Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 M535i from Finland - The project that got out of hand!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw it on ACS, looking good man. looks real sleeper!
    Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
    Now: MB W211 320cdi
    Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

• Originally posted by Exami View Post
      Saw it on ACS, looking good man. looks real sleeper!
      Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Lack of motivation after the show. Have been trying to get the small things done..

-gear linkage wasnt working after the show. sorted it out, but forward/backward movement is still sketchy..
      -attached battery cables and turned the power on
      -rotated the engine with started, got the oil pressure up to 2,5bar
      -got the burglar alarm working
      -got the interior lights working

-Timo
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Mushroom Motorsport - Performance since 2003

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Got the car running last week. \o/

First it started with only two cylinders firing, four injectors were stuck. Got three of them open with 24volts, but one of them didnt open even with 36volts.
        So i took out all of the injectors and got the last one open by tapping it against safety shoes tip and conducting 24volts to it.
        I left the injectors submerged in WD40 for the night.

I bought the injectors few years back as tested and washed. We came to conclusion that the washing solution must have made them stuck..

The next day i tested the injectors so i could be sure that they all were delivering the same amount of fuel.
        I attached the injectors to the fuel rail, placed other end of injectors to soda bottles, turned on the fuel pump and drove the injectors all at the same time with cables and a battery.

Test setup:

Delivery of one injector, all were very close to each other:

I installed injectors back on car and started it, firing on all cylinders:

(few valve clearances are off, thats why it sounds like concrete mixer)

Exhaust note @ about idle:

Still lot to do with the ECU adjustment, but getting there..

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Oh WoW!
          There is alot of knowledge here. I am just love the car and love the mechanic job but
          didn't study in this field. I use internet to find an information and there are some friends from
          IG or here so nice as you give me a tech. I also can wire the engine ECU but a little.
          I love the way you build your bmw, now I try to make the header, colletor and your thread give so clear.
          Thank you sir _/|\_
          Keep your project up!
          https://www.instagram.com/phet_fresh/

Comment

• Originally posted by phet_fresh View Post
            Oh WoW!
            There is alot of knowledge here. I am just love the car and love the mechanic job but
            didn't study in this field. I use internet to find an information and there are some friends from
            IG or here so nice as you give me a tech. I also can wire the engine ECU but a little.
            I love the way you build your bmw, now I try to make the header, colletor and your thread give so clear.
            Thank you sir _/|_
            Keep your project up!
            Thanks alot!

----------------------------------------------------------------
            Slow progress and setbacks on the project.

Car developed a miss fire soon after first start up. Chased that for a week or so. Turned out that coil and ignition driver were faulty..

After i got the miss fire fixed, i tried to drive the car, but the clutch felt odd. Heavy pedal and it doesnt release very well. Also the clutch grabs after about 5mm of pedal travel.
            It might be that the SRE -765 pressure plate needs a spacer between release bearing and clutch fork. Or a longer release bearing.
            So, next up is taking the gear box down..

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• One step back, half a step forward..

Before i tore anything apart I made this bracket, with which i could measure the needed travel of clutch fork for clutch to release:

Measured that the cluth slave cylinder propably bottomed out before clutch released.

So it was time to drop the box:

..and modify the fork:

Bolted the box back on the car and made new measurements, and it seems promising.
              Now i have to bolt everything i took off back on car and try if the damn thing works.

Other things i've been up to:
              -Repositioned the coil pack to much cooler place by the blower motor
              -Made a heat shield for the wires and brake lines, almost ready. Still needs some welding, captive nuts and matte black paint:

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Aaaand it didn't work..
                Had to swap the main cylinder once again (new part to new part). After that i got the clutch to release, but found out that the pedal bracket had cracked some point
                before i've owned the car. It had been welded back together, but was flexing under pressure.

I bought another e28 for parts car few weeks back. Got the pedal assembly from that one, the pedal bracket turned out almost new.
                Still decided to brace it a bit:

Going to garage tonight to swap the new assembly in..

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Smarter one gave up, clutch works!!

Old bracket was cracked in two places. Someone had welded one of the cracks.

Friend of mine is coming to help me tune the ECU a little today, so i can drive few miles before i take the car to dyno for final tuning.

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• First 60kms driven..

Got the car out with friend who mapped the ECU as i drove. Drives really smooth and effortless, feels like there is plenty of torque..

As i backed the car back to garage, it blew a 10A fuse. Fuse is for injector supply and few sensors/PWM outputs supply. Turned out that there is something wrong with the wiring harness going to trigger sensor. Luckily not difficult to fix!

Some jobs to do before dyno tuning and power runs:
                    -change the viscous coupling for radiator fan. Water temp rises over 100C when stationary
                    -change spark plugs and engine oil.
                    -get wheel aligment done

-Timo
                    Last edited by cossie; 06-26-2015, 04:43 AM.

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Originally posted by cossie View Post
                      One step back, half a step forward..

Before i tore anything apart I made this bracket, with which i could measure the needed travel of clutch fork for clutch to release:

Measured that the cluth slave cylinder propably bottomed out before clutch released.

So it was time to drop the box:

..and modify the fork:

Bolted the box back on the car and made new measurements, and it seems promising.
                      Now i have to bolt everything i took off back on car and try if the damn thing works.

Other things i've been up to:
                      -Repositioned the coil pack to much cooler place by the blower motor
                      -Made a heat shield for the wires and brake lines, almost ready. Still needs some welding, captive nuts and matte black paint:

-Timo
                      Originally posted by cossie View Post
                      First 60kms driven..

Got the car out with friend who mapped the ECU as i drove. Drives really smooth and effortless, feels like there is plenty of torque..

As i backed the car back to garage, it blew a 10A fuse. Fuse is for injector supply and few sensors/PWM outputs supply. Turned out that there is something wrong with the wiring harness going to trigger sensor. Luckily not difficult to fix!

Some jobs to do before dyno tuning and power runs:
                      -change the viscous coupling for radiator fan. Water temp rises over 100C when stationary
                      -change spark plugs and engine oil.
                      -get wheel aligment done

-Timo
                      I love everything this thread, that header

So no issue about clutch pressure?

And you could adjust the map on stock ecu? or the after market ecu?
                      keep it up man
                      https://www.instagram.com/phet_fresh/

Comment

• Originally posted by phet_fresh View Post
                        I love everything this thread, that header

So no issue about clutch pressure?

And you could adjust the map on stock ecu? or the after market ecu?
                        keep it up man
                        Got the clutch working, but the Haltech aftermarket ECU is giving me gray hairs.. Still not working properly.

I think i have to buy a new engine management and get this thing on the road!

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Made a little modification to ECU wiring and got the car run on six cylinders. Dyno mapping next and hopefully i get to drive the car for couple of thousand kms this fall.
                          Planning to change the engine management during winter.

Did mid bass boxes under front seats as the speakers couldnt be mounted in kick panels. They were too big and glove box wouldnt have opened.

Mounted:

-Timo
                          Last edited by cossie; 08-28-2015, 07:56 AM.

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Nice solution for the speakers! I might do the same with my W124 i think
                            Lucas
                            Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                            Originally posted by LCG
                            High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

• Got the damn thing working after couple of set-backs!!
                              It gave 426HP/648Nm(thats 478lb ft) @0,8bar on dyno yesterday.. (flywheel power)

Few minor jobs to do before the car is finished, also the sound system needs head unit, amplifier and sub to be installed.

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Fantastic!! You must be super happy.
                                _____________________________MY BUILD THREAD_____________________________

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Comment

Working...
                                X