No announcement yet.

E39 Build: 6.0 LS. Coils. Burnouts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which brings us to this past weekend. Was cleaning up the garage a bit on Sunday morning, on a whim decided to hop on the local Craigslist and do the usual search for "6.0". Lo and behold there was one locally for cheap, with a "slight knock", For my purposes, perfect! It came with some nice parts that will help recoup some costs. Loaded her up and had it home before noon. Not much info on the motor other than that it "came out of a steak truck" (LOL) and had aluminum 317 heads (so, it was at least a 2001+).

Yanked the intake and heads and checked bores, they looked great for unknown mileage.

Removed the remaining 15 valve springs at my super fancy cylinder head service bench. Wine and cheese come standard

Awaiting these LS2 full floating rods/pistons, should be here tomorrow - can't say no to more compression while I'm in there!

Tonight I'm borrowing a friend's engine crank to finally put the new motor on the stand. I had my old man drop off the power washer last night (and fixed a broken switch on it), so as soon as it's completely torn down, I will drag the block over to the neighbor's front yard and start cleaning it up.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

• Your build is meticulous and stunning. Thumbs up!

- Renato
      TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
      sigpic

Comment

• Man, that sure sucks about the blown motor, but glad you are staying optimistic. Can't wait to hear it run on the new set up!

Comment

• buy my wheel spacers.

Comment

• Man I love what you've done here, and I got mad respect for your elf taught ingenuity! I'm also an engineer, I finding my fellow professionals who also crunch numbers and read diagrams by day, and let of steam with fabrication and construction/destruction by night.

Keep it up!

Comment

• Wow, so much respect your build.
              https://www.instagram.com/phet_fresh/

Comment

• so, a quick non pictorial update. I decided to go with some new pistons rather than reusing the LS2 stuff - and since the oversize units cost the same as the regular 4.00" bore, I decided to have the cylinders bored .030" over for a 370 build.
                So here's the rundown on the new motor
                2002 LQ4 Iron 6.0 pulled from "steak" truck - craigslist yeehaw special.
                Stock crank, .010 undersize mains
                Sealed Power Speed-Pro flat top pistons (4.030" Bore)
                Stock gen 3 rods, LS6 rod bolts
                New Clevite P rod bearings, cam bearings, main bearings, etc
                GTO oil pan, pickup tube, windage tray
                Sticking with the same cam, TSP 228R (228/228, .588/.588 @ 112*)

Top end:
                317 heads milled .024” for 66cc chambers
                No porting, stock otherwise
                GM 6.0 MLS headgaskets
                ARP headbolts
                TSP pushrods, dual springs, titanium retainers

Intake:
                Stock LS6 intake manifold
                LS6 throttle body
                3" pipe with stock LQ4 MAF, cone filter
                Stock LS6 fuel rail, with 42# Ford Greentop injectors

Exhaust:
                CTSV cast iron manifolds with the cats removed, into OEM BMW exhaust with 2 secondary cats.
                3" QTP Cutout/exhaust dump before all mufflers/ resonators

Motor is at the machine shop now, I will be doing the top end assembly myself. Still need to tie up a few loose ends before it's ready for the car, like this:

Comment

• Wish I had your attitude.

Such a great build dude.

Comment

• attitudes adjustments are free, hop to it and do work

Comment

• quick update - between the day job and working on the car I am pulling some 16+ hour days here (and will be for the next week)

the good news is that things are moving right along with no issues (aside from misplacing my tube of RTV and spending 45 mins looking for it).

Tuesday 6pm, motor picked up from builder. Bottom end (crank, pistons, rods) assembled, otherwise a totally bare block
                      IMG_20150602_170056_314 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Tuesday 11pm
                      Block cleaned, masked, painted, all block coolant and oil plugs installed, oil tray on, cleaned and prepped oil pan/windage tray/pickup tube/oil pipes. Head dowels in. Crank and cam sensors in, along with valley cover and knock sensors. Had to call it quits as I was waiting on the oil barbell plug and a new timing chain. I love Summit Racing
                      IMG_20150602_220307_082 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Wednesday 11pm
                      New timing chain installed and motor timed (LOL), cam bolts loctited and torqued. Oil pump installed, oil pickup tube inspected and installed (don't screw up that o-ring!) Rear cover and main seal installed, balancer pulled on to align front cover and main seal, both covers aligned and torqued. Oil pan and accessories installed, sealed and torqued, alignment checked. Deck surface cleaned, headgaskets and heads installed and ARP bolts torqued in sequence to spec. Wrapped up the night by installing and torquing 8 new spark plugs.
                      IMG_20150603_221917_087 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I am taking a ton of pictures with my other camera for documentation's sake but don't have time to make my usual very long winded post so those will have to wait until a few weeks from now

Comment

• Cylinder Head Cleaning and Reassembly
                        Since one of my 317 heads was trashed from the bent/broken valve in the initial mishap, I decided to go down a different route with heads and grab a used set of 241s locally - they were very clean, low mileage, and the price was right. Although they don't technically flow as well as 317s, I was willing to give them a try since I did not have to mill them to bring up compression.

