No announcement yet.

My '86 944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the parts have been building for the engine.

I went to Trax a few weeks ago. Was a good show as always. On the drive home I found myself pulling over down a random road to lots of smoke and what I thought was going to be a fire :0

After getting it home it was clear the water pump had given up the ghost and an oil leak on the Cam housing.

Normally I'd simply replace these parts and carry on but as I knew the engine was so close I thought I'd just start getting it stripped down a bit earlier.

So got it on some ramps at my mates house and started pulling it apart the day before combe.

Gearbox out

Got all the crap off the underneath of the bonnet

Got the gearbox back from having the LSD fitted to put some paint on it (It's a tad lairy )

The clutch on the car has never been fantastic since I've had it and it's always felt like I have driveline shunt.

I read on the internet a year ago about the rubber in the clutch giving way over the years which is why you get the driveline shunt. Lots of people carry on driving them as a clutch job is an expensive job. I was always changing the engine out so thought I'd use it until it went bang.

Well as you can see from the following photo my clutch was well and truly ruined! It's still the clutch that was fitted in 1986 as the clutch got updated to no rubber after a few years of its release.

So 2 ring trips, lots of abuse from me and 134k on the clock I don't think it did too badly...

The amazing thing being that it still has a tiny bit of meat left on it :lol:

So that's almost where it's at.

Currently waiting on a few parts then I can get the engine back together.

Hopefully won't be off the road too long, I just want to get back in it :nod:

*****UPDATE*****

So I've spent this weekend getting the engine built up so it can be moved to the car.

Not got too many photos but this weekend has consisted of lapping valves, reassembling the head, adding pistons to the block with new rings, new bearing on the crank, head gasket, head put on to the block, cam housing put on to the head and then some tarting up of parts and refitting with new gaskets.

Anyway a few photos:

Hopefully more to follow through the week.

*****UPDATE*****
    So this is an update I've been waiting for.

Got the engine to my mates house where the car is:

Had a few minor hiccups involving it going in and coming straight out but now she's in to stay:

Now as some of you may know, I've had a few tricks up my sleeve regarding the setup of this engine. I've gone for a quick ratio S2 gearbox which is now full installed.

I've gone for a K26/6 hybrid turbo which will help with a super quick spool and make decent power with the perks of a smaller turbo charger.

I've also bitten the bullet and gone for a full ECU setup from Augment Automotive which are starting to make more updated, better products for these cars. This will allow me to have full logging capability, 3D mapping and able to bluetooth to my phone to use as gauges - This function won't be used on my car.

From what I've read it really is quite a bit of kit. Currently just waiting for the final bits to be sorted for it to come.

Here's a few photos Tom (the guy who runs the show) has sent me:
    Old Vs New Turbo and new waste gate.

So hopefully will receive these bits this week.

*****UPDATE*****
    So we've been working on the car most nights this week and all weekend.

Unfortunately we've had a lot of reworking due to not remembering which bits came off first :facepalm:

The turbo arrived so we set about getting it sorted, it got mounted up then had to be taken off and put back on due to some pipe work that had to be bolted up first.

Over the week we've got the following done:

Turbo mounted up with pipe work
    Intercooler piping fitted
    inlet and fuel rail etc fitted
    alternator, air con pump and belts
    gearbox filled with oil
    manifolds and exhaust system finished
    bonnet back on
    badge panel back on
    wiring finished apart from the turbos water pump
    sorted the dash out

lots more I've forgotten about.

Any way here are a few photos, unfortunately have been pretty slack so not got any of the current state.

So that's almost where we are, looking to get some more done over the next week.

*****UPDATE*****

So the last few days have been eventful.

Got the ECU and last parts for the car Friday. Got the car all fixed up and ready to start bar fluids.

Topped it up with oil and put some water in, immediately had water pouring out the block. After a horrific amount of cursing and a very late friday night we had found the leak on the water pump due to me not getting all of the the ol gasket off the block :facepalm: :facepalm:

So got that all that back together and had it fire up yesterday... for 3 seconds. Hasn't started since but currently being helped with the mapper Tom to try and sort it out. The ECU logging shows that everything seems right that end so only time will tell. We've got spark, fuel and compression so must be a spark timing thing or overfueling I guess.

Anyway here's a few photos:

then it was like this:

Thankfully now looking more like the top photos.

