No announcement yet.

Mild 86 MX72 Cressida Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey man. Awesome build! Could you explain the "custom" rear springs to me. I have sedan megan coils in the rear, needless to say, it BARELY works haha. Always slips off the perch. The megan adjustable rear shock is also way to tall, especially at my height. thanks!
    @guarantities on IG!

Comment

I got in contact with a rep from Coilsprings.com, told them I wanted like 2-2.5" lower and 400lb/in rate. I had to send them my stock springs for them to examine, and the turnaround was a couple weeks, but the springs I got in return fit perfectly. That said, to lower the car and raise the rate so much (stock springs are like 120lb/in) the new springs are dramatically shorter than stock, so I'm using an old offroad trick of using limit straps to keep the axle from drooping when you jack the car up, otherwise the springs could come unseated if you ever caught air or put it up on a lift.
      @thedailydownshift

Comment

AWESOME! thank you very much man!
        @guarantities on IG!

Comment

Dude, phenominal build! Makes me want a cressy wagon so bad!! Keep up the great work.
          Cheers!
          Brandon

IG @straightsixfiend

Build Thread: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67173

Sig 69 by Vintage Element Photography, on Flickr

Comment

Driving to work today I noticed several dummy lights on the dash were lit up. Battery, brake, and the tail light bulb outage warning lights were all lit up. Tested my alternator at work and it's putting out precisely one amp. I have ordered a Denso reman unit from RockAuto, and will probably order a voltage regulator and brushes to rebuild the old one to keep as a spare.
            @thedailydownshift

Comment

Dude, this thing is awesome! Great work, keep it up!
              SAAB 900 T16s

Comment

I've been concerned that the rear axle limit straps might pull through the floor of the car, so I added some reinforcement with some scrap steel I had laying around just for my own peace of mind.
                Disclaimer: that's totally NOT a stop sign.....>_> <_< >_>

@thedailydownshift

Comment

So my radiator sprung a leak and I decided to upgrade.

I got the old radiator out, as well as the AC condenser and lines, and got the new radiator in. It's a aluminum unit for a MK3 Supra Turbo (found it for only like $20 more than a new stock replacement).

Due to the fact that this thing is like twice as thick as the stock radiator, my awesome Volvo electric fan setup won't clear the pulleys on the engine. I'm going to shop around for a new fan and see what I can find.

I also plan to use either sheet metal or coroplast to properly duct the radiator, and maybe re-position my oil cooler to get more airflow, as well as adding a power steering cooler. This thing is gonna have one hell of a cooling system.
                  @thedailydownshift

Comment

@thedailydownshift

Comment

Got a fan. Flex-a-lite #114.

14" (the height of the radiator core), roughly 1,600 cf/m flow. I haven't wired it up yet, but it's mounted to the back of the radiator and fits perfectly.

I also stopped by Lowe's and picked up a 30" x 36" board of coroplast to construct block-off panels to duct air to the radiator more efficiently. It's not pretty but it should work REALLY well.

@thedailydownshift

Comment

rad

IG : TARTOCITRONN

Comment

Just fyi, you may want to upgrade your motor mounts now that your using a far stiffer tranny mount. The twisting action of the motor "may" eventually crack the bell-housing. You might do a little research to confirm this.

Comment

Such a nice looking wagon, look forward to more updates on the engine build

Comment

So Friday night I'm driving my girlfriend home after a movie with some friends and notice that the rear window is getting wet, but it's not raining. I pull into a gas station and notice that the car is puking coolant from somewhere under the intake manifold. Even though the flashing "Open" sign was on, the station was actually closed, as was the station next door. After running across the 4-lane road to another station (keep in mind it's about 12*F at this point) I was able to buy a few gallons of coolant. Upon removing the radiator cap, it promptly exploded straight up about 10' in the air due to hot air pressure in the mostly-empty system. I ended up being able to limp it home by stopping every 15 minutes or so (my girlfriend and I live an hour apart) to top off the coolant.

It looks like there are two oddly-shaped coolant lines, and one big hose that run under/through the manifold. One of the smaller lines was definitely leaking, but I'm going to replace all of them in one go, since the intake manifold had to come off to do it.

22210C and 22210D are the crazy looking hoses of which I spoke.
                              @thedailydownshift

Comment

Ah, you got attacked by the infamous "Suicide Hose". Very common problem with 5m's. I haven't had a problem with mine yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gave out soon.
                                Cheers!
                                Brandon

IG @straightsixfiend

Build Thread: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67173

Sig 69 by Vintage Element Photography, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X