Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 M535i from Finland - The project that got out of hand!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this thread again. Subscribed.

Originally posted by y200yk
    Russian post is just an ass
    my steering wheel from Lithuania went almost a month! bitches

Comment

Little progress..

New parking brake shoes and fitting kit, adjustment screw and expanding lock are old (cant replace every single part);

Few pics under the car:

Bolted the cross member, steering parts, control arms and tie rod arms on:

Sorry about the crap pic!!

Didnt fit the struts as i have to install the ABS-sensor adapters, and quite possible cut out the original sensor mounts.
      The bigger E35 ABS rings turned out to be too big in diameter for this..

Found out that the lift pump inside fuel tank is dead. Thinking of replacing it with a lift pump from Volvo 240/740. The BMW original pump cost ~250$, Volvo one ~50$.. Hopefully the Volvo pump capacity is enough for this.

-Timo
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Mushroom Motorsport - Performance since 2003

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

This is an awesome build!

Just find out that Cossie working at the same company and sit almost next to me @office!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony.S View Post
          This is an awesome build!

Just find out that Cossie working at the same company and sit almost next to me @office!
          lol, big world

Comment

Small world indeed!

Thanks to everyone of the kind words! Really appreciate them!

Little progress again. Its unbelievable how much these little tasks take time..
            Today i modded the rear silencer bracket, which i bought from a friend yesterday.
            Now the bracket fits aftermarket silencer:

Took few better pics of the status on the front suspension:

Found out that the head is from newer M30: there are douple valve springs and texts 1708843 and 1/2M30B35:

I think the cam is stock: markings BMW, 7630 and a logo as in pic below:

The profile:

Planning on ordering rockers, CroMo retainers and rocker locks from Ireland Engineering and stage 1 valve springs from PurePF. These allow me to raise the rev limiter to 7000rpm. Hopefully..

-Timo
            Last edited by cossie; 02-12-2014, 03:55 PM.

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

This thing will be priceless when finished, absolutely fantastic job. its looking awesome
              aaron by Jeremy King, on Flickr

Comment

There hasnt been much progress on the project past week or so, but atleast i got some parts ordered..

-FAG front bearings
                -Brembo front disks
                -IE HD rockers
                -IE rocker locks
                -IE CroMo retainers
                -IE urethane steering coupler
                -IE steel braided clutch hose
                -IE studs and nuts for exhaust manifolt
                -Turner Motorsport steel braided brake hose kit
                -Autometer; wide band A/F, oil pressure ja oil temp meters

Applied some seam sealer inside the car last week, will surface paint the spots tomorrow.
                Masked off the wheel centers and handed them over to the painter last weekend.

Planning on laying down the sound insulation this weekend with my friend. Got two packs of STP silver. Similar to dynamat.

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

Project tries to fight me.

-the Brembo disks arent available any more, TRW ones ordered instead.
                  -cant use E34 abs-sensors on rear axle. Have to order new E28 ones or come up with something else..
                  -little while ago ordered repair kits for brake calipers, turned out that the rear ones had wrong seals. Got a full refund.

Got a new lift pump installed, originally used on AMG Mercs. Also made a little deflector plate for return line (the original strainer has similar setup), had to cut down the plate after taking the pics to make the package fit through the hole in tank. Fitted the pump and fuel level sensor to the tank with new o-rings:

Calipers assembled with new seals and bleed screws:

Shifter assembly back together; new shift lever (Z3 non-M) and new bushes.
                  Upgraded original fuel pressure regulator with new cover (AM-Works), the new cover makes it adjustable:

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

Absolutely incredible work. This inspires me to never give up on a project.
                    My Build Thread

Comment

Started sound proofing the car with STP-mat. Most of the cockpit and doors are done:

Still want to add sound proofing mat on A- and B-pillar bottom ends. The trunk not done and i might add a stripe of mat on roof also, as i have to replace the roof lining

Front struts mounted:

Last thing today was to get the ABS wire harness back on its place.
                      Next up is wire harness repairs, mostly taping them back together and fixing few bad repairs made by previous owners.

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

Little progress again. Not much to photograpf, so not many pics..

Have been fixing wire harnesses, still some repairs to do. Next up is installing the burgular alarm and few needed modifications to the wires, ie. the windshield washer bottle will be moved to different location.

Bolted the fuel pump (Bosch -044) and new filter to original pump/filter-mount. And lifted it to its place, new rubber insulators from some Merc air cleaner box. Also ran a new thicker wires from ECU to pumps:

ABS-sensor and the adapter bolted to the strut. Setup came out nice:

New bearing/hubs, new disks and reconditioned calipers. The calipers and disks are just for mock up, not final assembly:

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

Your build is mindblowing. The amount of time and effort you've put into your car is staggering compared to what 99% of us do.

I'm thoroughly impressed with your fabrication skills and your attention to detail, as well as making sure everything is done the right way. Keep up the fantastic work, this build is something to watch.
                          BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                          Originally posted by Ollie
                          We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                            Your build is mindblowing. The amount of time and effort you've put into your car is staggering compared to what 99% of us do.

I'm thoroughly impressed with your fabrication skills and your attention to detail, as well as making sure everything is done the right way. Keep up the fantastic work, this build is something to watch.
                            Thanks!
                            Although i consider myself a beginner..

Better pic of the abs-senror, adapter, hub-package:

Lifted the engine on to a stand and bolted manifolts, turbos and down pipes on. Turned the turbo housings to their correct alignment. Next up is to fabricate waste gate actuator mounts and oil return lines. Then its time to tear down the engine:

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

One of the toughest E28 projects on the planet!

Congratulations.

Comment

man, the work on this thing is insane. good to see someone saving a car so meticulously.

Comment

Working...
                                X