*****UPDATE*****
    So felt I should probably update this.
    After getting it back together last friday and saturday it took its first drive saturday afternoon :
    Not much to report other than it was pretty fun taking it out for the first time!

So I've been desperately trying to rack up the milage to get it run in. Up to 400 miles now but half broke it today so going to fix it tomorrow and finish the 500 tomorrow.

It's going for mapping sunday then I can see what it really feels like :

a few photos:

Clutch release bearing was our fault :facepalm: a slight installation error but appear to have sorted it now.

Was nice to get it home

So after driving it and gradually upping the revs it developed a bit of a boost leak.

Turns out it was from the bottom of the inlet so had to reseal that Tuesday

I drove in to work the next morning after sorting it and it scared me shitless :lol:

Boost came in hard and heavy at half throttle and got the back twitching :0 ... Yeah this is going to be a bit of a monster...

So the running in has been going well and really making me grin. Today I set off to get a boss welded in the exhaust for a lambda for sunday. On the way there a coolant hose decided it didn't want to hold water again so had to get a friend to tow me the rest of the way and home again :lol:

Got the boss welded in and will have a new hose tomorrow. Hopefully will get it ready for mapping and then I can see it's true potential!

*****UPDATE*****

So I sorted the water hose that had split and got the final 100 miles done. Did an oil change and put some proper coolant in it.

Then I got it mapped sunday. Got there with no issues. Took it for a gentle drive with Tom (the mapper) and he started ironing out the uneven bits of the map. We then got it on a long bit of private road where we were able to do it's first pull of the rev range. Immediately ran into our first issue. It was over boosting as the map was set to a 1 bar boost limit.

After upping the limit we did another run where we achieved a steady 1.2 bar of boost.... I ended up bottling the end of the pull because it was climbing rapidly in 3rd gear like it was 2nd

After a few issues like boost hoses popping off and losing alternator tension we went for a last pull.

Now we had connected the vacuum hoses properly we were now not losing any boost, achieving a lot more than both of us were expecting... This is now too much for the injectors. We've maxed out the injectors for a full rev range at 0.8 bar of boost - it starts to run lean on more boost.

Tom had a look online and people are claiming the standard injectors are good for 270WHP but we're not sure it's quite making that power.

So now we've left it on a safe map at 0.8 bar with the intention of upping it after xmas with new injectors and a lambda sensor which should see it making some really good power.

Delivery is pretty good at the moment but the trouble is I know what it's capable of now...

So got it home after a few issues and then I broke it right outside my house :facepalm: It's managed to loosen the power steering pump bolts and shims which have fallen off. So now got new ones on order from Porsche. Hopefully should be here in the week.

I'll get videos on the weekend :thumbs:

*****UPDATE*****

So after the last update we had a few issues.

We took it out and broke it, the wastegate had worked itself loose. We'd also noticed it was also blowing from the turbo... Great.

This meant taking off all the ancillaries to get the turbo off to change the gasket/work out why it was blowing.

Whilst dismantling it we'd found a few bolts also loose. After a long think we decided to check the timing of the balance shaft belts as we were thinking it may be rattling itself loose.

After discovering that the balance shaft belt had worked itself slack and had moved timing we were sure this was causing our issues.

After a few nights work we had it running again. It was running sooo much smoother. Since then I've been just giving it a bit of shit and it seems to be taking it quite well. I had a problem with the starter motor but that appears to have been sorted now as we had discovered a leaky slave which was leaking on to it.

So sorted the slave and have just been driving it to see how it lasts.

I've now got an issue with a CV joint but that's kind of expected seeing as it was probably the original one on the car....

Anyway enough text. Here's a quick video of it.

We hooked a mic to the outside of the car and used the onboard sound as well.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I hope that has made some vague sense…

Any comments are welcome!

Comment

Video is awesome. Car sounds and pulls like a beast.

Comment

Nice to see more details on this beauty! Awesome build.

Comment

Love it !

Comment

Originally posted by laBeef View Post
            Video is awesome. Car sounds and pulls like a beast.
            Cheers It goes much better on full boost but obviously need to sort my fuelling still

Originally posted by Forty-six and 2 View Post
            Nice to see more details on this beauty! Awesome build.
            Thanks!

Originally posted by zuze91 View Post
            Love it !

Comment

Very well done, read from start to finish. Unbelievable deal for $1k buy in.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X