No announcement yet.

Project E28 from the Dirty South

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The humming is the ICV. Leave it jumped and go to the back of the car. If you hear something there too, it's the pump.

If it's making a clicking sound when you're trying to start it, the battery is too weak to turn it over.

The speed and reference sensor connectors like to break - try slightly bending the male connections for them to make sure they're making good contact with the female ends.

Throw a charged battery in there and see what happens. If that's it, go to Autozone (or whatever is local) and have them charge yours; the alternator just keeps a battery charged, it won't recharge a low one.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

Originally posted by CSBolger View Post
      The humming is the ICV. Leave it jumped and go to the back of the car. If you hear something there too, it's the pump.

If it's making a clicking sound when you're trying to start it, the battery is too weak to turn it over.

The speed and reference sensor connectors like to break - try slightly bending the male connections for them to make sure they're making good contact with the female ends.

Throw a charged battery in there and see what happens. If that's it, go to Autozone (or whatever is local) and have them charge yours; the alternator just keeps a battery charged, it won't recharge a low one.

ICV = Ice Cream Valve? sweet, I didn't know I had one of those.

but seriously, folks...

I definitely was NOT hearing anything from the pump. Even after I pulled the trunk carpet back and pulled the pump cover off. I know usually I can hear it turn on from the driver's seat.

I don't have money for a new battery right now so I'm hoping it doesn't need to be replaced

It's 4am here so I'm going to bed. I want to jump on the car first thing when I wake up but this is what the map looks like right now for today, Saturday

Comment

An auto parts store should be able to charge it for free. Good luck, and hopefully it's just the battery.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

An auto parts store should be able to charge it for free. Good luck, and hopefully it's just the battery.
          Yeah so the battery was only operating at 30% so we dropped in a new one. As soon as it made contact is sent the alternator in a huge puff of smoke...

Could I pull the alternator off and have it rebuilt? Maybe if it stops raining

-Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul@brawlinpictures View Post
            Yeah so the battery was only operating at 30% so we dropped in a new one. As soon as it made contact is sent the alternator in a huge puff of smoke...

Could I pull the alternator off and have it rebuilt? Maybe if it stops raining

-Paul
            Yeah you can get one rebuilt. I don't know what kind of parts stores you have, but Autozone has E28 rebuilt alternators for like $60 with a core. Not bad, and they have warranties.

Something tells me the wiring is screwy if it just blew the alternator like that. Make sure all of the grounds are in place, clean, and tight. Also be sure that everything is routed correctly.

Oh, and massive props for using King Rat in the Dirty Dubs video. That song is epic!
            Last edited by CSBolger; 04-25-2010, 04:00 AM.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

Yeah you can get one rebuilt. I don't know what kind of parts stores you have, but Autozone has E28 rebuilt alternators for like $60 with a core. Not bad, and they have warranties.

Something tells me the wiring is screwy if it just blew the alternator like that. Make sure all of the grounds are in place, clean, and tight. Also be sure that everything is routed correctly.

Oh, and massive props for using King Rat in the Dirty Dubs video. That song is epic!
              Yeah I'm gonna yank the alternator out tomorrow and try to get it rebuilt same day hopefully. I have an AutoZone, PepBoys (douchebags), and an O'Reilly's almost within walking distance of my house.

I don't understand what could've caused the alternator to bbq itself like that. No wires were touched from the time we took out the old battery, went up to the store and got a replacement, and brought it back and installed it. It just doesn't make sense.

And I'm glad you liked the video it's always nice to hear when people like your work. I can't believe how long its been since I've made a video... hopefully I'll be getting my new camera gear this week (eventhough I've been saying that for the past month).

-Paul

Comment

oh how rude of me...

I forgot to post pics from yesterday

Jonathan (evilrduck) taking off the old wheels

Paul (Paul@RevoTechnik) sayin "Dadgum, mayne"

Buttoning everything up

Proper shoot soon

-Paul

Comment

Originally posted by da3bous
                  I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

So it's been a month since my last post and even longer since the car has ran.

With so much of my time buried in school and filming, I have had very little time to work on the Bummer.

This project is supposed to be my daily driver. Yes, I haven't had a running car of my own in a few months. You can only imagine the pain that this has caused.

So I'm finishing all this up to say that the car is for sale and I'm in the process of finding a reliable daily. I still think that this could be a great little car and a fun cruiser for anyone with time to wrench. Hopefully I'll be able to get it running before it's sold. We'll see...

Until next time,
                    -Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X