The heads came assembled with stock springs and valves, but the previous owner had installed a set of stud-style rocker mounts (with loctite), so I spent an evening with a handheld MAP torch coaxing them out.

IMG_20150530_200448_163 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Before pictures - heads were removed from a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am with 50,000 miles.
                        _DSC3835 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC3836 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I cleaned all surfaces with a rag and isopropyl alcohol to remove grease and dirt, and then ran a plastic scraping tool over all surfaces to remove the last of the old gasket material. They came out looking very nice.

Bare valve seat base
                        _DSC3838 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Seats installed
                        _DSC3839 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Brand new PRC dual valve springs with Titanium valve retainers.
                        _DSC3841 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Installed using my homemade spring compressor.
                        _DSC3842 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Before and after cleaning service on the heads, all done by hand. I actually really enjoyed this part.
                        _DSC3844 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr
                        The heads came out really nicely in the end. Of course I installed all new GM OEM valve seats and seals in addition to the dual springs and Ti retainers. The factory valve locks were in good shape and were reused.
                        _DSC3850 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Comment

• Engine block cleanup and paint

Bottom end came back from the machine shop on Tuesday June 2nd, so I jumped right in.

_DSC3854 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC3855 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Unwrapping the goodies
                          _DSC3856 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Flat-top piston goodness. My builder oiled the motor lightly to prevent flash corrosion on deck surfaces
                          _DSC3857 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Up on the stand, degreased, taped, and ready for paint
                          _DSC3858 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I had a set of nasty looking front and rear covers laying around, so rather than tape off those areas, I just snugged them up with 2 bolts to keep the paint out of the internals.
                          _DSC3859 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC3860 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I chose a high high engine primer to start with, followed by medium gray high heat engine enamel. The idea was a nice "clean" color that would make leaks easy to spot, and not draw too much attention. I was going to go with an aluminum alloy silver, but since this is an iron block, it wouldn't have looked "right" on the porous iron texture.
                          _DSC3861 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr
                          Certainly won't win any concourse awards but I like how it came out.
                          _DSC3862 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Oil pan was welded up by a local shop and got a fresh coat of silver aluminum color paint.
                          _DSC3863 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Comment

• Bottom End Assembly

Scat I Beam Forged Rods, ARP hardware
                            _DSC3868 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC3870 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

The stock crank was in good shape, so it was reused - rod journals were within clearance and were just polished, but the mains needed to be ground .010 with appropriate size Clevite "P" bearings installed.

_DSC3872 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC3873 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC3874 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Ready for the oil pan.
                            _DSC3875 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

A new oil galley barbell plug was installed as the old one's o-ring had grown brittle and dry.

_DSC3876 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

A new OEM GM LS2 timing chain replaced the weaker factory Gen 3 chain.
                            _DSC3877 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I have to find the pictures, but I also disassembled the stock oil pump and scrubbed every component. Nothing special to report besides the typical oil staining and deposits. The pressure relief spring was not stuck, but I still cleaned the spring bore to make sure it moved perfectly.
                            Oil pump was installed over new timing set followed by front and rear covers, which each received a new main seal. Oil control tray, was installed followed by the pickup tube (don't pinch that o-ring!). Lastly the balancer was pressed on using my homemade tool (M16x2 threaded rod, washers, nuts, thrust bearing)
                            _DSC3881 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Pilot bearing was replaced with a new OEM unit
                            _DSC3880 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Dab of RTV at the corners of the front and rear covers seals them against the oil pain
                            _DSC3882 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I removed the windage tray, internal pan oil tubes, and pickup tube, and cleaned them with warm soapy water to make sure no foreign material was hiding in there. Cleaned them up and blew out with compressed air to make them like new.
                            _DSC3883 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Oil pan on, aligned, and torqued.
                            _DSC3884 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Comment

• Hey buddy. Awesome work. Check into some l92 heads for this thing. Keep it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• This thing is gnarly dude awesome work.

Comment

Working...
                                X