming, reapplying cleaner, repeating.

I got over $1.25 in change back. Now that's a value.

Comment

Tonight I got a little bit of work done on Calypso. First, the photos from last nights cleaning of the carpets. Could be better, but the worst is in a non visible spot, so I'm going to let it go.

Learned tonight that this car spent almost all it's life in California :clap:

My new sub came in, can't wait to get the car wired up for some awesome sound. My current e30 has a serious lack of bass.

Next was updated emblems and badge removal. I'm not a big fan of badging on cars.

Next it was time to clean the dash and remove the skull sticker above the glove box. I also threw the e36 seat I have laying around in the driver seat.

Tomorrow I'm going out to a few yards and come back with quite a few goodies. At least one can hope.

Comment

Well, maybe a change of plans for now on the interior. Today I picked up a full interior of beige hounds tooth for about $80. That includes hounds tooth sport seats. They aren't in the best shape but with a little love they will look good. I plan on going to a black interior with vaders, but that's down the road so this will do for now ;D

I had the car stuffed to the gills with parts. Including a front valance I found for Kyle (Cronopoulos). I got some looks going down the freeway, that's for sure.

The hounds tooth.

I also picked up an es lip, which I think will look good, I need to get it sanded down and repainted but that should be no trouble.

Well, got the hounds tooth in. Not the prettiest, and I'll need to clean them up a little more, but it is what it is. Much better than before. I did find a condom wrapper in the donor hounds car. I had no such luck when I pull the calypso's back seat.

Lunch time

I think I'm going to find a steam cleaner to take to those seats. I think that would do the trick of getting them clean. I've sprayed them down and vacuumed them just so they aren't super dirty, but they need more.

Tonight I just worked on the spoiler. Sanded it down, cleaned it, removed studs, and premiered it.

Tomorrow I'll get the spoiler painted and attached, rocker panels resprayed, the antenna removed and plugged, seat bolster fixed, and front brakes done.

Comment

As of today the car is registered!!

Antenna was removed and plugged. It was flaying around like a hotdog in a hallway.

Spoiler was finished up and mounted.

Air filter was replaced.

I pulled all the trim off, and painted it. There was some with a little gashing, I sanded that down so it was smooth even if it's still visible. I cracked one piece, it's hard to remove such brittle pieces. I'll be getting some euro trim, so this won't be on the car forever.

Forgot that the sprinklers come on at night :blowup: The trim should be fine, the paint was dry enough I don't think it will matter, I'll know in the morning I guess.

Next I painted the rocker panels. First I wiped them down with some solvent; dirty dirty.

Lastly, a sticker was added.

Not much tonight. I got the garage cleaned, my crack free dash picked up (thanks ajhostetter) and trim put on the front of the car.

Turns out the extra rear trim I had was from a 5er or something. I'll get the sticker pealed and that middle piece painted up.

Tonight I started in on the dash. Step one was to get the odometer gears fixed in the cluster, as well as turn back the miles. Tommorrow I need to get the old dash out, and sub wires ran.

I figured since the tittle is exempt and I have no clue how many miles are on the car I'd just turn it back to zero and know how many miles I drive the car. Easier said than done, there is no DIY for the VDO cluster, so I went ahead and figured it out, and will be making one (pending in DIY section)

There is a lot of smoke in the valley so there is some really cool orange/red light from the sun.

Well, I've made a little progress. After a weekend of fishing with my room mate, I made ad little progress today.

Out with the old, in with the new. Thanks again to ajhostetter for the crack free (mostly) dash.

Old dash is out, now I just need to get a few new parts prior to assembly.

Comment

subbed, love looking at something rough get clean.
            Keep it up!

Comment

This is wicked cool! Subbed for progress on this... keep up the awesome work.

Comment

Dang awesome job man, this is gonna be a clean car.

Comment

Originally posted by MrViicc View Post
                  subbed, love looking at something rough get clean.
                  Keep it up!
                  I'm doing my best!

Originally posted by EndlessDrift View Post
                  This is wicked cool! Subbed for progress on this... keep up the awesome work.
                  Appreciate it, I'm trying to make quick Progresso on it.

Originally posted by xDirtye30 View Post
                  Dang awesome job man, this is gonna be a clean car.
                  I sure hope so, I'm shooting for as clean as possible. Coilovers are the next big project, then paint.

Comment

Looks great man! Any plans for a motor swap?
                    Originally posted by Kyle_Eagleton
                    Come to America. We have no rules. And plenty of fast food.

Comment

Stop making me want to get an e30

I **** you

I love you

Seriously like... I LOVE you

Comment

Welp, getting everything back in was a little more challenging than expected. Well, maybe not more challenging, but more frustrated. It was 100 out all weekend.

Got the rear speakers mounted up into the premium sound covers.

I removed the tick marks from my euro clock.

Got my cluster put back together. (messed up the temp gauge so I had to scrounge a new one from the yard)

All red'd my tails, and tinted them slightly with translucent back, followed by some clear. Now they need a sand and polish.

My room mate showed up in his truck for the weekend.

And it starts to come back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Codidly View Post
                          Looks great man! Any plans for a motor swap?
                          I'm kinda torn. I want to do an s52, but it's expensive to do that, and I know I'll just want more power after.

I'm kinda thinking at this point about going to an m30 and then boosting.

Originally posted by SnazzyQ View Post
                          Stop making me want to get an e30

I **** you

I love you

Seriously like... I LOVE you
                          Do it.

DO IT.

Comment

Attention to detail. I like
                            Insta: @pantiesmores

Build: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...hlight=versace

Comment

Originally posted by Cadaverous View Post
                              Do it.

DO IT.
                              Maybe one day when I have a job and a Drivers license.

Comment

Working...
                              X